Player ratings v Maidenhead

Elite_pie

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

Slocombe 6.5 - not tested enough to merit a high mark, but didn't do a lot wrong.
Brindley 7 - much better than Tuesday, defended well.
Taylor 6 - a bit hit and miss, looks for the safe pass a bit too often when he should be crossing it.
Lacey 7 - more like the Lacey we know. Held us together when Cameron went off.
Cameron 6.5 - brought the ball out of defence well, hope his injury is a minor one.
Francis 7.5* - impressed me today. Some really good forward balls and imposed himself more.
Palmer 7 - not a good first half, but made up for it in the second.
Roberts 5.5 - nothing seemed to go his way. Flashes of what he is capable of, but a poor penalty and a petulant booking limits his mark.
Ruben 5.5 - again below par. The slightly deeper role doesn't suit what he is best at, he struggled to get into scoring positions.
Wootton 6 - can't fault his effort, but he didn't get a lot of service.
Mitchell 5.5 - I think there's a good player there, but he didn't show it today.

Subs-

O’Brien 6 - typical JOB, some things worked and some didn't, but I love his passion.
Chicksen 7 - a really good replacement for Cameron. Solid, and a very useful squad member who is a bit unlucky not to start.

Brilliant that we got another 3 points, but this game once again provided more questions than answers.  We did the job against limited opposition, we need to show that we can do the same against the better teams.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,796
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Just back to South London

So normally aligned with @Elite_pie in reading a game, but I thought Francis had a shocker. For every one decent pass, there were some complete dross.

Slocombe 6 well protected but was called on a couple of times to make decent saves

Brindley 6 Like when he does his forward runs into space, though once, he got  badly caught

Taylor 5.5 Very much a confidence player, just checks inside all too often

Lacey 7.5 One early mistake, but didnt put a foot wrong. MoTM

Cameron 6.5 Went off injured, some good, some bad...but it's good to have his heading ability in attacking situations

Francis 4 see opening comment. Need a younger Neal Bishop in this role

Palmer 6 Much improved 2nd half, if only he had some scoring boots on him. Mr recycle the ball

Roberts 6 There is a sense of anticipation, like in the days of McSwegan when he gets the ball. Poor penalty and missed a beautiful set up from Ruben. Marked down with a stupid booking

Ruben 6.5 Poor first half, but in reality, was well marked. Some good 2nd half moments

Wootton 6  Not a lot of chances, effort yes,but things didnt click today

Mitchell 6 A step up on Sam, really needs a goal for confidence

Subs

JOB 6 I lost count the number of his runs where no pass was forthcoming.

Chicksen 7 Very much a player reborn under Ian. Slotted in well

Better teams may find us out defensively. Can we raid Derby for a centre half and midfield general a la Neal Bishop?

• Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

29 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

Francis 4 see opening comment. Need a younger Neal Bishop in this role

I'd even be tempted by the current Neal Bishop.  The one thing we really lack is a dynamic box-to-box midfielder like Bishop or Ryan Yates.

• Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Slocombe – 6.5 - Good save in the first half, quick to come and deal with balls into the box.

Brindley – 7 - Usually positive and forward on the ball, some good strong defending as well.

Lacey – 7 - Good distribution, very solid on the whole dealt well with Blissett.

Cameron – 6.5 - He's also good on the ball but defensively he was caught out a few times.

Taylor – 6.5 - Grew into the game, always tried to get forward and some good powerful runs.

Francis – 6.5 - Some of his passing was great, some of his passing not so. Second half he dictated the game more which was encouraging.

Palmer – 6.5 - Similar to Francis, both looked a bit off the pace first half. Full of running but just thought when he got into the final third he wasn't great.

Roberts – 6.5 - Probably our best attacking threat, think he needs to be stronger sometimes rather than just going to ground looking for a soft free-kick. The less said about the penalty the better.

Rodrigues – 6 - Really off game for him first half, passing was poor and overdid it at times when just the simple option was on... Better when he moved higher up for the last period of the game.

Mitchell – 5.5 - Quiet game, a couple of good runs on the ball but didn't really trouble the Maidenhead defence.

Wootton – 6 - Can’t fault the work rate and tidy on the ball when we pinged it too him but the Maidenhead CBs dealt with him.

Subs

Chicksen – 7 - Solid, very calm on the ball, always seems to read the game well.

O’Brien – 6 - Added a bit of energy but like the other midfielders passing wasn't always great.

Kelly-Evans – N/A

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I thought Alex Lacey, Cal Roberts, Ruben Rodrigues and Kyle Wootton all had poor games.

The rest of the squad did okay in my eyes, I wouldn't say anyone was terrible or didn't put in the effort. I just think they were poor in their display, and I'll explain why.

Alex Lacey; He lost his man a fair bit, got tricked several times into being out of position, and although he would make up for it. He relied on Richard Brindley heavily to cover and clean up things when he couldn't handle Maidenheads players himself.

Cal Roberts; He wasn't focused on in the zone, he allowed Maidenhead and the officials to get inside his head. He tried, I give him that, but his decision-making and general play was just ineffective. We could've taken him off at half-time without noticing he had gone, by his standards it's unlike him, but frustration got to him. It happens, but he was quite poor.

Ruben Rodrigues; He looks unfit or almost like he's carry a knock. Whatever he did, it just never led to anything creative. He was very clumsy and wasteful of the ball. He tried, as did everyone but something is causing this, and I don't think it's simply down to a poor game.

Kyle Wootton; Tried, chased, but any other striker would fall into criticism due to his decision-making. Unlike normal, he never looked likely to score (again, this will happen from time to time). He never got himself into a position to do much, like others he'd run himself into problems. He didn't seem to offer much pace, and I do generally feel he might need some rest. Yet he's the type of player we can't just drop.

The rest of the squad did okay. I think Richard Brindley deserves credit for a very respectable performance Ed Francis would be one of those I feel deserved claim for Man of the Match - alongside Matt Palmer.

• Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Slocombe - 7.5 - Very good saves, one close up. Came for everything else and distribution was good.

Cameron - 6.5 - Very good assist/goal (?), but had a couple of lapses defensively. Might just be me, but seems to switch off/make daft decisions defensively.
Lacey - 8 - Rolls royce. Seems to glide through the game. Good goal (?). 
Brindley - 8 - Made a lot of vital tackles / interceptions that would could have been unnoticed. 
Taylor - 6 - Doesn't back himself 1 on 1 when the ball is a bit static. Often should cross first time and doesn't and works himself into a bit of a hole. Improved second half and good run/shot that almost sneaked in.

Francis - 6 - Does some good stuff, very good balls at times. Would like him to rat around more than he does in that defensive position. Sometimes plays sloppy passes/ looks like he'll give the ball away easily.
Palmer - 6.5 - Not overly influential, but very neat and tidy when involved.
Roberts - 5 - Not his game. Beat his man a few times but finishing well off today. Should neatly side-foot the 1 on 1 but attempts top bins - didn't need to. 
Rodrigues - 6 - Sometimes tries to do much in and around the box. Put your foot through it! Should have had an assist for Roberts after some good work. 

Wootton - 7 - Does a lot of the hard yards and toiled well. Even dropped into CB when we lost Cameron and Lacey had to go off for a shirt change / Terry Butcher job.
Mitchell - 6.5 - Did well, near post shot saved. 

Chicksen - 7 - Slotted in seamlessly. Comfortable on the ball.
JOB - 6.5 - Injected pace.
DKE - N/A.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  44
  • Days Won:  1
  • 𝕏:  twitter @chogger5

15 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Slocombe - 7.5 - Very good saves, one close up. Came for everything else and distribution was good.

Cameron - 6.5 - Very good assist/goal (?), but had a couple of lapses defensively. Might just be me, but seems to switch off/make daft decisions defensively.
Lacey - 8 - Rolls royce. Seems to glide through the game. Good goal (?). 
Brindley - 8 - Made a lot of vital tackles / interceptions that would could have been unnoticed. 
Taylor - 6 - Doesn't back himself 1 on 1 when the ball is a bit static. Often should cross first time and doesn't and works himself into a bit of a hole. Improved second half and good run/shot that almost sneaked in.

Francis - 6 - Does some good stuff, very good balls at times. Would like him to rat around more than he does in that defensive position. Sometimes plays sloppy passes/ looks like he'll give the ball away easily.
Palmer - 6.5 - Not overly influential, but very neat and tidy when involved.
Roberts - 5 - Not his game. Beat his man a few times but finishing well off today. Should neatly side-foot the 1 on 1 but attempts top bins - didn't need to. 
Rodrigues - 6 - Sometimes tries to do much in and around the box. Put your foot through it! Should have had an assist for Roberts after some good work. 

Wootton - 7 - Does a lot of the hard yards and toiled well. Even dropped into CB when we lost Cameron and Lacey had to go off for a shirt change / Terry Butcher job.
Mitchell - 6.5 - Did well, near post shot saved. 

Chicksen - 7 - Slotted in seamlessly. Comfortable on the ball.
JOB - 6.5 - Injected pace.
DKE - N/A.

Agree with most of them although I think it’s a bit harsh on Matty Palmer who was man of the match for me the guy was everywhere and involved in everything covers so much ground and does a lot of the unseen work

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,924
  • Days Won:  162

i thought we was very average in midfield and not creative enough, our strikers did not have much chance but i think its one of those games we have to take.

Archived