How do you rate Luke Williams' performance as manager this season?

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I have been thoroughly impressed with Luke Williams’ performance as manager this season. In terms of tactics, I believe he has strengthened the squad significantly and instilled a natural desire to succeed. He has also excelled in generating morale and motivation within the team. The players are aware of the standards he has set and strive to meet them.

In regard to resource management, I think Luke Williams has brought out the best in the players through his training methods. He doesn’t make rash decisions when signing players and takes time to reflect on the situation before making a move. He also responded well to the team’s first defeat of the season, refocusing and encouraging them to bounce back.

Overall, I am overjoyed with Luke Williams at the helm of Notts County. While I may not always understand his approach, I have faith that he always acts in the best interests of the players.

What are your thoughts? How would you rate Luke Williams’ performance as manager this season?

This topic was inspired by a post I came across on social media, embedded below.

• Like 6

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

It’s purely speculative, but I believe that if Ian Burchnall had stayed on as manager, he wouldn’t have been able to get the best out of the entire squad. For instance, I don’t think Adam Chicksen would have scored double-digit goals. It’s Luke Williams who has drilled into him the importance of making late runs.

Similarly, it’s quite possible that Macaulay Langstaff may not have broken his records. Much of his success in scoring goals is tied to the form we’ve seen under Williams. While I think Burchnall would have done well with this squad, I don’t believe for a second that it would have led to a title race.

This is where Williams makes all the difference. His mentorship, directness, and high expectations have brought out the best in the squad. His tactics and line-ups are much more cohesive, and the players clearly have better instructions now. It’s all very well thought out.

The finer details are things we won’t see, but I believe they’re making a big difference in this squad. I’m 100% convinced that Williams is the difference between an average season, a good season, and a title-challenging season.

The way he works with the players seems to be both on a group and individual level. He appears to be very invested in man-management. His in-game process isn’t just a typical routine, although it does have some habits. If games aren’t going according to plan, he’ll try to address it without fear of making a mistake. He doesn’t wait until the 70th minute to make changes like taking off our strikers and bringing on defenders, as was Ian Burchnall’s and Neal Ardley’s habit of settling for a draw.

• Like 6

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,520
  • Days Won:  9

I believe Luke Williams has a strong sense of management and combines traditional style with a modern approach. He has excelled in getting the best out of the entire squad, and the signings he has suggested and recruited align with his vision for how he wants Notts County to play. I think his greatest asset is his openness and hands-on approach to coaching; players respond well to someone who isn’t afraid to get involved.

His in-game tactics are generally very good; he understands the game and how it unfolds. Having a good squad makes his job easier, but getting the players to embrace his philosophy has made the club more formidable. The style and performances have been impressive, and I hope he continues to employ this approach moving forward.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Considering it's his first season as our manager and that we are in the midst of promotion, this discussion could almost write itself. That said, it's raising some interesting points and posts.

You can see that Luke Williams has a strong leadership style. He leads and inspires the best from the players. Everyone has had a decent season, with several players having a standout season such as Adam Chicksen, Ruben Rodrigues and Sam Slocombe. A successful football coach needs to possess the ability to motivate players with their words. However, in situations where the players are not performing up to the expected level, it might require more direct and assertive comments or a more hands-on approach to boost their confidence.

I think the club has the best coaching setup for any lower tier team, including Wrexham. We are blessed to have such a talented list of staff and coaches, which I should include means our grand staff as they do a superb job maintaining the Meadow Lane pitch. Williams benefits greatly from these factors in his role as head coach. With others assisting in recruitment and other areas, he is able to be fully engaged in the training setup. This enables him to bring maximum impact to the team as a whole.

Williams has a great understanding of tactics, and although he may occasionally make mistakes, overall he is much better than the last eight managers combined.

I fully agree and believe that Luke Williams is one of the key factors as to why Macaulay Langstaff and Cedwyn Scott have hit the ground running. In a highly competitive league, Luke as our manager has displayed a good understanding of keeping a squad settled. As fans, we may suggest changes to his approach, and who knows, that might be a valid point. However, it's important to note that he relies on his wealth of experience and coaching knowledge to make changes only when he feels necessary.

With his effective strategies, our team gains an edge over competitors who may not be as well-prepared. I'm excited to see what will happen when we return to the Football League, especially if our current coach stays with us until then. It's going to be an interesting journey.

Players are developing all the time, which is handy when it comes to where we are in the football pyramid. I strongly suggest that Luke explores ways to involve younger players more frequently in cup matches, and potentially keep them in games for extended periods of time if they perform well, as long as the player they replaced isn't more reliable.I believe that players will look at Notts, see the setup and then see the manager - realising that the environment is steady for building foundations going forward.

He has demonstrated great discipline in managing the budget by abstaining from reinforcing the squad before the Wrexham game. I'm not entirely certain if it's due to the acquisition fees we paid for players, but I'm impressed with our club's ability to refrain from taking out loans solely for the purpose of filling the roster. It shows great financial responsibility and foresight. Despite having a great support team, the sole reason behind the success of this season lies in the exceptional leadership skills of his manager.I strongly believe that the outcome would have been vastly different under different circumstances.

I'd like to mention Williams' remarkable adaptability in the way he approaches games. He adds unique elements that keep Notts from becoming too predictable, and this affords him the flexibility to make strategic decisions as needed. For instance, he recently backed Archie Mair over Tiernan Brooks following Brook's return from international duty.It will no doubt make Mair a few inches taller, a lot more confident and made the opposition wonder why we weren't panicking. Both Brooks and Mair have been incredible and deserve praise for filling in for Slocombe.

Communication is clear; he speaks softly and promptly on camera. Detailed in his words and usually careful in his demeanour, he could be more like Neil Warnock in the team dressing room for all we know. His commanding presence on the sidelines is a prime illustration of leading by example. If a manager doesn't worry, the players are more likely to have confidence from that and within their own ability.

One of his greatest strengths is his unwavering passion and dedication to the club. He has successfully won over many fans and instilled a level of confidence that surpasses that of most managers we've had in decades. I suppose, we could reference Kevin Nolan who has shown a lot of this, but we know in hindsight that a lot of his reactions were simply due to good form. I don't deny that he cares about Notts County, my point is merely that in the season in which he was sacked - his whole attitude changed.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

i think this could easily be adapted into an article @Chris.

there is not much i believe luke williams has done wrong, i cant think of anything that i would single out. i think his post match interview after the woking game was a little off for him considering we won 3-0 but i think he secretly still believed the title was slightly possible and just wanted his side to continue the form going into the playoffs. i wonder what he would have said about the boreham wood game if it was a league game?

otheriwise i think hes the most all rounded manager we have had during my time supporting notts.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Believe it, or not - I thought the same thing after commenting. @liampie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,139
  • Days Won:  2

Luke Williams is a significant improvement in terms of management. It’s clear that he values building strong relationships with the players, which must help motivate them to go the extra mile to win games. All the players seem to respect him - even John Bostock has praised Williams’ management style, saying it’s the best he’s experienced in his career. That’s high praise! I think Williams has done an excellent job so far, but the real test will be in League Two. The coaching staff needs to keep up their hard work and research the opposition well - it will pay off.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It's quite remarkable to witness how Notts has transformed over the past few seasons, and the credit goes to the hard work and dedication of its management team. Since Neal Ardley put in place strong foundations, Ian Burchnall took it further, and now Luke Williams is doing an excellent job instructing players like Adam Chicksen on how to improve their game.

One of Luke Williams' standout qualities is his relationship with the players, which seems to be second to none. He's an impressive coach who is intelligent, switched on, and thinks about things carefully. Although I can't comment on his in-game management skills, his decision-making in the recent game against Chesterfield was spot-on, and it paid dividends for Notts.

Overall, I think Notts is moving in the right direction, and it's great to see Williams playing such a crucial role in the team's success. With such talent on the coaching staff and players shining on the pitch, I'm confident that Notts will continue to improve and bring home more victories in the seasons to come.

Edited by AmericanPie