The analysts bar.... #Notts defence is not as effective as it seems

Piethagoram

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,004
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The high press would work if Kyle Cameron could reign his runs in at times, either that or we have another pacey CB like Aden Baldwin.  I think Richard Brindley played superb in the role before his injury, despite preferring him out wide. When teams can't get space on front of them, they will naturally resort to channel runs and hitting the ball over the defence.

Notts should find a lot more time on the ball in League Two, but the more tactically aware will still find a weakness. Football is very much like a good game of chess, you can have your strategies and, game plan but ultimately it falls to better players controlling the situation.

• Like 5

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

An important piece of analysis @Chris... "but ultimately it falls to better players controlling the situation."... The data suggests we actually had the 2nd worse defence in the National League!

• Like 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

We still need to cut out the errors, such as failing to defend a lead or dominating a game, to be pegged back by a goal before we even score. The high press is more a means to control the game, the defenders need to stay switched on. I think we leave too few back, the system of an extra body in midfield is fine but on the counter or against set pieces it will be exposed unless you have 3 alert centre backs.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,004
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

22 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

An important piece of analysis @Chris... "but ultimately it falls to better players controlling the situation."... The data suggests we actually had the 2nd worse defence in the National League!

You know, I wasn't actually aware of that. I knew our numbers wasn't great but I didn't realise we were that bad 

I don't think all the fault falls to our centre backs, I think the wingbacks need to cover more and if unable, those in the middle. I am keen to see how Will Randall presses and covers from a defensive stance. I credit Aaron Nemane for stepping up after Wrexham but he can be quite poor offering cover. Likewise with Adam Chicksen, I know many fans say that he can't defend and, is better attacking but he can. It's that balance between the two.

I do feel defensively, we will improve though. Then again, it's a must knowing that our record last season was poor.

• Like 5

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Days Won:  2

I believe the tactics are not far from being improved. Once we have sorted out all the signings, that will be a start. It clearly works for us and Luke Williams. It might be a case of giving the centre-backs less freedom moving forward or beyond the halfway line. However, the more we can sit on the ball, the less we will need to rely on defending. Keeping the players alert can involve working harder on leadership and communication.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

70% of the goals notts conceded last season should be cut out by more focus and awareness to the threat. most teams could not match our class, if they had i would be a bit more inclined to think it needed a rethink. instead i feel we need to do more defensive drills in trying and make sure a certain number of players are are defending, even if it means throwing their bodies in the way of the ball.

just need to be mindful of hand balls and fouls leading to pens, i think we should be far better defensively next season.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,898
  • Days Won:  5

Notts County can deal with conceding goals due to the high press and relapses in focus/concentration by working on their defensive organisation and communication. By staying focused and working together as a team, they can minimise these lapses and prevent goals from being conceded.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

I think the transition between the wing-backs and centre defenders going forward needs to be communicated better and organised beforehand.

We have seen at times Connell Rawlinson as the only player in our half. I also think Kyle Cameron is quite neglectful of his defensive duties. I remember reading on here that he used to play in midfield, and it shows.

When he’s committed to defending, I like him a lot. When he drifts so far up the pitch and doesn’t contribute effectively or loses the ball, which he does a lot, he leaves exploits for good players. People may blame Rawinson for being slow, but Aden Baldin and Kyle Cameron need to make sure their priorities are on defending.

Attack when in control; just get back the moment you are not involved in the attack. Don’t remain up when you have little chance to get the ball. The wing-backs need to take their share of defensive duties. This was an area of real weakness; both excellent going forward but average with defending.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

It’s an interesting read but I’m not too worried, surely that is just a consequence of how we play?

Our game is about being aggressive and dominant. We push all our players up and defend high which means the opposition have space to attack, usually on the counter when they are likely to be 3 on 3 (or even have an advantage if we’ve given the ball away). So when teams get opportunities they’re usually going to be quite good. Provided you are able to restrict the opposition’s time on the ball it works, like we’ve seen this season, how many times have we said the opposition didn’t get a sniff at goal, plenty.

It’s also just one part of the story, so Boreham Wood have the best defence, both number wise and statistically but they only scored 52 goals from 46 games. Would you then no argue that their great defence is actually impacting their ability to score goals? I can’t imagine they score very high on the attacking side stats, but I'm sure we’ll be near the top of that one!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Unfortunately, Luke Williams never solved our continuing problems in defence, but now we have a new Head Coach who has made it clear that he intends to make the changes that will strengthen our defence going forward.

This may involve a more cautious approach going forward, that may in turn reduce our potency up front, but there has to be the right balance all across the pitch, to be a success in this division.