Ed Davey’s a Pie?

yelobeli

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  56
  • Days Won:  0

I never knew this.

Like me, he  grew up in Notts in the 70’s and 80’s and didn’t jump on Clough’s bandwagon? I respect that, even if he was at the hated High School when I was at the slightly less hated Minster.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, yelobeli said:

I never knew this.

Like me, he  grew up in Notts in the 70’s and 80’s and didn’t jump on Clough’s bandwagon? I respect that, even if he was at the hated High School when I was at the slightly less hated Minster.

You were at the Minster?  I was there briefly 1980 - 1982.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
11 minutes ago, yelobeli said:

I never knew this.

Saw this on East Midlands today, I’m almost tempted to vote Lib/Dems in the next election. :joker:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

You were at the Minster?  I was there briefly 1980 - 1982.

1978-1986 (real name Graham Ward).. 8 years because I started in the Junior Department - I was a boarder and in the Minster Choir.

• Like 5

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Didn't know that! He isn't even the only Notts fan in parliament - there's also the current MP for Bassetlaw, who used to be a frequent poster on another forum and lived in various places around Europe before deciding that Brexit was a good idea.

I tried not to get political - did I succeed? 😉

• Like 5

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,785
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, yelobeli said:

1978-1986 (real name Graham Ward).. 8 years because I started in the Junior Department - I was a boarder and in the Minster Choir.

You were probably a year above me - Iain Cousins, A brother of my friend was in JD, much to my amusement as my friend was looking forward to a year or so without his younger brother in tow when he joined the Senior School.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I’m not very familiar with UK politics these days, so I’m not aware of who Ed Davey is. Is he well-liked? I hope he’s not the typical self-serving politician.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

6 hours ago, AmericanPie said:

I’m not very familiar with UK politics these days, so I’m not aware of who Ed Davey is. Is he well-liked? I hope he’s not the typical self-serving politician.

He's the leader of the Liberal Democrats. Better known among politicos as he hasn't led his party into a general election yet, but that'll change soon. 

6 hours ago, nottsfan81 said:

MP Nigel Mills had a season ticket for years as well. 

It seems we are politicians first choice ha ! 

So that makes three sitting MPs. Extrapolated to the population of the UK, that would correspond to there being 308,000 Notts County fans. No wonder Mansfield tickets are getting short! 😉

• Haha 3

• Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

@DangerousSausage i did not even know he was the leader of the lib dems, i tend not to pay much attention to politics here because of how bad it all. all the parties are a shambles.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
3 hours ago, liampie said:

all the parties are a shambles.

Yes but some are more of a shambles than others, I think it’s a shame when people say they aren’t interested in politics, these people have the power to change our lives and we have the chance to give them that power at election time.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2023 at 03:04, AmericanPie said:

I wouldn’t say well-liked. A lot of Labour supporters don’t trust him because he was a minister in the Tory/Lib Dem coalition. The Tories hate him because the Lib Dems are nicking a lot of what you might call the one nation, pro Europe, centre right voters (the sort who liked Ken Clarke more than Boris Johnson). Personally, I’m not a Lib Dem, but I’ve voted for them tactically (and unsuccessfully) a few times. I think he’s basically decent and is making a good job of one of the hardest jobs around. But their last leader was a disaster, so it’s a low bar.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  231
  • Days Won:  1

On 29/09/2023 at 12:40, Fan of Big Tone said:

Yes but some are more of a shambles than others, I think it’s a shame when people say they aren’t interested in politics, these people have the power to change our lives and we have the chance to give them that power at election time.

I consistently cast my vote, but it seems that people often make significant errors when they do, resulting in challenging times. Leading a country is an arduous task, and the Conservative Party (Tories) seems to appeal to both affluent and misguided individuals as their supporters. England requires a leader endowed with strength of character, benevolence, and unwavering determination. Unfortunately, none of the present party leaders possess these qualities. In my opinion, Ed Davey is utterly untrustworthy, incapable of even safeguarding an empty pint glass, let alone guiding our nation.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm not bothered, I don't really care either. Ken Clarke attends matches for both Notts and Forest regularly. 

There's been better Lib Dem leaders too.

Whilst I sound more like someone much older, I just don't get the fuss about something like this. Its great others find it interesting, and I respect the discussion within this but for me, I quickly want to forget about it.