Your Notts County most memorable match

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Mine is Notts County 3 Spurs 0.

It was a League Cup third round tie in October 1994. Notts faced the mighty Spurs managed by World Cup winner Ossie Ardiles at Meadow Lane, with the likes of Juergen Klinsmann, Sol Campbell and Teddy Sheringham in their team Notts were given little chance.

However with goals from Gary McSwegan (2) and Tony Agana Notts marched on to the fourth round and next morning Ossie Ardiles was sacked. I remember the second goal after McSwegan scored the players did a celebratory “Klinsmann dive” rubbing salt in the wound. Spurs had a man sent off but Notts were already 2-0 up by then.

The teams on that night were as follows:

Notts: Reece; Mills, Yates, Johnson (Murphy, 65), R Walker; Turner; Devlin, Butler, Legg; Agana, McSwegan (Matthews, 80). Substitutes not used: Cherry (gk).

Tottenham: Thorstvedt; Austin, Campbell, Calderwood (Hazard, 45), Edinburgh; Popescu; Barmby, Dozzell, Dumitrescu; Sheringham, Klinsmann.

Whats your most memorable match?

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,785
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Fan of Big Tone I was living in Buenos Aires at the time, I recall  photos of a very sad looking Ardiles looking forlorn in the Argentine press!

• Like 3

Supporter+
4 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

@Fan of Big Tone I was living in Buenos Aires at the time, I recall  photos of a very sad looking Ardiles looking forlorn in the Argentine press!

@Piethagoram I bet you didn’t dare wear your Notts shirt for a while. :joker:

• Haha 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

When I think of past games which are most memorable for me, there are two which stand out the most. Two games, I can't separate them from each other.

May 3rd 2014
Oldham Athletic 1 Notts County 1

Back then I went to every game, home and away. We were looking likely to make a return to League Two and our fanbase were reflecting this. The game wasn't very eventful at all; when Oldham scored I got a real sense that everyone had given up. It was just so silent, you could see on the faces of people that they thought that was it. I remember Oldham nearly scoring a second, then all of a sudden we hit the post and had an effort go wide.  Around the 70th minute, Notts started to look a bit brighter and 5 minutes later, Alan Sheehan had tucked a penalty away to make it 1-1. This instantly lifted morale, everyone went berserk. Those final 15 minutes were the happiest but most tense for obvious reasons.

1. Bialkowski, 2. Dumbuya (Substituted for McGregor at 73 minutes), 3. Sheehan, 4. Thompson, 5. Liddle, 6. Hollis, 7. Campbell-Ryce, 8. Vela, 9. Murray, 10. Spencer, 11. Grealish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27167977

August 27th 2013
Liverpool 4 Notts County 2

I remember a lot of our fans expressing they would be ripped apart, I know of people who were trying to sell their tickets and I just hoped we could go, give a good account of ourselves and try to improve further in the league. In hindsight, I think we did exactly this. This was the first Premier League ground that I have been to too.oo. Jake was very excited to go too. It felt a bit daunting to be at Anfield, yet the atmosphere was very good - even if we weren't joining in as much. I was part of a small group that started chanting early on. I always felt like this would take the nervous off the players and whilst I thought going level seemed impossible. It goes to show what happens when the support is lifted, as the lads did very well. I remember us chanting to Steven Gerrerd what the score was, he turned and, smiled showing the score with his fingers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23764145

• Love 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

You know, at present, the most unforgettable match for me is our playoff final against Colchester United. It would take a momentous event to surpass this. I’ve never seen Notts play at Wembley; I’ve watched England and a few other teams, but never my own. Seeing your favourite team earn promotion from any league is a special occasion, but the way we accomplished it was the cherry on top. I also relish attending with two of my closest friends. It was a monumental event.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  56
  • Days Won:  0

Easy

image.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acdX9XH20cw

The quarter-final was almost equally memorable - and a brilliant day out - even if the eventual result was heartbreaking.

Edited by yelobeli
  • Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  70
  • Days Won:  0

Leeds United away in the league Cup Notts winning 1–0 (Scanlon ) the atmosphere was off the scale 

• Love 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

11 hours ago, TheSkipper said:

You know, at present, the most unforgettable match for me is our playoff final against Colchester United

Funny, I seem to have forgotten that one already :D

Some standouts from the last few years:

Lincoln City 3 Notts County 5, January 1998. Notts fans making up nearly half the crowd. We raced to a 3-0 half-time lead, Lincoln mounted an unlikely revival after a Darren Ward miskick early in the second half and equalised, only for us to retake the lead minutes later. The day we looked nailed on for promotion.

Notts County 2 Bury 2, May 2006. Our first real scrape with the Conference and such a sickening day. Results elsewhere kept us up.

Notts Florist 3 Notts County 3, League Cup, 2011. In keeping with what was going on around the country at the time, this one was a riot. Lee Hughes looked to have won the derby for us in extra time, before Wes Morgan took a punt in the dying moments and we fluffed the penalty shoot out.

• Like 3

Supporter+
1 hour ago, DangerousSausage said:

Lincoln City 3 Notts County 5, January 1998. Notts fans making up nearly half the crowd. We raced to a 3-0 half-time lead, Lincoln mounted an unlikely revival after a Darren Ward miskick early in the second half and equalised, only for us to retake the lead minutes later. The day we looked nailed on for promotion.

I don’t go to many away matches but I was at that one, what a match that was.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Notts 1 Wycombe 0 (2008)

It was our last home game of the season and last but one game of the season. I’m 99% sure a win would keep us up, not a great game but Butcher scoring meant we did! We actually had a relatively large crowd for the time.

Notts 1 Man City 1 (2011)

I’ve just looked back and the City team is stronger than I remember it and we were so close to actually winning it too! Still an amazing memory for me. Who’d have thought with a performance like that we’d go on and lose 9 games in a row later that same season…

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 1