Dan Gosling departs

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Never was fit enough to show if he could have been of any benefit to us. I don’t think anybody will be shocked by this news. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

Hasn't really worked for either party that short stint. He hasn't given anything to us, and he hasn't put himself in the shop window for anybody else either.

He's in the same category as David Vaughan for me.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I wonder about this one.  It was always going to be a long shot to get a Matty Palmer replacement who could seamlessly drop in.  Our closest would be JoB or Sam Austin.  However, we need bodies for training as our squad is so thin it was probably getting hard to run competitive training session.  In rugby it isn't uncommon for players to be brought in to 'hold the tackle bags', i.e. to be bodies in training sessions and to raise the standard of training.  Given Gosling's fitness, I wonder if it wasn't a mutually beneficial agreement for him to get some fitness and to give Austin and JoB someone skilful to train against.  That would make more sense than us trying to get him fit and up to match fitness in such a short space of time.   He clearly didn't see himself as a L2 player, so maybe there was never the intention to pursue the arrangement beyond January, when hopefully we would bet more bodies in.  Just a thought.