Rebuiding Notts's defence Off the Line Blog

I’m afraid Luca Ashby-Hammond might not be the solution we’re looking for. While there’s room for him to improve, I believe Sam Slocombe or Aiden Stone could be better choices. Notts could do with a stronger option, ideally promoting Tiernan Brooks to the second choice.

It would be beneficial to play individuals in their natural positions, rather than insisting they take on roles they’re unfamiliar with. As for defenders, the need for them largely depends on who leaves at the end of the season. I believe having two robust centre backs could make a significant difference. Additionally, more encouragement for Lewis Macari to reach his potential would be beneficial.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

I'd sooner give Aaron nemane the gloves than start next season with stone as number 1.

Well, neither of them can jump, so they do have something in common! 😁

• Haha 1

I think Slocombe has a lot of experience and is a good communicator (in terms of he gives a good interview). I would keep him and look to him being No 3 / coaching.  Ashby-Hammond is on loan so goes back. Stone I would keep as Number 2 (if we can afford him or move him on).  Then I would look at Brooks becoming No 2.  I wouldn't be adverse to him going out on loan to get 1st team sharpness and Stone No 2 on a matchday basis i.e. if our No1 gets injured then he comes back and slots in for the next game but Stone sits on the bench.  Then I would get a new No1 who starts every game when they are fit. 

Then I would look to get 2 commanding Centre backs who can organise, but more than that, hold those around accountable for their performances, who will grab the team, give them a right telling off and get them going if things aren't working.  Someone to drive the team going forward.

I know this is about defence, but I think with Jim and Bostock getting older I would get in another CM to complement Robertson and Palmer.  I would love to see what Randall can do, especially as I think he may need to step into Jones' shoes.  We probably need another winger / wingback type to complement Nemane  with Chicksen and TAR as back up.  Then up front I think we will be good with Crowley, Austin, Scott and Jatta, with Didzy providing experience and impact off the bench.

Edited by Ohh Tommy Johnson
  • Like 3

Supporter+
37 minutes ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

Then up front I think we will be good with Crowley, Austin, Scott and Jatta, with Didzy providing experience and impact off the bench.

You didn't mention Macaulay, I assume then you believe he's moving on?

i think when we look at defenders who come we need to make sure that they can self motivate themselves, show a good level of awareness and strong with dealing with issues. this is our main area provided that we dont lose any of our good attacking players.

it might be worth keeping an eye on some of the promoted teams to see if they release any defenders.

charlie raglan would have been a good option i feel, but he moved from cheltenham to oldham. hes a pretty non nonsense centre back who defensively copes well with pressure. upcoming mason o malley did well with scunthorpe. hes now at bradford park avenue but is young, which does not quite fit the need for experience but hes a good tackler. so in terms of experience, liam shephard could be a good call.

• Like 1