Does the England Team Have Tactical Issues?

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I would rather see Kane up the field leading the attack and not being in his own penalty area half the time.

England are supposed to have World beating midfield players, so why is the Manager giving Kane, what amounts to be a free role.

Cloughie would say " Young man, I pay you to stick the ball in the net so get up that pitch and do just that, or I'll pay someone else who will"

• Like 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

England's tactical issues were on full display yesterday against Slovakia.

Gareth Southgate once again did himself no favours when speaking to the media or his squad selection and shown his lack of tactical knowledge. Before the game he was asked about why he's sticking with the front 4 that hasn't exactly been brilliant this tournament to which he said they were capable of breaking this Slovakia team down but then after the match he said that they just couldn't break the team down and it's been a feature throughout this tournament being unable to break teams down. He then mentioned the game needed wingers for England to advance which is strange considering he made just the ONE change in exactly the same position he has done all through this tournament in midfield yet failed to include a winger like Gordon who should have started despite claiming the game needed wingers.

Whether it be on a podcast, social media or radio, everyone is the same thing there doesn't seem to be an idea when England are moving the ball around and substitutions are too late. I was surprised not to see any changes at half time.

When England went 2-1 up, Gareth Southgate decided it was time to bring on Gallagher and Konsa to which then once again they sat back soaked up pressure and defended a 1 goal lead. The 2 goals came from England playing attacking football. It's a strength in our game that is being so under utilised. When England attack they're threatening, it's exciting to watch but Southgate would much rather have them sit back and defend a 1 goal lead. 

Slovakia can feel unfortunate to not have won the game as they were the better team if i'm being honest.

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  561
  • Days Won:  1

There are many headaches for our next game. I hope Luke Shaw is ready to join in. The suspensions will mean changes. I hope England adapts.

• Like 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

1 minute ago, Blake said:

There are many headaches for our next game. I hope Luke Shaw is ready to join in. The suspensions will mean changes. I hope England adapts.

Personally, I think Luke Shaw should be sent on the plane home. Hasn't played since February and not played a part in the previous 4 games. We can't be bringing in a player who's had a lack of football like he has into a quarter final match. We've already been underperforming without a semi fit left back.

On 27/06/2024 at 22:19, Robbie said:

I would rather see Kane up the field leading the attack and not being in his own penalty area half the time.

England are supposed to have World beating midfield players, so why is the Manager giving Kane, what amounts to be a free role.

Cloughie would say " Young man, I pay you to stick the ball in the net so get up that pitch and do just that, or I'll pay someone else who will"

Fully agree. Let the midfielders do their thing, focus on your own job being up top and get the goals. Shearer has wrote a column on the fact Kane should be staying forward. It's annoying to see how deep he drops. 

There's been a few comments about how England don't provide enough for him but it's hard to provide a striker who's never in the box to receive the balls. 

Southgate should be strictly instructing him to stay up and avoid dropping deep but the fact that he drops deep every game speaks volumes that Southgate is allowing him to do this. 

Either instruct him to stay up top or bring someone like Toney or Watkins to partner him so he can drop deep leaving one player up. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  217
  • Days Won:  1

Something’s got to give, but the new faces could be a boon. If Cole Palmer doesn’t make the team, I’d be gutted because he’s been exceptional every time he’s played.

• Like 2

• liampie unfeatured this topic