Scotland 0 Hungary 1 post match analysis

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Scotland are out of Euro 24 after losing to Hungary with virtually the last kick of the match.

Scotland were denied a clear penalty with just three minutes to go. The referee said no to a penalty and the incident didn't even go to VAR, which is inexplicable.

The BBC pundits all agreed that it should have been a penalty. If VAR is supposed to be there to check if a Ref makes a mistake in penalty decisions, why are there inconsistencies with VAR? 

Overall, Scotland just didn't do enough in the game from the possession they had. They lacked quality up front and didn't really threaten the Hungary goal till the last ten minutes of the game.

Did anyone see the game and if you did what  are your views on Scotland?

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

I Really Wanted Scotland to Win and Qualify, because I've got some Scottish Blood. It's on a Carving Knife in the Kitchen. NO I'm only Joking. Back in the Mists of Time there is Scottish Blood on my Mum's Side of the Family.

On a Serious Note I know what you mean about VAR how was that Not Even Looked At? In the lead up to these Finals Scotland did Put In Some Very Good Performances, And I Honestly thought that this time they had a Good Chance of Getting, Out Of The Group. But looking Back maybe the Writing was on the Wall as they had some iffy Results in the Lead Up to the Euro's. Mind You If Any Fans Know To Enjoy Themselves It's The Scots.

• Like 4

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man I wanted Scotland to win too.

They just didn't seem to have the real belief that they could win this match 

We've seen it all before with England. Fannying around at the back passing it from side to side, then back then going up field a little then coming back again.

Then after all that they send a long ball forward and lose possession.

I know I've said it before but our teams have a fixation for the continental style, but the continental style is quick passing & movement off the ball, something that our teams are lacking.

If one system is not working change it, but Scotland only changed it & pushed up field with 10 mins to go. Far too late really.

• Like 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,662
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

If Armstrong hadn't have grabbed Orban's shirt, I think that was the element of doubt that prevented the penalty being given

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

Scotland can clearly say We Wuz Robbed. A clear  Penalty, and something not shown on the X clip but can be seen on the full B.B.C clip is the smile on the Defender's face after the Penalty appeal was waved away, he Knew He'd Got Away with that one. Still can't believe VAR didn't look at it.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Agree, it was a clear penalty. Surely there is a protocol that VAR has to investigate incidents like this automatically.

Obviously there isn't. As we have been saying on here, VAR was hastily adopted and there are lots of faults with it.

It appears that VAR is subject to the officials opinion, so for me, if we are still going by opinion, what is the point of VAR.

I'm sure that the decision had nothing to do with the fact that it was an Argentinian Ref officiating.

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The biggest plus about Scotland is about how passionate and supportive their fans are, as for the team, not a great performance during the tournament. I am not surprised they've been sent home, because this is their first major tournament for years. They have some good players, but personally I didn't think a second they would be able to progress. They need to put effort into challenging for the World Cup, perhaps get David Moyes as the manager.

• Like 3

Supporter+

Scotland has always suffered from the fact that their League system is so weak 

They have two sides in Rangers & Celtic who would struggle to get out of the Championship and the rest of the Premier League is top of English League 1 standard only. 

The rest of the teams outside their Premier League, some of our National league sides would beat them.

And because more & more foreigners are coming in, the Scottish players get less & less game time & have to come to England.

Scotland used to rely on big name players in the past, who played in the old first divisions like Dalglish, McLeish, McStay, McCoist, Robertson, Law & McAlister when they used to beat England quite often.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

Scotland had a shot at advancing, but after their initial loss to Germany, I always felt it wouldn’t materialise. It was a crushing defeat, marked by the most defensive football I’ve seen all tournament. In their second game, they should have strived to maintain their lead against the Swiss. Instead, they narrowly avoided a loss, as they were outplayed in the final 20 minutes.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

On 24/06/2024 at 07:40, Piethagoram said:

If Armstrong hadn't have grabbed Orban's shirt, I think that was the element of doubt that prevented the penalty being given

i think the referee seen it has two players coming together, armstrong does have a hold of the player but he also puts his left knee/foot out in an aggerated way that makes me think he knew he would be brought down. i am not sure its a penalty, because what can the defender do? hes not going to magically stop running.

the slow down really does show the defender made no intention to bring him down, it was forced due to movement.

armstrong may have done better to naturally shield the ball and remove his arms from the defender, as he could have got a shot away or made the defender react in a way that was to bring him down. not two players coming together because one saw the opportunity to come together.

• Like 1