Southgate: Should he stay or go?

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,251
  • Days Won:  189
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

So England have failed to win another international tournament.

The 58 year wait for success continues & we will have to wait for the next World Cup to be held in the US, Canada & Mexico to see if England can go that step further & win a final.

England had a great opportunity to win Euro 24 having the much easier route to the final than their final opponents, Spain.

In my opinion England never had  a better opportunity to go all the way & win the a trophy after a 58 year wait.

Unfortunately, Southgate continues to be a cautious, & negative Manager, & is incapable of making the bold decisions that would see England get over the line & win a tournament.

The team was crying out for bold changes to be made, for instance, Ollie Watkins & Cole Palmer should have started the match to give England more pace & it did work when they came on as substitutes foe England in the second half.

For me, Southgate has always been too defensive, negative & lacks the boldness to be a winner in tournaments for my liking.

The powers that be want him to stay on as Manager, but I believe it's time to have a change at the top to see England through qualifying for the next World Cup.

Do you agree or disagree with my assessment?

• Like 4

Supporter+

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,287
  • Days Won:  17

Bloody Hell @Robbie. I've just sat down and wrote a Topic on Southgate's Future As Well. Talk About Great Minds Think A Like. There is a difference in our  Topics under different titles so there isn't a Clash, just differing opinions on the same Subject. 

• Haha 1

Supporter+

Great minds do think alike some of the time but not all of the time. 

But we do seem to be on the same wavelength on quite a few topics on here.

I suppose it's good to think out of the box sometimes. 

Lots of the punditry on social media supporting Southgate to stay on, but I certainly think England need a change with someone who thinks out of the box too for a change.

But knowing the FA they'll either keep Southgate, or appointment another similar clone like figure.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,052
  • Days Won:  162

i am more inclined to see what gareth southgate wants and the english fa.

there are not many english managers who i think would do as good or better than southgate, i dont want us to look overseas and have someone come in trying to change everything about the national squad. foreign coaches dont tend to get the best out of england despite their reputation. throwing managers like sean dyche is not the answer because he did well with burnley but i dont believe he has earned it or proven himself worth the national job.

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,958
  • Days Won:  5

I’m in agreement with @liam. Unless there’s a robust alternative for Gareth Southgate, I’m uncertain about the merit of any changes. Ultimately, the decision rests with the FA. Supporters should hope that Gareth Southgate is better prepared to field the appropriate players.

• Like 2

Supporter+

My take is that unless Southgate decides himself that it is time to go, he will stay as England manager because the FA like him and he is their type of Manager.

What is their type of Manager, he is a yes man that does what he is told, & does not rock the boat at FA headquarters?

He is also a manager that the players will like, because they know that their place in the side is virtually secure, because Southgate won't rock the team boat so much by making many changes.

It was clear to everyone else, apart from Southgate, that when the substitutions were made, England improved & they became more dangerous to the opposition.

So why didn't Southgate make changes and play those substitutes from the start in the next game?

Because in my opinion, Southgate was either incapable of or just didn't want to rock the team boat & upset what he looked upon were the senior England players.

And that is Southgate's big failing in my opinion.

• Like 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,343
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Personally, I think Gareth Southgate did the right thing by stepping down. He's done well in his role, but the division between England fans and this past tournament performance despite making the final just hasn't been to standard.

I would have been happy had he decided to remain in the position, but I think he knows that not all of his ideas on what makes England click are right. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the attitude he has had made him feel he needed to step down on a high. It's sad, because some of the nonsense directed towards him isn't needed.

Using sporting events as a reason to give another human abuse is just outright wrong.

Unfortunately, it leaves me feeling disinterested and of the belief that the FA will struggle to find a suitable appointment that will please the majority of England fans. It's going to be a tough task, Lee Carsley wouldn't be a bad call, but I don't know much about his style of management.

• Like 1