Landmark Verdict: Mother Held Accountable for Child's School Shooting in Michigan - A First in U.S. History

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  0

What are your thoughts on parents being held responsible for their child’s wrongdoings? This issue may not directly impact us in the UK, but it’s a topic of considerable debate. Let’s maintain a respectful and thoughtful discussion on this significant decision. Remember, everyone’s viewpoint is valuable.

https://apnews.com/article/oxford-high-school-mother-charged-01f336607a496c5f9ff0cb3a7434d073

• Like 3
  • Surprised 1
  • Sad 3

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,502
  • Days Won:  15

I understand the logic behind holding parents accountable, but it also seems unjust and severe. Even the best parents can’t always prevent their child from turning to malevolent actions. In my view, America has a more significant problem with gun crime that they seem to ignore.

In my opinion, if someone is determined to carry out a mass shooting, there are more pressing issues than the source of the firearm.

If the parents didn’t provide the gun, it could have been someone else. The prevalence of gun ownership in America makes it easy for potential killers to find a source. Keeping the firearm locked away and the ammunition hidden seems naive. What if the child had forced their way to access it? As I’ve said, if you leave a firearm in plain sight and are negligent, I can see the reasoning. However, holding parents entirely accountable for a child’s actions also seems harsh.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,052
  • Days Won:  162

it does change much in my opinion.

i think its a very valid point that would be killers, especially mass shooters would find a way to get hold of a gun. its too easy to get hold of a weapon in the us, they do nothing to make it difficult. i know they have checks, but i have read that even this can be overlooked. it reminds me of the story i once read about people trying to sue gun manufactures.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1,287
  • Days Won:  17

It will Impact the U.K Eventually, because it seems  Once the US Adopts something the UK Mostly Follows Suite. However  there are Certain things Thankfully the UK Dose Not Do that are Common in the U.S.A.

The Right To Bear Arms is also Written in the American Constitution.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  0

@Wheelbarrow repair man You’re absolutely correct. However, I believe it would be more challenging to build a case against parents in the UK. Involvement in drugs and general crime is often something individuals engage in without their family’s awareness. It would indeed be a sorrowful day for the UK if a parent were to be charged with a murder committed by their wayward child. Many individuals involved in drugs, knife crime, and gang-related activities often come from loving families but get involved due to friendships or a lack of other pursuits. I don’t believe parents can always bear the blame.

• Like 5

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,504
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I completely disagree with the notion of parents being held accountable for a child’s murderous actions. This could potentially open the door to blaming anyone who has had a negative impact on the person, such as teachers or grandparents.

What about elderly grandparents doing their best, or single mothers?

I believe this shifts responsibility away from the actual perpetrator and dramatises the deaths of those involved. I fail to see how this will prevent future incidents. Restrictions on violent games for under 18s are not enforced, and gaming often receives an unfair share of the blame.

In cases of extreme neglect, parents should be held accountable, but I believe these would be few and far between.

As previously mentioned, people will always find a way to obtain weapons. Some will be intent on committing murder, which is truly tragic. Yet little is done to prevent it, and holding parents responsible could lead to abuse of the system. Spoilt individuals who can’t get their own way might view this as the ultimate punishment for their parents. It’s wrong.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,251
  • Days Won:  189
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

In this case it seems the parents encouraged their child to practice with a gun and if the gun is registered to the parents they should have been responsible for securing that weapon in a lock up.

The gun should have been in the charge of the parents at all times, ie, in a lock up when not in use, and the child could only handle it for target practice in the presence of either parent & under their supervision.

At the very least they should have been charged with failing to secure a gun and allowing the gun to be used illegally by the son.

But charging the parents with manslaughter is a step too far in my opinion.

• Like 4

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,343
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I agree, it's a step too far to charge parents of a mass shooter with manslaughter.

It's a worrying aspect, as a lot of people own guns, and they're a common place in America. I understand that parents would want to teach their child to safely use a gun, but it should be difficult for them to get hold of It's easier said than done, because it could have been a machete or knife.

My friend, who is a teacher in Kansas City, posted on Facebook about how encouraging teachers to have a gun themselves for safety - in case of these incidents occurring - would only lead to further issues. America doesn't focus on the actual problem; they overthink it and come up with stupid ideas.

Mass shootings are awful, and I know Steven King has felt responsible for his book 'Rage'.

The way things are going, he was right to allow it to fall out of print because he could end up with silly charges brought against himself. This said, the parents should be held responsible as mentioned by @Robbie.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1,287
  • Days Won:  17

@Chris

Can you just Imagine the Out Cry if a Teacher was allowed to carry a Gun for His or Her Safety? And the Carnage they could cause if for some Reason they ever had a Mental Problem or some such Illness. I would have thought they'd be a way for a School, Collage or University to check a Pupil/Student for any type of weapon with a Metal Detector similar to what they have at Airports. There must be someway with all the Technology we have today, to Stop Any Would Be Killer from gaining Access to a place of Education.

• Like 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,343
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Well, students could find them, and it's not a safe idea to combat mass shootings with more guns. What would be a better solution would be to make sure that school had appropriate security. Schools in the UK look like prisons, whereas in America they look like nice normal places.

The UK goes overkill on the security side, America thinks the only solution is having more violent weapons at hand.

Another issue is that school shooters may decide to target meeting points or other venues if schools do manage to cut down on guns/weapons getting into them. The problem just doesn't go away. I do find it curious as to why we don't tend to have violent crimes in schools.

It's a good thing, knifes are such a big issue in the UK. Whereas in the United States it's more guns.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,101
  • Days Won:  54

A 15-year-old knows what they are doing but at same time the parents knowingly knew he had access to the guns and were alright with him using it – I know it’s not a view shared by all in America but how can anything be gained from letting a child use gun!? Personally, it might be harsh but if America isn’t going to do anything about gun restriction, these mass-shooting will just keep happening. A ruling like this would at least make parents think twice about letting their child use a gun.

I genuinely feel sorry for the kids at schools in America, it's unacceptable that they have do gun drills to prepare for a shooting. Like how tragic can that be teaching a 6 year old to hide under their desk… And the sad thing is, the drills don't really protect them it’s all just down to luck, really bad luck, at the end of the day.

It’s bizarre so many Americans can’t see the issue here and all because of some poxy statement written nearly 250 years ago. Society has moved on it’s about time America did too.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,126
  • Days Won:  2

This sounds like someone's trying to blame more people for what one person did with bad intentions. I'm not sure these accusations will be successful. Is Donald Trump trying to get the CIA charged because they didn't keep him safe? It's true, they might not have done their jobs properly, and it could have been much worse.

• Like 2