Sad News Regarding The Royal Mint

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  153
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

The Royal Mint is to stop making coins from scratch after 1,100 years with staff breaking up circuit boards for gold instead.

Instead of producing its own coins from raw steel, the Mint will now purchase 'blanks', plain discs, which have not been struck with the coin design, from abroad when stocks run out. 

Plans are to import the "coin blanks" from Turkey & Germany

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-13671559/Royal-Mint-stop-making-coins-scratch-1-100-years-staff-mining-circuit-boards-gold-instead.html

• Sad 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

Another Great British Institution being lost, the way things are going they'll be Nothing Produced in this Once Great Nation of Ours. We'll have everything coming in From abroad and at this Rate will End Up Like A Third World Country.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man sad but true. 

We don't make enough steel to even help produce the raw material to make the coins. It's just like an industrial revolution in reverse. 

It's very hard to understand why this is happening. There's something very wrong happening to our once great Country. It's very disturbing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Your Not Wrong @Robbie. I Would Say More But Have No Desire To Get Into A Political Debate. Because As I Have Said Before Keep Politics  Out Of Sport And Off This Website.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

I don't think that the decline of the UK as a manufacturing powerhouse is down to any political decision as such.

It is much more down to a case of economics. 

Steel production is made much more cheaply in China & India to begin with. Clothes are made much cheaper in those Countries too.

The middle man in this Country would rather get cheap goods that can be manufactured much more cheaply abroad, so they can sell them on with bigger profit margins, than if they bought from a British manufacturer.

Nowadays the consumer would rather buy cheap inferior goods from abroad rather than buy good quality goods from here.

I know that, I've done it myself.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

It does annoy me when we see heritage and things you can be proud of about Great Britain stop in favour of cheaper options overseas. Certain things should be made with pride and under our own mint. I don’t like the news of this because it’s taken 1,000 years to stop something which we have always done to a high standard.

Every day, I see a new novelty coin for sale in an advert encouraging people to get one for keepsake, proudly saying it’s made in Britain and by our royal mint. Now, our coins are likely not to be.

• Like 4

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,662
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Robbie "We don't make enough steel to even help produce the raw material to make the coins"

Hits nail on head... The UK electricity costs are among the highest. Cheaper electricity is needed quickly and the new government are making the right initial steps to expand wind power

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Supporter+
54 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

@Robbie "We don't make enough steel to even help produce the raw material to make the coins"

Hits nail on head... The UK electricity costs are among the highest. Cheaper electricity is needed quickly and the new government are making the right initial steps to expand wind power

In my opinion "wind power" is definitely NOT the answer. China & India don't think it's the answer either, but that's for another thread. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

15 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

could we still produce the steel needed?

the country is on about making new jobs and having industries that lead, then this would be a good start and a way to safe the royal mint. how likely is it that fake coins could circulate again with the metal coming in from other places?

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I don't get why we can't make more of the industries we have that are dying, why more thought can't go into thriving them. There's a YouTube channel that pays visits to companies that are in danger of dying off, it promotes the 'Made in Britain' aspect, and it's something we should really try to make sure continues.

The easiest decision is to stop, but is it the right call?

Once you stop, it's harder to return to doing it when those skilled workers are few and far between. This is a sad thing. :( 

• Like 1

My Guess is the material which makes British Coins will be totally Inferior to what we have now. Thus Not Making the Minting of New Coins worth having, so Coins will be got Rid completely . Another Step Towards A Cashless Society.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

The most disturbing thing about not being able to produce our own steel in large quantities, is the fact that we have to now import steel to build equipment for our armed forces.

In my opinion, it is a national security issue.

• Like 1