Quo vadis iFollow?

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

As I no longer live on our fair isle, I treated myself to an iFollow subscription for 150 quid last season and it was the best money I've spent since the hammock I treated myself to during covid. On top of that, it's money for the club.

This season all I've heard is that Sky is taking over domestic streaming rights, but not the international rights, which are to remain with iFollow. However, there has been no word on whether the service will be continued (or what it will cost); the Football League links to the streaming services of each club, but the link to ours (and most others) only produces a "Page Not Found" message. Of the sites I checked, only Orient and Swindon were offering something (with a price hike of 25% over last season).

Does anybody know anything? If nothing will be offered this season, I'll probably spend it on German third division coverage instead. But I'd rather be watching (and putting money into) Notts...

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I know other EFL clubs are still streaming games to overseas fans, as you have mentioned. Although I think the decision for Notts to change to a new site is probably holding this back for our fans. There's many features which I would have believed would be carried over to the new site, which are standard to all EFL clubs which is currently lacking. There's not been much actual work done on the new site since it's launch, which is disappointing.

It might just take a bit of time, I'll try to get some clarification for you.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  1

I contacted Notts´ media department and got this answer three days ago:

Sorry there has yet to be an official update. This is due to matters out of our control but rest assured the service will be up and running ahead of the season opener.

Edited by Morten Johansen
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2024/august/06/introducing--piesplayer/

sounds like it will be normal service for most fans overseas.

• Like 3

iFollow is dead. Long live PiesPlayer!

140 pounds is good value if you're watching all (or even just most) of the games. And you can finally cast it to your TV too! Important note to all waverers: the price will rise to 180 pounds tomorrow, so be quick.

There was a confusing passage in the FAQs, according to which matches could only be streamed in countries where there is no broadcast agreement with the Football League. According to the League's website, however, this is only the case for the Championship and every match in League One and Two will be streamed. I clarified it with the club, who told me that the text wasn't relevant to us and that the matches would be available in Germany. They will have my money today! 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I took the deal at 140 pounds. Great value as I watch all of the possible games. I reckon some cup matches will be unavailable, but if I`m able to watch almost all games I`m more than happy.

• Like 5

I was told the FA Cup and League Cup won't be available to stream, although I think there was radio coverage last season. That's only two games anyway as we generally choose not to participate in the second round of cup competitions.

However, we do get full coverage of something called the Bristol Street Motors Trophy, in which we get to play against Everton under 12s and probably Shrewsbury again. I'm washing my hair that day. 

• Like 3

I'm attempting to watch PiesPlayer on my laptop (as the app just crashes) and it is absolutely shoddy. Every ten seconds the stream stops and a little grey circle appears (my Internet speed at this time was 185 Mbps, more than enough to stream UHD videos). I was treated to a completely grey screen for about five minutes, at which I gave up and listened to the radio instead (which also no longer works on my phone).

I hope this improves because at the moment it is unwatchable. Otherwise I'll have to ask for a refund. 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

There were some teething problems on Sky Sports + I clicked on the Notts match and it was showing Salford so I clicked round the other matches and found Notts on the Walsall v Morecambe match. :huh2: Eventually it righted itself but kept losing the signal, hopefully as I say these are teething problems.

• Haha 2

Did it also keep buffering and showing a little grey circle @Fan of Big Tone? I checked my Internet speed at first, but now I'm certain the problem was at their end. 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Yes it did, it also kept putting an error message up, I too thought it was my signal but I clicked on some of the other streamed matches and they were fine.

• Like 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,516
  • Days Won:  9

The new official site has more bugs than an old, run-down kitchen. I tried the app, but it crashes when I press the videos and randomly freezes. I'm not very impressed; this should have been sorted out before going live.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@DangerousSausage Did you have any problems last night using overseas streaming on PiesPlayer?

I had two issues:

1. The option to "Watch" was not ready until 3-4 minutes into the game. Normally the stream would be available about one hour before kick-off, not after the match has begun..

2. In lack of a better word, a lot of "stuttering" on the commentators for about 20-25 minutes in the first half.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  230

A lot of teething problems, hopefully the club will improve it. It might take a bit of time, but since Notts are unlikely to switch platforms again, it should be fixed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Morten Johansen said:

@DangerousSausage Did you have any problems last night using overseas streaming on PiesPlayer?

I had two issues:

1. The option to "Watch" was not ready until 3-4 minutes into the game. Normally the stream would be available about one hour before kick-off, not after the match has begun..

2. In lack of a better word, a lot of "stuttering" on the commentators for about 20-25 minutes in the first half.

Yes I did! On the plus side, I was finally able to cast it to my TV using Chromecast. iFollow has never managed that in several years.

I had my stream running a few minutes before kick-off. But I also heard the "stuttering" and ended up switching the sound off. I thought it might have been an issue with one of the microphones - did it sound like that on the radio too? It also threw me out of the stream at about the 70-minute mark and I couldn't get back in until the 87th minute.

It's been a frustrating experience so far, but it'll be good when it works.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  628

I hope the club can sort out these issues quickly. Our overseas fans are important, and making sure everyone feels included and part of the club's journey is something they need to focus on.

• Like 2