Where are they now : Greg Abbott

Piethagoram

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

I'm glad Greg Abbott is still involved in football. The last I heard, he'd beaten cancer and was enjoying life after his recovery. I think his illness forced him to step down from his previous position, so it's nice to know he's still around the game he loves. He always had a great sense of humour at Notts.

• Like 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Greg Abbott always seemed like a good assistant to me, with a knack for spotting talent. Maybe not quite managerial material, but a nice guy.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,356
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I agree that he never looked to be managerial material, & he didn't really stand out when working under Shaun Derry at Notts, however good luck to him in his chosen career in Recruitment.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

Are Carlisle sure about that? I know Shaun Derry gave him a lot of the credit for his success when he was here and that great escape season. But they weren’t able to build on it, the recruitment (and football) the season after was truly awful. Shaun and Greg were a lot more involved with that side than our head coaches are nowadays.

I just looked it up, we signed 6 players aged 33 and over and players like Taylor McKenzie, Cieron Kean, Jordan Cranston and Elliott Whitehouse who had either zero or minimal experience of men’s football. To try and rectify the disastrous summer we then bought in 14 loan players that season after the summer window closed! It was a total mess.

When Greg returned to be Neal Ardley's new assistant I was pretty shocked to be honest as I always felt his style of coaching was the complete opposite to the Bros vision, no surprises they didn't last the season...

Anyway, seems his job at Carlisle is pretty safe!

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,950
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think Greg Abbott is an alright assistant manager, but that's his level. He does have an eye for players, but I am not sure if it's always his best asset. If Carlisle is asking him to make recommendations, I see nothing wrong with that role because Elliott Whitehouse for example just needed game time. He did well once he found a club that would give him starts, although he's fallen down the football pyramid, he was never a bad player.

The issue the season we had with Abbott and Shaun Derry, it was a budget issue and the focus of wanting to find "young" players.

I thought Derry would have got us back up to League One had he stayed and whilst we had a decent season with Ricardo Moniz, who again, isn't at fault for how things turned out, I do think sacking Derry was a mistake.

Abbott is a decent coach, so scouting shouldn't be that difficult for him. I can't say I know much about their issues, but I don't think it would be Abbott's fault. If he's actually signing them, then that might be different, but I assume he's just recommending players to the club.

I once gave Greg Abbott (whilst he was with Shaun Derry) a PON business card. I asked if I could interview them, Derry looked uneasy and Abbott looked at the card, then responded "What do I want with this?" I told him to have a look at the site and that I hoped they would be open to the interview. He looked pretty unsure about what I had given him. Quite bemusing, it wasn't in a rude way either. More oblivious and dense.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,741
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

On 05/09/2024 at 17:09, menzinho said:

When Greg returned to be Neal Ardley's new assistant I was pretty shocked to be honest as I always felt his style of coaching was the complete opposite to the Bros vision, no surprises they didn't last the season...

Totally agree @menzinho Never thought for once he fitted into the Bros "technical coach" category. Always thought he was a comic sidekick to Derry. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,868
  • Days Won:  162

he was a bit of experience and someone the players could get behind, with derry being the more techinical minded. its a shame it did not work out for shaun derry but i did like greg abbott. i am glad hes still involved in football.

• Like 1