Quirky 60s & 70s TV Series

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  163
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Kenneth Cope, died yesterday. He was one of the Stars, (Hopkirk) of the quirky TV series Randall & Hopkirk (deceased)

It was a TV drama/ Comedy series of the 60s, a mixture of drama & humour typical of these TV series in the 60s & 70s.

It was one of my favourite shows being in my early teenage years.

Did you have a favourite bygone TV series or maybe a series that's more modern?

Here's a clip from the first episode of Randall & Hopkirk after Hopkirk had become a Ghost.

• Sad 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I loved the original but when it was rebooted with Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, I really learned to appreciate it. I felt disappointed that the BBC axed it. I think it only made 2 seasons before it was abandoned? The original I have seen numerous times when I was younger at my parents, my childhood is filled with comedies like Porridge, Rising Damp, Are you Being Served? etc.

I wasn't aware that Kenneth Cope had passed on. It's very sad news. :(

@super_ram

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

sorry i have never heard of it, i dont want a lot of older tv. i never really have. :(

still its sad news about the actor of the show.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@liampieIt was during the golden age of TV when you thought an 18 inch TV was massive & Colour TV was brand new & exciting, if you could afford one. 

• Love 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,132
  • Days Won:  17

I remember Kenneth Cope in Randal & Hopkirk Deceased. I think (if memory serves) he also played a character called Sunny Jim in Corrie in the 1960's, he was the Lodger at Minnie Cornwell's. A versatile Actor R.I.P Kenneth.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man I think he came back to Corrie in the 1990s too 

He was bald headed, his dark well groomed hair in Randall & Hopkirk was a toupee. 

• Like 2

@Robbie

I didn't know he had made a comeback in Corrie in the1990's by that time, I no longer watched the program.

Regarding the subject of your Topic from the 60's there was Gary & Sylvia Anderson's puppet series, Thunderbirds, Fireball XL 5 and Captain Scarlet. Tinker & Tucker with Aunty Jeanie Morton.  Then there was the Champions, featuring the beautiful Alexandra Bastedo. The Golden Shot with Bob Monkhouse, Till Death Do Us Part. Into the 70's and Comedy was my main T.V enjoyment. Dad's Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Love Thy Neighbour, Man About The House and it's spin off George & Mildred, Are You Being Served Bull's Eye hosted by Jim Super Smashing Great Bowen, the Comedians the Two Ronnie's and who can ever forget the Eric & Ernie Christmas Shows? There's bound to be more I've forgotten about, but this is all that comes to my mind at the moment.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Lots of 60s & 70s  TV series I liked, including your list

Supercar

Fireball XL5

77 Sunset Strip

The FBI

The Fugitive 

Department S

Jason King

Man in a Suitcase 

The Man From UNCLE

The Saint 

The Avengers

The Virginian

The Lone Ranger 

Rawhide

The Rifleman 

The New Avengers

The Six Million Dollar Man

The Goodies

Steptoe & Son

UFO

Space 1999

Land of the Giants

The Time Tunnel

Mission Impossible. TV series.

Those are the ones I remember.

• Like 2

@Robbie

There's one or two on your list I enjoyed but had forgotten about. There is one show I didn't list and how the Hell I forgot about it, was of course Monty Python's Flying Circus. I must be a Gumby. I also enjoyed Spike Milligan's 'Q' Series and the Benny Hill Show. Do you remember Pan's People on Top of the Pops? Porridge was another favorite  and Colditz TV Series. There was also a Children's Show on ITV which was supposed to rival Blue Peter. It's name Magpie. Then of course one of the Best if Not the Best Kids Prog, Drum Roll TISWAS. With Chris Tarrant  Sally James Bob Carolgees and Spit the Dog plus Lenny Henry (when he was funny) and who can forget the appearances of Frank Carson on that Show ? Brilliant.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I remember a few more 

The Comedians. (They wouldn't do a show like that anymore)

Pans People morphed into Ruby Flipper.

Can you remember "Flipper" about a clever Dolphin?

The "littlest hobo", about a roaming dog.

Lassie, about a clever dog

"Champion the wonder horse" about a clever horse 

Crikey, it's all coming back.

• Like 1

Here are a few others @Robbie.

Skippy the Bush Kangaroo who just by making tck tck tck noise could get his message across. What's that Skip? Sonny's fell down into a gully and broke his leg? Two American shows from the 60's Cannonball the story about two Truck Drivers then the Whirly Birds a series about Helicopter Pilots. Then there was the Flying Doctor which I believe was one of the first programs from Australia.

Star Trek the Original Series. Captain Kirk, Spock and Doctor 'Bones' McCoy . Then there was Britain's own Doctor Who. Ruby Flipper didn't last very long after Pan's People disbanded. The Next best Girl Dance Group was Hot Gossip who featured on the Kenny Everret Show, but I think that was the 1980's. Yes I remember Flipper Lassie Champion the Wonder Horse, there was all a series about a Black Stallion called Fury, and Circus Boy starring Mickey Dolenze, who later found fame with the Monkees Pop Group. Casey Jones the Locomotive Driver of the Cannonball Express. Then there was the Sooty Show and Basil Boom Boom Brush and speaking of Basils Fawlty Towers. ( I think that started in the 1970's ?).  All these TV Series and rewatching some of  them now, you say to yourself Did I really watch this Rubbish? Yes you did because there was nothing else on just BBC 1 & 2 and ITV just Three Channels.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Looks like we are going for it @Wheelbarrow repair man

Did you 

"Watch with Mother"

And there was "Andy Pandy", Hector's House

Sir Francis Drake

Tom & Jerry on for 10 minutes weekdays

before the news at 9pm

Stop the Pigeon 

The Flintstones

The Pink Panther

Scooby doo

It's all coming back.

Any more you can think of?

"The Lovers" with Richard Beckinsale

Spin off was George & Mildred

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Lots of ones already listed that I liked to watch. Here’s some more.

Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges

Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford

Kojak

Starsky and Hutch

3-2-1 

The Generation Game

Bill and Ben

The Wooden Tops

Muffin the Mule

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Fan of Big Tonewhen you mentioned Kojak I remembered more series from the 60s & 70s.

"The Streets of San Francisco"

"Ironside" My Dad liked to watch that.

Then there was "Perry Mason"

"Chips"

"Fantasy Island"

"Columbo"

And one of my favourites 

"The Twilight Zone"

Also "Cagney & Lacey"

There must be more.

• Like 2

@Robbie Ok this is getting Silly, I reckon between us we're going to end up naming every TV program of the 60 & 70's.😆. But as you insist here are a few more.

Robin's Nest Never the Twain The Flashing Blade, the Adventures of Black Beauty, maybe I shouldn't say this but it was a big part of Saturday TV Jim'll Fix It. Folly Foot Farm, Worzel Gummidge then there were the sports programs BBC had Grandstand, while ITV had World of Sport. In 1979 David Attenborough's first Wildlife Blockbuster Life on Earth was shown.

Speaking of Wildlife. Do you remember dear old Johnny Morris who made the animals talk on Animal Magic? Johnny also told us about Tales of the Riverbank. Then we had Desmond Morris who presented Zoo Time, he also wrote the best selling book The Naked Ape. Going back to Comedy Please Sir and it's not so successful spin off The Fen Street Gang. Then there was Minder, The Sweeney, Dixon of Dock Green. Z Cars Up Stairs Down Stairs where Gordon Jackson  played Hudson the Butler. Gordon Jackson also had a starring role in the Professionals. Wendy Craig in Butterflies, Mother makes 3 and Mother Makes 5. The first in depth TV Series about World War II, All Our Yesterdays.

Right that's it (for the moment) after all this typing I'm going for a lie down.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

It's helping my brain memory at least.

A few more.

The Prisoner

Dangerman

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea 

Sorry with Ronnie Corbett 

Open all hours with Ronnie Barker.

Did we mention?

"Softly Softly" a police drama 

"Rising damp"

• Like 1

@Robbie

You know I thought about Rising Damp, then got distracted and I forgot to put it down. Another Leonard Rossiter program The Rise and Fall of Reggie Perrin. But then again I didn't get to where I am today forgetting to write down Leonard Rossiter's TV Series.  If you saw the Reggie Perrin series, his Boss CJ was always saying he didn't get where I am today... it was his catch phrase.

Before Billy Connolly came on the scene from Scotland came the Stanley Baxter Show. Also in the 70's the BBC used to show a Laurel & Hardy film before the Six o'clock News. Master Mind, Criss Cross Quiz, Opportunity Knocks, Double Your Money, Take Your Pick. Top of the Form. Here's another blast from the past Quiz Ball, I bet @super_ram will remember that because Derby County were Crowned Quiz Ball Champions. A Question of Sport. Sports night with Coleman. Match of the Day, The Big Match. Well I've wracked my Brains and for the moment I can't think of anymore, but I'm sure there must be other Programs I'll remember.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,766
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Maybe in the minority, never did take to Randall & Hopkirk

I did like quite a few from the ITC production stable

Department S

Man in a suitcase

The Champions

The Persuaders

The Prisoner

The Protectors

The Saint

stand out as personal favourites

• Like 2

Supporter+

Thought of some more.

The Big Valley 

The Virginian, Men from Shiloh 

The Beverley Hillbillies 

The Waltons

Dallas, started in the late 70s

Charlie's Angels

• Like 1

And the List Goes On.

The High Chaparral Wagon Train A Sharp intake of Breath, Do Not Adjust Your Set, the last two starring an unknown David Jason. Crossroads, The Adventures of Robin Hood, William Tell, The Dave Allen Show, The Six Five Special (may have began in the 50's but was still around in the 60's) Parkinson, Wogan Panorama , The Frost Report, That Was The Week That Was. Wicker's World, Joe 90 (never really liked this show) All Gas and Gaters, Hale & Pace, The World About Us.

@Robbie I Bet You Didn't Know The Monster You Were About To Release, When You First Started This Topic, Did You?😂

• Love 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Well it is helping the grey matter. Didn't realise my memory was so good 😊 Can't say the same about short term memory though 😂

• Like 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,285
  • Days Won:  69

On 15/09/2024 at 13:01, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

@Robbie

Here's another blast from the past Quiz Ball, I bet @super_ram will remember that because Derby County were Crowned Quiz Ball Champions. 

On 14/09/2024 at 21:37, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

@Robbie

Then of course one of the Best if Not the Best Kids Prog, Drum Roll TISWAS. With Chris Tarrant  Sally James Bob Carolgees and Spit the Dog plus Lenny Henry (when he was funny) and who can forget the appearances of Frank Carson on that Show ? Brilliant.

Yes I can just remember Quiz Ball and certainly can't forget Tiswas.,but you forgot to mention Trevor East, one of the presenters, who always appeared wearing his Bruce Rioch number 6 Derby County shirt.

• Like 2

@super_ram

The one thing clearly I remember about the Quiz Ball Final, it was between Derby and Crystal Palace and Dear Old Ronnie Corbett presented the Winners Trophy. David Vine introduced Ronnie at the start of the Final as a Crystal Palace Fan. When Derby beat them before he presented Alan Durban with the Winners Trophy, Ronnie stated that there'd been a mistake in the opening announcement, that being he was in fact a Derby County Fan and Not a Crystal Palace Fans. Which brought much laughter from all present in the Studio.

• Like 1
  • Love 1