Notts County vs Shrewsbury Town

PON_News

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Well said @tonyhateley.I don't wish to put a downer on things but the Shrews just as desperate for points as Notts are and could therefore be dangerous.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  11

They aren't going to come and let us roll them over, they will get all their players defending when we have the ball, and Notts don't seem to be able to break teams down who employ this tactic. (not in the past anyway), I can see it being a scrappy game. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a draw to be honest.The fans will be expecting a good easy win, but us and Shrewsbury are where we are for a reason. I wonder which team will turn up the Team v Coventry or team vs Wolves. Obviously hoping for 3 points however gained, but they aren't going come easy.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

A Shrewsbury fan off a general football forum;

Am I missing something about Notts County because one look at the league table would suggest they're as bad as us?

He's got a fair point, until you actually look at the table.

F - 40 - A - 52 goals for/against us
F - 28 - A - 41 goals for/against them

I don't question their ability, yet if we didn't lose some games heavily (especially under CK) I don't think comparing wouldn't be possible. I also wouldn't say we're 'as' bad either, were bad but not quite the concern of Shrewsbury fans. Last time they won was the opening day of the new year, which is shocking.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Just arrived for the pre match burger king in the retail park. 2 kids in tow, sun shining, 3 points.

U pies

Goal!! And now a pen....

Brilliant start by us, goal number 2 Alan Sheehan.

Not a bad start. I'll have to bring both kids more often. I norm bring ben my son. Today ive brought both to see the win!

2-1 :(

Where u sat Joe? We'll give u a wave!

Where u sat Joe? We'll give u a wave!

First available row in the kop, right near the pavis side if goal.

What was our pen for? Seemed soft.

They've been pretty dirty/hands on and the red card? Why? It didn't make sense. It looked like two players jumping for the ball.

Sorry. Only just checked back. Were sat undee the a of ashfield vans yellow sign at the back of family stand.

Pen was soft but they all count!

Rubbish ref.

Bring enoch on !!!

What rubbish defending. 2-3 now :(

So bad kids have put ds on to give them something to enjoy

• Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

What a disaster! 2 0 up and then we became complacent instead of pushing on for that third goal. Discipline time and time again! Refs that make decisions which change the game. Their man should have been sent off but wasn't! We had chances to get back into the game even with ten men. Poor decisions by individual players and poor final deliveries. Mullins not interested today. Boucard nothing to offer. We clearly haven't got the stomach for a relegation fight #averyunhappypie

I try to avoid the knee jerk up and down of footy matches and player performances, but today really said a lot about some of the players out there.

Indiscipline seems a constant problem that means we have recently threw 6 pts away. No excuses for that at all.

Midfield. Did we have one today? Did Boucard actually play today? Mullins not much better either tbh.

Grealish. Although I like his obvious class, he was far to lazy with his passing today. Gave away the ball in vital areas. I suppose this is where the inexperience shows. JCR. 1st half tried hard and looked a threat. 2nd didn't get a chance.

Appiah. I know in another thread he was called rubbish earlier in the week, and Joe rightly said give him a chance. Well now he's had it and it was a waste of a shirt imo. We wnet down to 9 men with him on the field.

They folded like a pack of cards after the sending off.

Disgraceful attitude and I agree with Derry after the match that they need to stand up and be counted or sod off and find contracts elsewhere.

Relegation here we come.

I hope I calm down later or I can see me and the wife falling out over something silly!!! What ever it will be, it will be her bloody fault! 

Another point while I'm on a rant!

I'm not a keen gardener or proclaim to be, but the state of the pitch was poor today. It's no use going over the same old ground (pun intended) again, but when the players were finding it difficult to keep their footing in the first half, why the bloody hell did they leave sprinklers on for 15 minutes at half time?

Is someone reading a different weather report to me? Were they not seeing the players fall on their arses regularly due to the pitch being muddy in the first half?

Silly things like that make us look like a cowboy outfit, not a pro club.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

Oh dear!

Hard to know where to start with that. Utter tripe, complete shambles.

Keeping JCR, Grealish & Mullins on for 90 mins defies any credibility whatsoever. Bringing Showaddywaddy on put the tin kid on it for me - if anyone had any doubts he, yet again,confirmed that he is a joke footballer. It is insult to the paying public to have him on the team sheet tbh.

Oh dear!

Hard to know where to start with that. Utter tripe, complete shambles.

Keeping JCR, Grealish & Mullins on for 90 mins defies any credibility whatsoever. Bringing Showaddywaddy on put the tin kid on it for me - if anyone had any doubts he, yet again,confirmed that he is a joke footballer. It is insult to the paying public to have him on the team sheet tbh.

Be fair to the man. He only got a couple of minutes! I think alot more than Enochs brief appearance was wrong today!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I am to angry and depressed to comment tonight.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

Be fair to the man. He only got a couple of minutes! I think alot more than Enochs brief appearance was wrong today!

True, to an extent. He still managed to avoid making contact with the ball on numerous occasions and he went down like Devon Loch when it was easier to score! He is utter tripe mate, utter tripe.

True, to an extent. He still managed to avoid making contact with the ball on numerous occasions and he went down like Devon Loch when it was easier to score! He is utter tripe mate, utter tripe.

I'm not saying he is the best player at the club. In fact in all honesty I think he was a mistake signing by Rodders. But when he came in at the start of the season he did seem to have desire to play and win. He is stuck in a rut now like the players around him are. My appreciation comes from the fact that I've always liked the Devon Whites and the Dave Regis's of the club. That and its the only player my 5 yr old can easily recognise (as he is partially blind and he cant really miss the 6ft5 black guy!!! so we have to show our support for him.) Have tried to get him to move to Grealish or JCR, but no all he wants to see is Enoch  :)

After they pulled level, we deflated.

No point after this did I feel we would win or draw, I don't believe they played well enough to warrant even a draw. The ref pretty much changed the game! The sending off, I don't know. It seemed soft to me, though supposedly he made enough contact to warrant a straight red. The ref just went down hill from then and I don't like blaming them, though this official is very poor!

I feel somewhat proud, we started as we should and I don't blame the 10 men. I do feel they should have been able to cope but we didn't.

We move on.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

Well it started well, but we seemed to lose effort. The 2nd half we seemed to let the ball pass by instead of trying to get it. We wern't completely hopeless but could of done much better. Onwards and UPWARDS.... well it can't possibly be downwards :unsure:

Play better at the next game Notts... we do need the points.

• Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

I think the disappointing thing for me this season has been the appalling officials. Luck is supposed to even out but I haven't seen much of that happening. Spencer probably did have an arm flailing but the ref was very naive as well. Their defender was constantly at the ref setting it up, complaining about things that hadn't happened and as soon as Spencer did the slightest thing wrong he was off! It wasn't malicious but the ref chose to red card him. If he'd followed the rules re Appiah's incident the Shrewsbury player should have been sent off as he was the last man!! Both decisions went against us. Another stand out moment in another game(Notts v Bristol City) was Gary Liddle's injury. Their player wasn't even booked but should have been sent off. I don't think we'd be in the relegation zone if Liddle hadn't been out for all this time.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Well I have calmed down now and realised that there are more important things than a football match. Here are my thoughts.

I set off full of anticipation for a good match and hopefully a win, after all the Shrews hadn't won a match since New Years Day!

I took Grandson George with me and he was excited to going to the match, outside the ground I bumped into @notts-joe. @super_ram, @super_pie, @cheeky~k8 and @Cobby. I managed to have a brief word and George did his usual trick of going all shy in company, then we went to the shop to get George a woolly Notts hat because he was adamant that he needed one because his hat "wasn't a County hat". We were however disappointed because they had sold out.

We went to take our seats and it was nice to see @magpiejue with her mum and grandaughter who sat next to George, again he did his usual trick of going all shy.

The game started and very soon we were one up thanks to a goal from Grealish, this was soon followed by a clear cut penalty which Sheehan took with aplomb, great I thought, that's 3 points in the bag, I think the players must have thought that too because they seemed to change the way they were playing and the Shrews were soon back in it at 2-1, then came the sending off, I couldn't see clearly whether Spencer should have been sent off or not but he walked off to a mixture of boos and applause, quite a few around me thought he was to blame for a silly reckless challenge.

I moved with George nearer to the touchline at half time so that he didn't get too bored and could get a better view, things seemed to go downhill fast in the second half, I know we were down to 10 men but we should have shut up shop, the two goals were awful defending, the players seemed to think it was a foregone conclusion that we were going to lose and we did. They really should hang their heads in shame after that second half performance, it was diabolical, I fear we are down now, I have lost my belief that we can escape, I hope I am wrong I really do but the trap door beckons and these players are not good/consistent enough to get us out of trouble.

As I say there are more important things happening in the world than Notts losing a match and if/when they do go down I'll still be there to cheer them on as usual.

Archived