Notts County Ladies aiming high in league and cup

Chris

Jess Clarke: Notts County Ladies aiming high in league and cup
Women's Super League: Notts County v Arsenal
  • Venue: Meadow Lane
  • Date: Wednesday, 16 April
  • Kick-off: 19:30 BST

Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra from 18:30 BST

Winger Jess Clarke says Notts County Ladies have high ambitions for their maiden season at Meadow Lane.

The Magpies host Arsenal on Wednesday in their first Women's Super League match since controversially relocating from Lincoln.

Stoney reunion at Notts
_74243456_pa-19428454.jpg

England captain Casey Stoney rejoined Arsenal in January after three years with Lincoln.

Notts got off to a winning start at the ground, beating Coventry City in the FA Women's Cup fifth round on Sunday.

"Whether in the league or cup, I don't think anything is out of reach," Clarke told BBC East Midlands Today.

"We have to set the bar high and aim for that. A lot of hard work and preparation has gone on behind the scenes - we have to believe and trust that what we do on the training pitch and implement that on the game."

As Lincoln Ladies last term, the club finished runners-up to Arsenal in the Continental Cup and sixth in the league.

Manager Rick Passmoor is looking for more composure from his team after marking their relocation and rebrand as Notts County with a battling display against Coventry to set up a last-eight cup tie at Portsmouth.

"The players were a bit anxious and nervous, so it was good to get 90 minutes under their belt, to play on Meadow Lane and to play for this historic club," he said.

"It's a fresh start, new WSL season and franchise and the players want to be here at Notts County.

"They are playing for the badge, not the name on their back.

"They have got to ensure that they are nice and composed and relaxed come game day.

"It will be a completely different mindset against Arsenal, we will play well and it will be a super game."

Supporter+

Even the manager admits it's a franchise ;-)

Lincoln Ladies didn't concede many goals last season and Passmoor knows his stuff, but I doubt Notts have the quality to finish in the top 3. Tonight's game should be a good indicator. 

• 2 weeks later...

I  must say the notts county ladies really are doing well in the cup and the league its nice see to a ladies team from notts county facing team like the great arsenal in the ladies division and other team the gents side have not faced for a long time. I love the fact they are doing well adding to the squad and notts county must be proud to have a ladies team that are doing well well done ladies show them what notts ladies can do.

Archived