Sheehan interview

Supporter+

I guess most of you would have missed the interview with Alan Sheehan after the Oldham match.

Colin asked him about his future and if he would be playing for Notts next season, he said that anyone would want to play for Derry but the club need to pay him and others better money if he was to stay, he said that he had taken a pay cut to stay at Notts but then they brought in new players who our now on loan for stupid money (a clear reference to Haynes) he said the players who wanted to play for the club and had helped keep them up were not rewarded enough.

That was the gist of the conversation and it didn't sound like he would be here next season, if you've got magpie player it should be on there, give it a listen.

Emotions clearly got the better of out captain. Two things.really.

Don't like players asking for money through the media. Shouldn't work tbd. It's not as though we won the league. I along with 3500 odd enjoyed Saturday, but in the bigger scheme of things we were bottom for along time.

After that, can't see Danny Haynes coming back to the club with welcome arms!

I haven't heard it again since Saturday but what stuck in my mind was that he mentioned being appreciated.He said he was OK taking a wage cut under the circumstances but thought that Notts could/should show some appreciation.To me it sounded like he wanted to stay but felt a bit let down(and not just for himself) Hopefully SD and GA will already have noticed  certain things that need addressing and along with Mr Trew will take Notts in the right direction.

The wage cut is a bit of a misnomer in the sense that he was left with no club last close season. He decided to ransom himself last year and nobody came in for him, leaving him to come back to Notts, after an ordinary season at best, looking for a place.

Don't get me wrong, he has been fantastic this year and I would love him to stay, but he also jumped on the Bishop bandwagon and walked, cursing the club and the way it was run. Leaving himself open to offers and getting none meant coming back to the table with Notts, and them quite rightly, offering less than before as he wasn't 'hot' property.

This close season will be different as he negotiating from a position of strength with a club that has alot more going for it now than the infighting with CK last year.

Again, I put alot of it down to the emotions of the day, but in his defence he felt it just as much as we did on the day so credit for that.

To me. It was a wake-up call.

I think we have a core of players that want to stay here and should stay here.

The interview on the other hand was a bit of a Downer. Then again, you have to question the commentators questions. But that is for another topic.

I think sheehan will sign for the two years

COYP

Supporter+

To me. It was a wake-up call.

I think we have a core of players that want to stay here and should stay here.

The interview on the other hand was a bit of a Downer. Then again, you have to question the commentators questions. But that is for another topic.

I think sheehan will sign for the two years

COYP

I don't see anything wrong with the question it was a straight forward question along the lines of "will you be playing forNotts next season", Sheehan could have just said that he hoped very much to be playing for Notts but it depended on circumstances and leave it at that.

It was a bit if a downer but only a small part of the interview there were lots of positive things said, he said the fans had been fantastic to him since he joined Notts and that he loved playing for Derry and Abbott.

I hope you are right @Canadian and he signs on the dotted line, I think he is a good player for us and it would be nice to have some continuity in the team.

I was really dissapointed when I watched this on magpie player. Ofcourse players want more money, and Alan is probably one of the few who over the full season has earned his wages. But what a time to ask for a pay rise. We'd just completed one of the greatest of great escapes, it was a joyous occasion, and to be honest I think his comments put a bit of a downer on things. It wouldn't have hurt to have at least waited until Monday and said something in the NEP if he really felt the need to.

I'd like to see Alan still here next season but time will tell. Think we have 3 players contracted for next season - Bart being the only one I can actually remember. I'd like to see Alan stay, Gary Liddle for deffinite, Ronan Murray of course, Haydn Hollis, and Jimmy Spencer. He never got much of a look in at Huddersfield so who knows. I know Derry has said he wants to try and get Hayden Hullins in on a permanent basis.

Time will tell. For now, I'm still enjoying this incredible achievement! Feels like a promotion

Haynes really didn't come with the glowing report and although I defend him, I cannot justify his wages. This is why I say/type if he is to stay, he needs to take a pay cut and step up. He's a lucky person, I'd give anything to have a football career and he really is. Sheehan does deserve to have a good wage, if he's is I don't know but for his dedication and hard work - surely he deserves a longer contract than before?

I don't really like players using the media for pay rises, however if you pay someone based on ability and responsibility. He shouldn't be out-shadowed by players who give nothing.

Derry will sort this.

it shows the value on players, the wages haynes is supposed to be on. its not really worked, sort of similar to a defender who keeps you a game and a striker who scores, doesnt really play well but gets the motm. 

Archived