Radio Nottingham Boycott

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Can anyone remember this? If memory serves me right in the old days when Radio Red only had one wavelength 103.8 they used to cover Notts and Forest matches alternately I think they did live commentary on whoever was at home and score flashes on the away team. They suddenly decided to stop doing commentary on Notts games altogether, this as you can imagine caused uproar amongst Notts fans, I remember sending a letter of protest of myself. It was the days before fan websites/forums but the Notts County Mailling list were very active in organising a "Boycott Radio Nottingham" campaign, there were car stickers printed, I've still got mine somewhere "I'm boycotting Radio Nottingham" which I put in my car, lots of Notts fans did the same.

Eventually due to the pressure from the fans the new wavelength was created 95.5 and this became our wavelength for home and away games. Hence from then on I always referred to them as Radio Red.

Anyone else remember this, have I remembered it correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I was living away from Nottingham at the time and had to put up with goal updates from radio 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

No, never knew or at least if I did I forget.

Perhaps we could do this against the NEP/TIN, get rid of Birtles and Burns writing about us. Quite clearly they're a duo and the paper/site to blame for their silly, biased opinions?

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

no, i never knew that.

Perhaps we could do this against the NEP/TIN, get rid of Birtles and Burns writing about us. Quite clearly they're a duo and the paper/site to blame for their silly, biased opinions?

please, i dislike birtles very strongly. ;)

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Can anyone remember this? If memory serves me right in the old days when Radio Red only had one wavelength 103.8 they used to cover Notts and Forest matches alternately I think they did live commentary on whoever was at home and score flashes on the away team. They suddenly decided to stop doing commentary on Notts games altogether, this as you can imagine caused uproar amongst Notts fans, I remember sending a letter of protest of myself. It was the days before fan websites/forums but the Notts County Mailling list were very active in organising a "Boycott Radio Nottingham" campaign, there were car stickers printed, I've still got mine somewhere "I'm boycotting Radio Nottingham" which I put in my car, lots of Notts fans did the same.

Eventually due to the pressure from the fans the new wavelength was created 95.5 and this became our wavelength for home and away games. Hence from then on I always referred to them as Radio Red.

Anyone else remember this, have I remembered it correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can remember vaguely but can't put a date to it.I have a recollection of my Father in law being annoyed.

Supporter+

I started my own one man boycott of the NEP quite a few years ago, it's a red rag.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

No, I dont remember this at all.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I started my own one man boycott of the NEP quite a few years ago, it's a red rag.

Sadly it's a source of news for me to explore and for that reason I can't as such, though I rarely ever buy the paper. I think the last time was well over a year ago and it was more because I featured inside it.

Supporter+

As not many people remember it I decided to do a little digging I found the following on this website http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ncfc/maggies08.html:

"At the turn of the millennium there was a "Boycott Radio Nottingham" campaign by County fans after the station's new sports editor took the decision to cover Nottingham Forest playing at home as well as away, thus reducing Colin back to doing reports only. A compromise was eventually reached which saw all of County's matches broadcast in full on the North Notts 95.5 FM frequency (and later on DAB as well). From the 2002/03 season Colin's commentaries could also be heard wordwide via the club website with ex-player Dean Yates joining as the regular summariser*.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  1

They bang on about f&r3$t far to much for my liking. But when they dont win in 8 matches its funny, They hype them up soo much like its real madrid "passing game" this, "goals all over the pitch" that. It gets boring.

Archived