Steven Gerrard

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I've just been reading another site where by a fan says;

"Everyone seems to be sucking up to him, but he basically is leaving because he wouldnt be first pick anymore, but he would have done them the favour of signing up for a few more million quid had they asked in the summer, when he thought he would still get to play whenever he wanted."

Supposedly he has a ego, although I can relate to the real reasons he's leaving or at least it's how I see it. You may feel differently?

He's leaving because he knows his best playing days are behind him, he retired from international duty when he still is one of our better players to focus on his league career. This suggest to me at the stage of the decision Steven realized something was different, that he's past his peak and that he wanted to prolong his career with the team he supports.

Nothing remotely selfish about that and I see no signs of a massive 'ego' which the title suggested.

Steven Gerrard is Liverpool FC, for me he is still worth his place in what is a very poor team considering the amount of money they have spent and the way they play.

I can relate to him not wanting fans to see him as 'past it' and I think it's an incredible sign of respect to not be selfish by joining another English club where he is settled, which probably would offer more than LA Galaxy (I'm specifically speaking money) and by refusing to play against them. This isn't solely because he wants to be remembered as a 'legend' and a 'great player' but because I guess it would hurt him.

What do you think about the Gerrard retirement saga? I am really curious! Do you think he's being selfish? #debate

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i think its just football @notts-joe that fan probably does not like gerrard or appreciate what hes done for the english game. possible it could be frank lampard or his no1 fan. lol

i dont think gerrard is being selfish at all, he probably felt this way when he retired.

hope the moves suits him, it will be sad not seeing him feature on saturday because hes a very good player.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Not selfish, sensible. Going from a great player dominating the game to a league where he will dominate again and earn a tidy sum as well.

He was never going to play as much this year and Rogers realises that until he leaves Liverpool can't move on. Last year was a brilliant run for them, but it has been obvious for a while that Suarez see spearheaded that run. With no class to replace class then what did they expect to happen?

Ricky Lambert anyone???

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

I would not put it past Rodgers to have had a word with him.

Liverpool are at a standstill at the moment, they cannot replace him but they can start to move on. I dont think they will be the same without his leadership, they dont have a player like Stevie G.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  732
  • Days Won:  3

He will always be a legend for the club, without him they would never have won the champions league.

Not selfish at all.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Times are a changing at LFC, there was a time where he wouldn't be allowed to leave, he would have been sensibly moved into the back room and groomed for the future.

His record speaks for itself !!!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The days of Liverpool bringing through their own talent is pretty much long gone because of their managers not willing to try them. Yes, they have had a couple under Rodgers but the majority end up within the Championship or with League One teams.

Steven Gerrard is the ideal person to have helped change this but obviously it's not going to happen.

I wouldn't put it past him returning to Liverpool but not as a player, he will have a lot to offer the club either as a coach or a figure head like Man City have with Vieira.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

The move suites both parties, though I would have liked to see Steven attempt to help a club within england.

You just dont see players like him stepping down the leagues now, mind i never felt he would drop lower than the premiership.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

He was and still is a great player and what a servant he has been to Liverpool, I would have liked to see him stay in England if not with Liverpool then with another premiership side but he has earned the right to decide where his future lies so good luck to him.

Archived