Todays crowd

PTID1862

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Ok, so the crowd today wasn't our largest, not by long chalk, given the opposition who are normally quite well followed when they visit the lane, I had expected over 6000. Not much I grant you, but certainly a few more than there were.

Without looking how many would you expect at an FA CUP tie involving a Championship side at home to a Premier League side? 10,000..... 15,000..... 20,000 even?

Ok so it is January, and even given the slight economic upturn, times are still difficult, Christmas has just gone, there are plenty of credit card bills due paying.... perhaps a low crowd could be somewhat understandable.

Given that our results have stuttered a little, been hit and miss, the football hasn't been knockout, yes I can fully understand on a cold afternoon perhaps with some nagging from other halves and bills due, why there have been people do other things. Disappointing though it is....

Consider then that Notts County v Peterborough, drew more of a crowd than Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City.

Now that shocked me, is it that we expect too many to attend?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I expected more with red not playing at all. Then again, those that were there didn't deserve that!

• Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

A long January and Christmas still taking its toll on me,next game I can attend is the Chesterfield game. Local-ish team I would expect/hoping for a better attendance than today.

The Swansea attendance does surprise me, premiership team and all. Does the magic of the FA Cup not cross the Severn bridge? I do believe they are usually much better supported than today.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think a lot of work, a lot of 'hard' work will only increase the attendance.

League One will always be difficult to reach a certain amount, unless we signed several 'big' players or became a side which the expectation of promotion. I don't think we do 'expect' to see more than we should, however money goes quickly at football matches and fans are only open to spending so much of their budget on it. I mean right now our regular fan base is around 5-6k but that isn't bad.

Years of playing in the basement league has taken effect and hold on our attendances.

As I have said before, even with promotion to the Championship I think we struggle to attract more than 7k (at least with home fans). Yes midland clubs and big teams will help to sell-out the away end but if we was to get relegated, it would be back down to 5-6k. Sadly I think with our fan base being quite mature, many loyal fans have passed a way, whereas some others have lost interest, moved overseas or are unable to attend games for whatever reason.

The hard work his to change the 'opinions' of Nottingham's born and bred, most will naturally support Forest and unless family members support Notts, I expect the rest to go on and become glory fans supporting the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and United.

Making the club open helps, having fans who work hard (which isn't appreciated as it should be) helps. I mean there are fans who go above and beyond the duty of a fan and I know getting none Notts supporters involved helps. I mean I get @jsrjay to attend every now or then, especially in the past. I have a friend who recently started bringing his lad down and his friends now join them both. I also met a Sheffield Wednesday fan who drives down from Scotland every now or then, just to visit his two Notts supporting friends.

Notts need to tap more into the community, yet I think this is something we as fans can help with.

I'll do it for the love of the club I support, no other reasons.

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I just think at time we moan about the size of the crowd, and right now I believe we are getting "OUR fair share" of the market. WE need to improve our league status and as you say lots of background work, and then see where we are at. The self destruction of the premier league would help

• Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

It is slightly concerning, but I guess it's better than the dark days scrapping at the bottom of league two.

Then again, there isn't much I can do as an individual other than turn up each week and give my support to Notts!

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

Att: 16,587 

Notts County   1 - 1   Man City

To be fair, Swansea aren't half as attractive as draw for Blackburn as City were for us. Opponents like that were their bread and butter until very recently so I don't blame their fans for not getting excited. It's still, a dismal attendance though.

Regarding Notts, we haven't averaged more than about 6000 at this level post Clough, and that won't change unless we're genuinely challenging at the top. The prices certainly aren't helping, but that doesn't just apply to us.

What do people think it will take for us to get crowds back to around the 7.5-8.4k amount?

Surely there are ways of attracting support from within the young fans of Nottingham? I'm really interested to see what people can come up with, it must be a real headache.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i think the club need to do more to bridge with the fans, tho that does not gain loyalty.

I dont even think kids for a quid would make a difference

Regards Allen. You Pies!

Short term no, long term it can have benefits it all depends really.

It makes a difference to get families down, especially those likely to spend money in the tea bars but it doesn't make a large difference. That said Forest do it often and it doesn't cause them problems.

I love the cups and the discounted entrance price makes them even more appealing. Unfortunately not everyone agrees as I was shocked when we played Preston in the JPT. A couple of games from Wembley and there were only about 3000 there

Regards Allen. You Pies!

Archived