McCourt Targets Northern Ireland Starts

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

McCourt seeking manager O'Neill's blessing for Hampden

McCourt1.jpg

Paddy McCourt has started a new love affair... with Notts County fans the latest to fall under the wizard's spell.

The gifted 31-year-old wants the affection to continue tonight when his new club travel to Colchester for a vital League One encounter.

The Londonderry native will also hope Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill takes notice as he bids to fight his way into the international reckoning ahead of a friendly in Scotland and the Euro 2016 qualifier at home to Finland later this month.

McCourt joined County on loan until the end of the season from Brighton last month and made his debut on Saturday for the Nottingham outfit in their 1-0 defeat to Port Vale.

According to Magpies boss Shaun Derry, despite the loss, McCourt, whose skills have hypnotised Derry City, Celtic, Barnsley and Northern Ireland supporters at various times over the last decade, was sensational.

"He is a very good player and, at times, I thought he was on a different page to the rest," said Derry.

"The longer he is here with us, the longer we get to know him and we can get to understand him better. He is great on the eye, but he also has that final killer ball.

"I thought he was outstanding in the first half and he showed glimpses of it again in the second half.

"He makes things happen. He lifts people off their feet and I felt that, given his performance, he didn't deserve to be on the losing side."

Derry will need more inspiration from McCourt with Notts County in the middle of an alarming slide down the table.

In contention for promotion earlier this season, with Northern Ireland goalkeeper Roy Carroll playing a significant role, County have lost NINE of their last 12 games and now find themselves just three points above the drop zone prior to the clash with Colchester, who are in relegation trouble themselves.

McCourt last played for Northern Ireland in October, when the Kop at Windsor Park called for him to come off the bench during the comfortable 2-0 win over the Faroe Islands. O'Neill gave the crowd their wish, but the ex-Parkhead star struggled to make an impact.

Ahead of the forthcoming double header with Scotland (March 25) and Finland (March 29), McCourt could do with producing more eye catching displays at club level before O'Neill reveals his squad next week.

McCourt would love to be involved and would relish the chance to turn on his own brand of stylish football at Hampden against some of his old Celtic team-mates, who are well on their way to another Scottish Premiership title after beating closest challengers Aberdeen 4-0 on Sunday.

Still good enough? Can he do it? Will it help us? Thoughts?

@mightymccourt, @Dripsey3, @Northants Pie?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i dont see why he cant and wont, if he does well for us then its only likely he will make the first team for them. i just hope it does not alert other clubs to him and our deal ends up being terminated.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

After Saturday I don't see why not!!!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

There's only one way to get it and that's good for the Pies

Regards Al

You Pies!

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

He is good enough, probably too good for them to miss out to be frank.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  904
  • Days Won:  3

Surely they would gain from having him play, seems a very good player. Northern Ireland stand a great chance of progressing and making something of themselves, so lets hope he can do it for us and them. 

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Easily good enough, will be good for him which in turn will be good for us if he signs on permanent next year.

Lets hope we do get him next year

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

He's good enough alright, I see no reason why he isn't being selected. This will be good for notts, there is no doubt about that.

Archived