Howard Kendall R.I.P.

Dripsey3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

One of the best managers of his time. Everton legend. Spent some time at the lane in 1995. Anyone have memories to share?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/17/former-everton-manager-howard-kendall-dies

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I we'll remember the news breaking that Howard Kendall was going to be the new manager, he was still quite a big name at the time and I was so excited about it, thinking at last that Notts could start to go places. Sadly his tenure was very short and he was sacked amidst rumours of heavy drinking.

I'm sad to hear of his death.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  65
  • Days Won:  1

I think Howard Kendall was the one manager Derek Pavis gave full responsibility for finances and later regretted it, was a great manager in the 80's with Everton, built a great squad. RIP

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

A great manager at Everton. As said before, His time here at Notts was not his shining moment. He misdemeanour's are well catalogued. RIP.

• Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

Great player & manager for Everton and it was  a surprise, as well as a coup, when he turned up here.  It was a difficult time and we didn't see the best of him due to the "health" problems.

Thought it was disappointing that he didn't merit a mention over the tannoy or on the scoreboard yesterday. I can understand the lack of recognition by way of silence/applause or armbands etc due to the timing - but not to record it at all was very poor imo, very poor indeed.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

Great player & manager for Everton and it was a surprise, as well as a coup, when he turned up here. It was a difficult time and we didn't see the best of him due to the "health" problems.

Thought it was disappointing that he didn't merit a mention over the tannoy or on the scoreboard yesterday. I can understand the lack of recognition by way of silence/applause or armbands etc due to the timing - but not to record it at all was very poor imo, very poor indeed.

No football league club had a minute silence apleause etc the club stated it had to be to allowed by the football league and his family.

That's why our next game all football league clubs will honour his remberence if they all agree the club mentioned this on Twitter I believe .

Twitter!

Not too difficult to make a reference and recognise his passing to the people actually in the ground over the tannoy was it?

(Re your response: Indeed, that is why I stated it was understandable that there was no silence or applause).

Twitter!

Not too difficult to make a reference and recognise his passing to the people actually in the ground over the tannoy was it?

(Re your response: Indeed, that is why I stated it was understandable that there was no silence or applause).

Don't take this wrong yea the only grounds that I am aware that had a minute silence was Everton Preston and Blackburn no league one club league two club.

Not to mention the news broke out at 8AM -9AM then the football league and his Family have to agree to things also the clubs have to acknowledge him so why didn't Notts acknowledge him.?

The way a see it is the Football League should of said to the clubs pay you're respects to this man plus his family have to allow it I believe not sure how they do it.

You'd be better saying to the club why didn't you acknowledge MR Howard Kendell as I'm sure they have reasons or maybe they was told late who knows

It's very sad whatever way you look at it

and yes the club probaly should of said ladies and gentlemen today is a sad day last night Howard Kendall passed etc but even then you can't give the man the applause or minute silence he deserves.

Becuase A if the family or Football League have not agreed with this you could get punished you don't know what the club is told

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I signed his book of remembrance yesterday, I wrote a thank you for what he achieved for us by winning the Anglo Italian cup and included all PON/Notts fans.

Very saddened to hear about this.

As a youngster I didn't feel he was a bad manager for us, I obviously know he did well with Everton.

R.I.P Howard Kendall.

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

I was a season-ticket holder at Goodison through much of Kendall's playing and managerial career. I've nothing original to say except that most Evertonians will agree that there have been 2 outstanding midfields in the club's history; the 'Holy Trinity' of Ball, Kendall and Harvey, and the one he managed of Sheedy, Steven, Reid and Bracewell. To be involved in both as a player and then a manager will be his lasting football memory for me.  Which was the best one? There's no answer to that.

Like many supporters of my generation I met Howard on many occasions, especially away games and pre-season tours in Europe. All he wanted to do was talk football over a drink (or two). There was no side to him, no feeling of "I know what I'm talking about and you're just a supporter", he just loved you because you loved the same club as him.  There have been greater footballers at Everton over the years, but nobody loved and gave more to the club than Howard.

You can also get a sense of the man from the tributes paid by Jamie Carragher, Mark Lawrenson, Kenny Dalglish and others from the 'Darkside'.

I was at the Yeovil game with my Everton scarf on and @[member="Blackville"] wore his EFC shirt as a tribute. I was really upset that no announcement was made, given his connection with Notts. I accept the points made above about minute's applause etc., but it'll take me a long time to forgive NCFC.

Farewell Howard, thank you for the incredible memories, and I for one will never forget you as a player, manager or one of the most decent and friendly men I have ever met in football or anywhere else for that matter.

RIP

I was a season-ticket holder at Goodison through much of Kendall's playing and managerial career. I've nothing original to say except that most Evertonians will agree that there have been 2 outstanding midfields in the club's history; the 'Holy Trinity' of Ball, Kendall and Harvey, and the one he managed of Sheedy, Steven, Reid and Bracewell. To be involved in both as a player and then a manager will be his lasting football memory for me. Which was the best one? There's no answer to that.

Like many supporters of my generation I met Howard on many occasions, especially away games and pre-season tours in Europe. All he wanted to do was talk football over a drink (or two). There was no side to him, no feeling of "I know what I'm talking about and you're just a supporter", he just loved you because you loved the same club as him. There have been greater footballers at Everton over the years, but nobody loved and gave more to the club than Howard.

You can also get a sense of the man from the tributes paid by Jamie Carragher, Mark Lawrenson, Kenny Dalglish and others from the 'Darkside'.

I was at the Yeovil game with my Everton scarf on and @[member="Blackville"] wore his EFC shirt as a tribute. I was really upset that no announcement was made, given his connection with Notts. I accept the points made above about minute's applause etc., but it'll take me a long time to forgive NCFC.

Farewell Howard, thank you for the incredible memories, and I for one will never forget you as a player, manager or one of the most decent and friendly men I have ever met in football or anywhere else for that matter.

RIP

Can respect that statement as you watched him and was a big part of you're life if the club was informed of his death they should of paid a tribute to the man.

But if the football league didn't allow this with clubs they should be ashamed of themselves for a former footballer it's sad whatever way you look at it.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

How would the club have handled a tannoy announcement? They could hardly say, "by the way, Howard Kendall has died," could they? It's hard to make that kind of announcement if it's not followed up with anything. I think they just took the decision to wait until the family have given permission and do it properly then.

Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen Kendall's teams in their pomp, and his tenure at Notts was short and chaotic. His teams were renowned for their attractive passing football though, and he is the second-last English manager to have won the title (the last was Howard Wilkinson, who also managed Notts). RIP Mr Kendall.

How would the club have handled a tannoy announcement? They could hardly say, "by the way, Howard Kendall has died," could they? It's hard to make that kind of announcement if it's not followed up with anything. I think they just took the decision to wait until the family have given permission and do it properly then.

Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen Kendall's teams in their pomp, and his tenure at Notts was short and chaotic. His teams were renowned for their attractive passing football though, and he is the second-last English manager to have won the title (the last was Howard Wilkinson, who also managed Notts). RIP Mr Kendall.

Same thing I've been saying since his death and it's a family decision

Same thing I've been saying since his death and it's a family decision

Weird how the BBC & other media managed to do it then!

A simple, "it is regret that we have learned the sad news about the passing of former manager Howard Kendall earlier today. The Club wishes to express sincere condolences to his family's this difficult time", would have sufficed.

There's nothing hard about that!

By the way, what,precisely, do you mean by "it's a family decision" - what is?

Weird how the BBC & other media managed to do it then!

A simple, "it is regret that we have learned the sad news about the passing of former manager Howard Kendall earlier today. The Club wishes to express sincere condolences to his family's this difficult time", would have sufficed.

There's nothing hard about that!

By the way, what,precisely, do you mean by "it's a family decision" - what is?

Basically the news broke out on Saturday around 8am I believe if wrong someone correct me then Everton Would of been first to know this.

And clubs would of been informed how many clubs I don't know and also the FA and his family would have to agree with around 70-80 clubs maybe the number is wrong no maths person.

The FA and Family may not of wanted every single club to know or acknowledge it silly as it may sound it's there privacy and there choice and if the FA have said you can't have a minute applause or silence then that's there choice.

We may have a minute applause at our next home game not every club had this so as for the BBC I imagine either the family had spoken to journalists or allowed Everton to speak to them.

That's just my take could be wrong the FA and the club only know the truth what they were told to do and not to do it's sad but we don't know what was actually told to clubs

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

His memory was respected at Man City and Blackburn on Saturday, so why them and not Notts, even if just in the form of @[member="Pies4u"] announcement?

His memory was respected at Man City and Blackburn on Saturday, so why them and not Notts, even if just in the form of @[member="Pies4u"] announcement?

Ask the club there the only ones who will have the answer or the FA

Archived