Best Places to bring kids up in Nottingham

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Happy 2016 one and all!!!

As the title suggests where are the best placed to bring kids up in Nottingham? Likewise where are the really bad areas? 

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Independent how you view things. I'm sure most would agree anything is better than Northants though!

• Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

It would really depend on what constitutes a good place and a bad place, there are many places with bad reputations such as St anns, the meadows, Clifton, Bilborough, Broxtowe, Radford, but that's just stereotyping areas that id consider to have more Muppets than nice people

12 minutes ago, hissingdwarf said:

Independent how you view things. I'm sure most would agree anything is better than Northants though!

Now now Michael...... ha ha

Where I currently live is a very friendly place where most people will say hello and don't think they are something they are not, this is being diluted by the influx of Eastern Europeans and Londoners as both sets of people are in the most part up themselves and extremely ignorant.

As you can probably guess friendliness is a big thing for me as with having kids I want them to be able to make friends and enjoy their childhood without the threat of violence or indifference, I would like them to go to a school that values developing them as people as much as education and for me & Mrs Northants we would like an area that people are nice, friendly and willing to help each other out as neighbours and people in general should do.

Asking too much??

21 minutes ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

It would really depend on what constitutes a good place and a bad place, there are many places with bad reputations such as St anns, the meadows, Clifton, Bilborough, Broxtowe, Radford, but that's just stereotyping areas that id consider to have more Muppets than nice people

Would you move your young kids into any of those areas listed or would you rather move them to say West Bridgford (I have heard this was / is a good place) given that you want the best for them?

2 minutes ago, Northants Pie said:

Would you move your young kids into any of those areas listed or would you rather move them to say West Bridgford (I have heard this was / is a good place) given that you want the best for them?

Id definitely bring mine up in West Bridgeford, Wilford is quite nice aswell but for me more bad places spring to mind than good ones

1 minute ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

Id definitely bring mine up in West Bridgeford, Wilford is quite nice aswell but for me more bad places spring to mind than good ones

Are those places expensive to live? Also are the people in the most part friendly? Apologies for the questions just trying to find out where would be worth looking at

I wouldn't know about the cost being a younger pie, but from what I know they are nice places and the people ive met from those places are always nice, but I would say they were more expensive than the places I mentioned before, but naturally you want the best for your kids and that's admirable

@Northants Pie Get yourself up North of the city. Kirkby in Ashfield where we settled (lived in Nottingham centre, Bingham and Top Valley so seen most sides of the city) is a lovely place to bring up a family. We spent alot of time researching exactly some of the things you mentioned, especially the children part. With me being in the profession at the time, I spent serious time sorting out schools that were based on the children and not just an ofsted report. Also the value of the property is better over here. Sold a 2 bed semi in Bingham to move here and brought a 4 bed detatched literally 30 secs from a country park and saved money. Great for the kids and the dogs. I used to commute on the train 30 mins from City Centre. Just enough to be far enough away but close enough. 

Also good for other places Meadowhall, Derby and Chesterfield all in easy reach.

People are the best i've ever met. 

As I said the kids were he biggest thing for us and making sure they would be in an are where they would have all the opportunities and all the choices, without (no disrespect to anyone living in West Bridgford) the pomp and glory. Rather they grew up knowing how to appreciate life a little more. Saying that both mine are spoilt brats!!!!!

You after a new build or a 20-30 yr old home?

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Beeston for us.

9 hours ago, hissingdwarf said:

@Northants Pie Get yourself up North of the city. Kirkby in Ashfield where we settled (lived in Nottingham centre, Bingham and Top Valley so seen most sides of the city) is a lovely place to bring up a family. We spent alot of time researching exactly some of the things you mentioned, especially the children part. With me being in the profession at the time, I spent serious time sorting out schools that were based on the children and not just an ofsted report. Also the value of the property is better over here. Sold a 2 bed semi in Bingham to move here and brought a 4 bed detatched literally 30 secs from a country park and saved money. Great for the kids and the dogs. I used to commute on the train 30 mins from City Centre. Just enough to be far enough away but close enough. 

Also good for other places Meadowhall, Derby and Chesterfield all in easy reach.

People are the best i've ever met. 

As I said the kids were he biggest thing for us and making sure they would be in an are where they would have all the opportunities and all the choices, without (no disrespect to anyone living in West Bridgford) the pomp and glory. Rather they grew up knowing how to appreciate life a little more. Saying that both mine are spoilt brats!!!!!

You after a new build or a 20-30 yr old home?

Preferably an older property but open to all really, I like the thermal efficiency of a new build but hate the overly small rooms, also I like the charactet soom old houses have. What are the schools like that way for primary places?

I get the West Bridgford bit, hence my earlier reply regarding not wanting people who are up themselves in the most part

16 minutes ago, Northants Pie said:

Preferably an older property but open to all really, I like the thermal efficiency of a new build but hate the overly small rooms, also I like the charactet soom old houses have. What are the schools like that way for primary places?

I get the West Bridgford bit, hence my earlier reply regarding not wanting people who are up themselves in the most part

Most of the good schools around here have places in most year groups. The blip is in reception and that's where most of the schools have big numbers. Greenwood Primary is the school for my two and its down for expansion in the next year. The bonus of the area is they feed to Ashfield comp which is a good comp and place to learn. Some comps are bull pits and others are too grade driven. Ashfield comp ( and the primaries ) focus more on the child as a person and that gets the results.

I would recommend the area to anyone. 

Even better it is a Labour run district council, which in a few years time, will hopefully have me sitting on it!

In all seriousness, the area has come on so much in the past ten years. Went from being an old pit village to thriving town.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Wollaton is a great area with good schools, if I ever have enough money - that would be one location I would look at.

Archived