Where and when did our season go wrong?

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,995
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Where and when did our season go wrong? In your opinion what changed the course of the season...

Discuss

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

Are you new to the forum @notts-joe?

When people started calling for Moniz to be axed.....Ray got twitchy....JF heard a rumour we were hiring.......and the rest is too sad to discuss.

I am off to get some more meds!!

I personally think the finer things made a large impact.

I'm talking squad size, interferences (Branston/Post banning) etc. At Villa the season looked set to take off, I mean what an amazing encounter but likewise for Villa - Notts just haven't made the grade this season. Losing to Mansfield at home made a huge dint in our season, as did the Salford game but these little things like the squad size ultimate caused the most problems.

Moniz didn't seem to know his best side, now Fullarton doesn't seem to understand that changes are actually required.

Moniz was trying to tinker with the squad. He was new to 4th tier football so he was experimenting.

Yes, the Mansfield and Salford games were PR disasters but we weren't going to get relegated.

In hindsight, we should have given him a full season....now look what we've ended up with!

IMO, we need one season, just one, please.....with the same manager.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

The problems we are experiencing aren't a 2015/2016 problem, they've been building up for a while. The constant chopping and changing of direction, the inability to hire a good manager and actually stick with them, the constant backroom changes ('new' Supporters association, getting rid of the Supporters association, new SLO - no SLO, new media team - sack the media team, transfer panel (Guy Branston) etc....), the negative relations with fans through all types of media (constant blaming of the fans), the interfering from the owners and other backroom staff members, it all points to a club in total disarray and a club that was going in only one direction. 

This season has been yet another on the same tangent as before, albeit a tad accelerated. For me, JF isn't the cause of our problems. He's the catalyst for the problems, for sure, but the reaction would've occurred without the catalyst...eventually...

Where has this season gone wrong? Same interfering as alluded to above, signing 2 squads, manager not backed for long enough, and yet again another bad choice of manager in JF. 

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Days Won:  0

Hard to say....I would say the rot set in sometime in the mid/late 90's. We've been treading water ever since and now there's a real fear of actually drowning.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Notts fans have had a steady stream of disappointment since the early 90s.....we are a tough bunch, the 4,000 or so that are left.

Yes we have the occasional highs, the Munto season, cup wins at Wigan and Sunderland.............but the rest has been pure Masochistic torture.

We are used to it.......but appointing JF is just one step too far!

The reaction to Mr and Mrs Trew is an example of this explosion/implosion.....they were "club saviours" but are now being vilified on social media.

All they have to do is sack this latest "gamble" and appoint a proper recognised manager

So, in answer to the question....appointing JF was the moment the season "exploded"....but I agree with @Super_Danny_Allsopp, the seeds were sown a while ago.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

There has been a slow decline over recent years but the final straw was sacking a manager who was producing, high-scoring, entertaining, often-winning football at home and replacing him with one under whom we haven't scored in 360 minutes.

I seriously put this forward as the WORST decision on replacing a manager with another one in the history of football.

This season's home record under Moniz: P12, W7, D2, L3, F24, A18, Pts 23, Points per game 1.92, Goals for per game 2 (only Accy Stan are currently better than this in the whole league)

This season's home record under Fullarton: P4, W0, D1, L3, F0, A5 Pts 1 Points per game 0.25, Goals for per game 0

I've left out the Dryden game.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

There has been no evidence to suggest that Jamie is going to turn things around. To totally abandon the free flowing football of Moniz, to a rigid defensive formation, without any consideration to the creative players dumped on the sidelines. I wish Ray and @erindoors now put up their hands, and say we got this one totally wrong. We all make mistakes but one has to be brave and say, yes we got it wrong. It's like having a toothache, maybe you think the pain will go away... an extraction is needed now!

PS.. I hope I am considered a level-headed poster... but even I have to stand up to say, something is very wrong

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

17 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

PS. I hope I am considered a level-headed poster... but even I have to stand up to say, something is very wrong

I have to agree.  I try to avoid the knee-jerk reaction and I would never have thought I would be calling for a manager's head after so few games, but this situation is causing massive damage to the club with no hope of a happy ending.  Every day it drags on, the gap between club and fans gets a little bit wider.  It's time to admit it was a really bad mistake, let Dryden take over until the end of the season and try and rebuild a few bridges.

Despite agreeing with much of the above, things could have turned out so differently this season.

I wonder what may have happened if Moniz had full control, so his own squad, his own coaching team etc. I've said to people at games, Moniz seemed to be learning about his choices - he may have stuck with tactics but he wasn't afraid to make changes. League Two was a huge gamble for him, however it's more so for Fullarton who hasn't got any experience, limited support (I wouldn't say he doesn't have any) and completely out of his depth.

If it's true about an assistant refusing to come here, why wasn't one appointed when he was? It could have lessened the blow.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

If it's true about an assistant refusing to come here, why wasn't one appointed when he was? It could have lessened the blow.

I feel this could be because the trews knew they were selling up and an assistant and backroom staff would have cost a lot to hire just to sack

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

That embarrassing defeat at Salford.....

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

People talk about teams gaining momentum when things are going well , when the tide turns for the worst and a team gets into a rut who knows where it can go , maybe a couple of wins away on the spin under moniz' and the positive momentum could have built , was always a rollercoaster , but you never know , and for it to go this far wrong really beggars belief .

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Grimsby away was probably when it sunk in with me that we could struggle against well organised teams and this culminated in the panic signings of Sprockel and Audel, rather than sitting back and realising we needed a couple of English stoppers at the back.

The squad was terribly unbalanced, missing two solid centre halves and a decent defensive midfielder. If we had signed those I feel that there wouldn't have been the need for square pegs in round holes and we would have had the chance to compete in the top half. We seemed to sign too many players that were hardly ever going to play and then resorted to Edwards and Smith to try and plug the gaps that were missed in pre season. 24 players Moniz wanted originally to form his squad and that should have been that and the cheque book closed.

I must add though the football was enjoyable, totally end to end, rather than the absolute dirge that we are now having to endure.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Fozzy Agree re Grimsby. Realisation that Bennett wasnt the commanding centre half we were looking for, overshadowed by Gowling's assured performance in the same position by Grimsby.

Archived