new book on Notts

Piethagoram

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,782
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

New book and worthy of sharing

Thanks to all those who have submitted anecdotes and memories of supporting Notts for my book, In the Magpies Nest, over the past 24 hours.
Great stories so far and please keep them coming in. Memories of your first game at Notts, amusing trips to games, special family occasions etc. The list is endless really.
I want the book to be as interactive and engaging as possible - so please have a think and email me at

[email protected]

I'm especially keen to hear from anyone with memories of Jimmy Sirrel's first game in charge for Notts at Workington at Borough Park in the last sixties. What was the day like, the trip up there etc.
I remember myself the many football specials which took a lot of us to all sorts of places in the seventies. All the way to Brighton in the FA Cup only for the game to be call off about 1.30 with us already there.
Might be particular places you always used to stand at the old Meadow Lane. Anecdotes about how you knew players etc...
Am keen that the book covers all generations - young and old across the past 50 years - so any thoughts from more recent times - going to the game at Oldham for instance a couple of seasons ago on the last day.
Keep them coming in. They can be funny, sad.emotive, long and short - it's entirely up to you.
Don't forget you can order the book online

www.nottscounty1862.co.uk

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

so this is not written by the players/people involved but someone who had gotten people to quote things?

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

6 hours ago, liampie said:

so this is not written by the players/people involved but someone who had gotten people to quote things?

I think Paul has interviewed a lot of ex-players and ex-managers already........now he is trying to fill a "supporters section" with their own memories and stories.

"Hope everyone has read today about announcement of my forthcoming new book. Wanted to say thank you to over 100 fans who have already pre-ordered the book inside the first 12 hours.
The book will hopefully be the first of its kind to go behind the scenes with players, managers and chairmen telling their own stories in their own words.
As a lifelong Notts fan like all of us I guess on here, I think it important that we have committed to print the stories and anecdotes of a truly memorable past 50 years from when Jack Dunnett and Jimmy Sirrel changed the face of Meadow Lane.
I'm biased but the co-operation from everyone has been magnificent. I've assembled over 50 hours of interviews with the greats such as Don Masson, Lee Hughes, Howard Wilkinson, Jack Dunnett, Derek Pavis, Tommy Johnson, Brian Stubbs, Neil Warnock, Mick Jones, Trevor Christie, Brian Kilcline and Mark Draper to name but a few.
There are some great, great stories and I've so far written 170,000 of the planned 200,000 words - so hopefully there will be plenty of reading for everyone."

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

i thought it was a collab between the players etc.

• 6 months later...

Even Piethagoram gets a mention... following a Notts game in Finland, homeward bound via Trans Siberian Express

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm looking forward to reading the book, all the snippets I've seen - it should be a very amusing and interesting book.

I have read the chapters on Sirrel and Munto and can vouch this book is a must read for all Notts fans.

Hidden gems on Jimmy's trips to Holland to bring back coaching skills that were practiced at the back of the Kop stand. 

Rickie Lambert being the number 1 striker target, but we got Lee Hughes instead.

It's a pity the book doesn't give JAH's insight into the Trust's fractional relationships and it is sad to read that the Trust members who were marginalised through JAH's action, have been largely lost to Notts County ongoing support. We like to think we all bleed black and white come what may, but the abuse some people received, has not been just limited to our very recent times. Even myself, I was on the receiving end of vitriol for some postings on the Trust message board when questioning the existence of QADBAK, of which one is a current PoN member, though not a regular poster. 

Interesting quote from Trembling in the book...

"I don't blame the new owners for being the knight in shining armour and getting all the fans onside with the way they presented it all. What I would say is that the level of debt was nowhere near the quoted 7.5 million. I would say the debt was 2.5m to 3.0m, absolutely tops 3.5m"

Maybe he misses additional contingent liabilities? We may never know unless @erindoors wishes to pass comment?

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Hopefully most of us learned to take Trembling's utterances with a large pinch of salt years ago. Those of us who haven't are probably busy sharing their bank account details with Nigerian princes.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Can't wait to get the book , should make for a fascinating and comical read , not to mention some insight into the club , the snippets I've seen are brilliant .

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@Riverleeno PUT THE BOOOOOOOOOOOOK DOOOOOOOOOOWWWWNNNNNNN - we need our Riverleeno!!! ;)

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  174
  • Days Won:  2

On 30 October 2016 at 21:35, Piethagoram said:

Interesting quote from Trembling in the book...

"I don't blame the new owners for being the knight in shining armour and getting all the fans onside with the way they presented it all. What I would say is that the level of debt was nowhere near the quoted 7.5 million. I would say the debt was 2.5m to 3.0m, absolutely tops 3.5m"

Maybe he misses additional contingent liabilities? We may never know unless @erindoors wishes to pass comment?

I'd say Trembling was being "inaccurate." Btw, on the issues such as this, we were never consulted or asked to comment (as funders of the debt.) It was actually somewhat over the £7.5 when all things were taken into account. In other respects, sounds an interesting read. COYP

@erindoors go to the club shop and buy a copy..we know the Club needs all the money it can get :frantics:

Archived