Bringing success to Notts County

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,995
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The formula of success on paper looks an easy thing to discuss, getting it right in the real world is another question - but there are certain things which scream major "no, no's" when it comes to bringing success to a football club. Certainly, seeing too many changes leads to instability, but lets discuss how success can be introduced to a club like Notts County.

What would be the top of your priority list in order to achieve this? Name five things in order of importance.

For me,

1) A reputable manager who knows how to apply tactics, find the right players for his system and understand how opposition teams play.
2) Keep the squad size to a number whereby all players can feature, 26 would be about my limit.
3) Sign the better players from the teams around us that struggle - so look at their player of the season, captains, technically grounded players for the division you play.
4) Get fans on side - (good ticket prices, a good feel factor around the ground, half time entertainment etc)
5) Look at ways of bringing in good investment (not a simple thing by no means).

And you??

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

@notts-joe Well put , but for me the top one would be good leadership from the very top , the owner needs to know the role they have is to run the club not the team , have the trust in your manager to manage team matters from top to bottom , player recruitment to squad size to training and tactics , input from top in team matters only on budget , this would take time for that trust to flourish but in time would bring stability and real forward progress,    that what I crave for NCFC 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,909
  • Days Won:  162

you need the right people at the top who are prepared to work and make sure mistakes do not repeat.

you need a manager who is good at the level you play.

you need players who give everything and are able to perform to a good level required for the league they feature.

you have to make sure you respect fans, breeding a togetherness which is bound through loyalty

you have to know which players are worth the bad days and which are not 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

1. As an owner, get the right man to run the club, who has been there, done it and had success.
  2. a knowledgeable manager, who knows what he wants and also knows what the fans want regarding the style of football.
  3. A good scouting network, to find not just current players, but ones that could hopefully make a profit with a bit of nurturing.
  4. Be prepared to lose money every year and don't cut budgets to balance the books.
  5. Most importantly, hope that you are very lucky!

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

There are three simple things to succeed.

Ye gotta score one more goal than the opposition.

Investment in the right area.

Someone who knows how to use the budget to the best if its ability.

The bonus are:

Having a chairman who puts his money where his month is.

Having a board who handle the running if the club but know the football matters are the managers decision.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Fozzy Fozzy has made a crucial point. Point 3, the scouting network... The Trews in a way haven't helped their managerial appointments in the search for the next Eddie Howe. Guy came into his role as a relative novice. He may be very good at analysing opposing teams in preparation for upcoming matches. The question that is unanswered is that how teams like Accrington, Northampton, Oxford, Bury, Rochdale recruitment has been so much better, given Notts's financial resources available? The identifying of potential players for those clubs have been streets ahead of Notts.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

I agree with all of the above!

You must have good leadership throughout the club

You must have a set plan for the future and set realistic goals for every season

Like Joe said the best way to make transfers is by signing from teams around you/bellow you, even the best players from the division bellow, there's no point signing some donkey from the leagues above that has been everywhere

You must must must get the fans on side, like I said, have realistic goals but as long as you keep the fans happy and they see you have a plan then things will go well!

There must be stable investment, you don't need millions, you just need investment in the correct areas

I think that's 5!

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

A gem missed. So whilst Jeremy Balmy and Drissa Traore were recruited from Le Havre, Leicester's Riyad Mahrez who was at Le Havre at the same time, goes on to win PFA player of the year. Sort it out Notts :D

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  3

We have both Jeremy Balmy and Trissa Traore on our books just now. The are both returning from disciplinary action for taking laughing gas and uploading their hilarity on social media. Balmy seems pure junk and Traore flatters to deceive. Both combined have less skill than Nile Ranger but I guess they have just been stupid.

If they were signed on Mark Cooper's recommendation then perhaps you should harbour some doubt.

Hope you do well in the next couple of games and am pleased we will not meet you in the league next year.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

On 25 April 2016 at 15:02, medievalmickey said:

We have both Jeremy Balmy and Trissa Traore on our books just now. The are both returning from disciplinary action for taking laughing gas and uploading their hilarity on social media. Balmy seems pure junk and Traore flatters to deceive. Both combined have less skill than Nile Ranger but I guess they have just been stupid.

If they were signed on Mark Cooper's recommendation then perhaps you should harbour some doubt.

Hope you do well in the next couple of games and am pleased we will not meet you in the league next year.

Balmy has some talent somewhere I'd suggest arsene wenger rated him very highly and wanted to bring him to Arsenal as did Spurs and also Milan so I'd trust wengers judgement maybe he is just idol or hangs in the wrong crowd.

drissa always looked a little to light for me and overrated as for cooper I think Swindon fans should be grateful he didn't have a amazing budget did he and got you to a play off final .

didnt he get you the likes of Nathan Byrne who you made money off 2-3M if I'm correct and my mates a wolves fan and they think he is crap every manager makes mistakes no manager brings in 11 perfect players.

unless you're Barcelona Real Madrid 

For me cooper has a understanding of what we need and don't and if he's backed I feel he will deliver again.

Also Jeremy balmy despite been overrated always seems to find a new club or get trials etc Brighton Leeds were a few and I don't think he ever offered us  anything when I saw him play maybe he is laughing his talent away

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

3 hours ago, Modern Fan 1862 👍 said:

Balmy has some talent somewhere I'd suggest arsene wenger rated him very highly and wanted to bring him to Arsenal as did Spurs and also Milan so I'd trust wengers judgement maybe he is just idol or hangs in the wrong crowd.

drissa always looked a little to light for me and overrated as for cooper I think Swindon fans should be grateful he didn't have a amazing budget did he and got you to a play off final .

didnt he get you the likes of Nathan Byrne who you made money off 2-3M if I'm correct and my mates a wolves fan and they think he is crap every manager makes mistakes no manager brings in 11 perfect players.

unless you're Barcelona Real Madrid 

For me cooper has a understanding of what we need and don't and if he's backed I feel he will deliver again.

Also Jeremy balmy despite been overrated always seems to find a new club or get trials etc Brighton Leeds were a few and I don't think he ever offered us  anything when I saw him play maybe he is laughing his talent away

I'm not being nasty or picky.....you have lots of interesting points, but I have to read many of your posts two or three times to understand them.

You appear to put all your points together in the same sentence?

If you talk, the same as you type....I'm surprised you don't faint from Cerebral Hypoxia.................I almost fainted , just by reading it!

So........my free punctuation service.

I have restructured your post so everyone can read it! (I prefer the use of ellipsis to indicate periods of intentional silence.............like that?)

Here goes:

"Balmy has some talent somewhere, and I'd suggest Arsene Wenger rated him very highly by wanting to bring him to Arsenal.......... as did Spurs, and also Milan.

I'd trust Wenger's judgement, maybe he is just too idle ...............or hangs about in the wrong crowd?

Drissa always looked a little too light-weight for me, and overrated......... as for Cooper, I think Swindon fans should be grateful.......after all, he didn't have an amazing budget, but he got you to a play-off final!

Didn't he get you the likes of Nathan Byrne, who you made a profit from of between £2 to £3 million, if I'm not mistaken?........ and my mate is a Wolves fan, and they think he is crap!

Every manager makes mistakes,................. no manager brings in 11 perfect players, unless you're Barcelona or Real Madrid.

For me, Cooper has an understanding of what we need and don't need................and if he's backed, I feel he will deliver again.

Lastly, Jeremy Balmy, despite been overrated always seems to find a new club or get trials etc......... Brighton and Leeds were just a few, and I don't think he ever offered us anything when I saw him play!

Maybe he is laughing his talent away?"

Not perfect...............but at least I understand it now......don't you agree?

ps............ I'm not doing it ever again, this was a once-only service...........that took me 15 minutes to untangle your original post!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  3

The problem when considering Mark Cooper's performance at Swindon is that it appeared that he had limited say on acquisitions and Luke Williams was first team coach.

Archived