FA Cup 1st Round - Boreham Wood FC (A)

Dripsey3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Boreham Wood are based in Hertfordshire. Their stadium is used by Arsenal reserves and Arsenal ladies. It looks good the times I have seen it on telly. The surface looks fantastic. The ground holds around 4K and it will be full on Sunday as tickets are selling like hot cakes according to the club. 

BW are 9th in the National League. 30 points from 48 is more than decent. They have won 4 of their last 5. They seem to be a difficult side to break down, especially at home. 

As mentioned above, BW have a decent back 5. Joe Devara has league experience from his days at Barnet.

Midfield is their real strength. Conor Clifford who was on loan at Notts, is the midfield general. They also have a guy called Kenny Davis who has an eye for goal. They signed him from Braintree in the Summer. A fine player at this level. They have 2 young players worth keeping an eye on if they start. Bruno Andrade & Anthony Jeffery. Andrade is finding his feet after his move from Woking. He's one Notts will have to keep quiet. Anthony Jeffery is exciting to watch. When he's good, he's very good. 

Morgan Ferrier is their top scorer. 7 goals in 13 games but he has missed their last 3 games through injury. He should be back on Sunday which is bad news for us. If they play 2 up front, Angelo Balanta from Colombia will partner Ferrier. Balanta is not exactly prolific and it depends if he is in the mood or not. 

BW will have an almost full strength squad to pick from on Sunday. They are going well in the league and will be confident on home soil. Notts record in the FA Cup recently is very poor indeed. Given that the league is our top priority and our record away from home recently in the FA Cup, I'm going for a home win. 2-1 to BW. We'd all love a run in the FA Cup so hopefully I'm wrong. 

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,782
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Dripsey3A good write up. Duffy suspended for Notts. I would expect Notts to field a much changed team if the Checkatrade rules refer to fielding the required 5 players from the previous Saturday fixture. Do we play 1 up front, and pack the midfield? Maybe Stanley will get a run out, expect Hewitt in for Duffy maybe.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

I'd be happy with a draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporter+

They like to zip the ball around in midfield. They are very mobile. Notts have to match their tempo and keep the ball for long periods. Break their rhythm.  First goal will be absolutely crucial. 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

We certainly need to soak up any pressure they apply, I think if they do gain chances it will be scruffy attempts and really we should pull together defensively to protect ourselves. Inject a bit of pace into our squad, allow some of the players who have done well coming off the bench - perhaps even start Campbell. We need to be lively upfront, so he can do that job.

This campaign we could do with a good run.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  1

OK i'm all for showing respect for the opposition but let's not go overboard.

I worked briefly at Elstree studios 5 years ago, ( mundane techhie stuff ), which is just down the road from Boreham Wood's ground. They are a tiny club, with an average home gate of around 500. This is there second year in the Conference National and they are exceeding all expectations.

They are actually a much better away side than a home side so beware of a replay!  Notts need to attack them from the start but avoid conceding a soft goal from a set play, as the best side of their game is their defence.  Boreham Wood are capable of defending a 1-0 scoreline for long periods of pressure. Big cliche, but the first goal will be critical.  This is a game for Forte, Collins and Campbell to run at them, put them on the back foot from the off.

COYP and let's put to bed the Salford humiliation !!!

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Totally agree with @eepiegum , respect for sure , its the FA Cup anything can happen , and we remember last season , I agree pace should help , start well get them on the back foot and we'll be ok I'm sure , don't fear the upset be confident , COYP 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  16

Good luck Pies, a definite "banana skin" but one you should get through, especially with your away record. At least you're not on live telly this time.....UTP

• Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

Im afraid their players may want it more than ours, i hope I'm wrong, we must start strong or they will gain confidence, they aren't world beaters so im hoping our quality will see us through

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Yes that's a possibility @ohstanleyaborah the lower league teams do get up for these games , we must also , its a mentality thing , if we do and i hope we do we should be ok COYP

Well done Notts and JS. I mean this sincerely, 2-0 down away at a conference side in any of the previous season would have meant out. A bit of a stronger mentality on and off the field this season.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,782
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I've come away actually looking forward to the replay. What is frightening is that Notts were no better than their level in terms of quality. Ferrier and Andrade could walk into the current Notts squad. Boreham Wood played with some pace and missed a chance to kill the game at 2-1. A lightening break saw 5 versus Hollis and Laing. They contrived to miss but credit to Hollis and Laing positioning to make it difficult.

I think the gap in 'standard' between the conference and division 4 is the smallest it's ever been this year. It's not just Notts who aren't much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  71
  • Days Won:  2

That 5 on 2 was Milsom and Tootle at the back unless there was a second breakaway? And that would be worrying

Supporter+

Notts did well to fight back from 2-0 down. BW played well but Notts showed resilience to fight back. It wouldn't have happened last season, in fact it didn't as Salford beat Notts 2-0. I'd be wary of BW at home. It won't be a stroll in the park. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

Second round draw live on BBC2 at 7pm tonight, Boreham Wood / Notts ball number 22.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

Posh at home if we get through is a decent draw for us. There is a chance that we can beat them and it should be a half decent crowd as they will bring a few.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived