The squad 2017/18

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,447
  • Days Won:  287

July is almost upon us and this is what the squad is looking like so far. I'll update this list as pre-season progresses.

GK:

Adam Collin, Joe Searson-Smithard (youth)

DF:

Matt Tootle, Carl Dickinson, Richard Duffy, Haydn Hollis, Elliot Hewitt, Mike Edwards (player-coach)

MF:

Alan Smith, Michael O'Connor (injured), Rob Milsom, Curtis Thompson, Sam Osborne (youth), Kevin Nolan, Alex Howes (youth), Terry Hawkridge

FW:

Shola Ameobi, Jon Forte, Jon Stead, Lewis Alessandra

That currently leaves us with 13 senior pros excluding injured players and the management team, which is very thin indeed. We need more than 4 new signings looking at that. We know for sure that KN is looking for a defender (Jake Buxton signed for Buxton yesterday) and a midfielder (Liam Noble, which probably won't happen). I'd like to see one, preferably two centre-halves, a left-back to compete with (and preferably replace) Dickinson and alternatives across the midfield.

I get the feeling that we are banking on more talented loanees, but this is a risky game. Jorge Grant and E Bola probably won't be coming back so they'll need to be replaced. I wouldn't mind a young, hungry striker with pace to complement the old hands we currently have there.

I had Alessandra down more as an offensive midfielder, but he's listed as a striker on the OS. It'll certainly be good to have some versatile players on board as the days of massive squads seem to be over.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Anyone know if we are interested or trying to bring in the young  highly rated Chelsea CB who's name evades me at this moment , can anyone add that please ? 

Guest gtownjohnno

Everybody on "mad" are raving about the lack of signings...the players are pro footballers...all this tripe about not enough time to "gel"is a load of tripe.....pre-season is all about blowing away the summer "cobwebs" and sorting out tactics....

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,147
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Most players are released during this weekend so I am expecting more movement after that.

Supposedly according to Alan Hardy we have a medical at 9am tomorrow, which means someone may sign later that day. I'm not concerned, though I am eager to see more quality added to the ranks and the priority right now is the defence and midfield. We need some grit and bulk at the back, someone who isn't a pushover and can defend/mark. In midfield we could do with some creativity, plus I think we could do with a good DM.

Kevin Nolan has plenty of time to make the improvements, we don't need to rush like Mansfield.

Remember I live in Germany where the season starts at the end of July and players are being signed left, right and centre! I thought an overview of our squad was in order and was surprised at how sparse it is. But there's still time. We haven't even started pre-season yet! Plus, many of the better players will be talking to a number of clubs and won't just take the first offer we give them.

Fingers crossed that someone will be unveiled today. AH retweeted a story about Steven Caulker wanting to revive his career, but I couldn't see him dropping below League One.

According to the excellent PON Facebook page we've been linked with Dan Jones, who we had on loan on 09-10 and has been released by Chesterfield. I don't remember seeing him play myself but people seemed impressed with him at the time, his record since then is patchy to say the least though. We need a new left-back and versatility is a bonus.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  323
  • Days Won:  7
  • 𝕏:  twitter @NottsGeezerCal

@DangerousSausage Dan Jones I don't personally remember him but a quick google brings this up (see pic). 

And Smith is player-coach too.

BlQTqrTCYAAJEAS.jpg

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement then. You can take the boy out of Wolverhampton, but you can't take the Wolverhampton out of the boy.

On 30/06/2017 at 12:21, DangerousSausage said:

According to the excellent PON Facebook page we've been linked with Dan Jones, who we had on loan on 09-10 and has been released by Chesterfield. I don't remember seeing him play myself but people seemed impressed with him at the time, his record since then is patchy to say the least though. We need a new left-back and versatility is a bonus.

He did alright, nothing flash but could be a decent addition.

I'm also inclined to give him a chance over what @TheFostarr94 shared as we don't know why he did that. Upon signing Lee Hughes some fans might have had reasonable concerns, yet people chance or there's more to things. We'll see.

I expect Dan to be the signing on Monday.

Shay Given isn't training with Notts, so ignore the fans who seem to spreading this.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,942
  • Days Won:  162

we need more than four permanent signings but some good youths in could fill the gaps.

i also think we need to give our own more of a chance this upcoming season, it would be nice if the first 11 took on the younger set of players we have in a friendly game.

An update. A bit more meagre than I was hoping but still.

GK:

DF:

Matt Tootle, Carl Dickinson, Richard Duffy, Haydn Hollis, Elliot Hewitt, Dan Jones, Mike Edwards (player-coach)

MF:

Alan Smith (player-coach), Michael O'Connor (long-term injured), Rob Milsom, Curtis Thompson, Sam Osborne (youth), Kevin Nolan, Alex Howes (youth), Terry Hawkridge, Lewis Alessandra

FW:

Shola Ameobi, Jon Forte, Jon Stead

We have competition for places at left-back, up front, at right-back and centre midfield at a push and up front and that's yer lot. Just a couple of injuries and that squad will look very thin indeed, although one saving grace is that we've got a number of players who can play in more than one position.

I know there's still some time left and I'm expecting a few loanees and last-minute signings to bulk up the squad. Our current trialists are Callum Saunders (striker, only really been used as a sub at Crewe but still young), Elliot Hodge (midfielder, also young, bench-warmer at Lincoln) and Pierce Bird (defender from Dunkirk, has impressed but has to prove himself against League opposition). I'm encouraged that we are looking for players we can develop but I'm not convinced they're going to get us out of League Two. At the minute I'm a bit concerned that AH and KN's inexperience in the transfer market is biting us on the bum. The big kick-off is in two and a half weeks so I'm expecting movement sooner rather than later.

A week on and we've had some activity. Here's how it's shaping up:

GK:

DF:

Matt Tootle, Carl Dickinson, Richard Duffy, Haydn Hollis, Shaun Brisley, Elliot Hewitt, Dan Jones, Mike Edwards (player-coach)

MF:

Alan Smith (player-coach), Michael O'Connor (long-term injured), Rob Milsom, Curtis Thompson, Sam Osborne (youth), Kevin Nolan, Alex Howes (youth), Terry Hawkridge, Lewis Alessandra, Liam Walker, Jorge Grant (loan)

FW:

Shola Ameobi, Jon Forte, Jon Stead

Squad seems to be in good shape, though I believe Searson is injured and we could probably do with someone to push quicker for first team football. So I would say that we do need a goalkeeper, yet I'm not sure how badly his injury may be. @TheFostarr94 do you know?

Then perhaps just a midfielder who can play on the wing (we'll need cover surely) and another striker.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

The squad is taking shape, if we go by the earlier quotes we will not be signing any further places but I think we need at least another goalkeeper.

A forward at the very least also.

Another goalkeeper is important - if Collin gets injured we'll have to throw Searson in in the deep end. Some competition at centre-half, on the wings (maybe a loanee) and up front wouldn't hurt. Excluding the coaching staff and O'Connor we still have only 16 senior outfield players. We can put out a steady-looking first team but have absolutely no strength in depth. I have no problem with giving the youngsters a chance but we shouldn't be relying on them to make or break our season.

• Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

8 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

Another goalkeeper is important - if Collin gets injured we'll have to throw Searson in in the deep end. Some competition at centre-half, on the wings (maybe a loanee) and up front wouldn't hurt. Excluding the coaching staff and O'Connor we still have only 16 senior outfield players. We can put out a steady-looking first team but have absolutely no strength in depth. I have no problem with giving the youngsters a chance but we shouldn't be relying on them to make or break our season.

If Collin got injured it would be a blessing as it would force the issue.

It's simple, he needs replacing and greater competition will do that. Yet all the trial keepers look "cheap" options and I would be surprised if any actually had good league experience.

Archived