do we hate on our own players?

liampie

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,940
  • Days Won:  162

there is certain players who can never do anything right it seems, haydn hollis, adam collin to name a couple never get much praise. do we hate on our own players?

i think we do and i think its time more people tried to be constructive rather than negative nellies!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  895
  • Days Won:  11

there is certain players who can never do anything right it seems, haydn hollis, adam collin to name a couple never get much praise. do we hate on our own players?
i think we do and i think its time more people tried to be constructive rather than negative nellies!
Hate is a strong word, I dont rate Hollis as a footballer but hate him, never

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,147
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I hear a lot of comments from within the stands expressing hate and/or negative opinions towards certain players, sometimes it starts before they even kick a ball. I recall a fan hurling horrible abuse towards Curtis Thompson a few years ago, it really became unpleasant to witness and I seriously considered relocating from my regular seat (due to being with my eldest two children).

And I think to a degree there is some 'hate' expressed, yet most is just opinions and provided it doesn't become abusive I think fans should dismiss it.

There's nobody within the Notts County squad that I would say I strongly dislike, so provided they give their all for the shirt and try to do the best that they can. There's no bitterness from me remotely.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,468
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I think its just the players who aren't good enough, but I can't say its based on hate. There will be players people don't rate or like, just some are more disliked than others.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

I hear a lot of comments from within the stands expressing hate and/or negative opinions towards certain players, sometimes it starts before they even kick a ball.

Very good point, and that's the bit that concerns me.  I'm convinced that a small number of people decide that a certain player was rubbish even before kick off.  We all have opinions on how good or bad players are, but I always try and keep an open mind and base any match ratings on what I see over the 90 minutes rather than any pre-match thoughts on who should or shouldn't be playing.  Hate is a strong word, but in a football sense I think it does have a milder form.  For example, we might sing about 'hating' rival teams when the reality is just that we don't like them much!      

i think its scary how negative we can be as a fan base and that minority that abuse/hate players makes ml a horrible place to watch football.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,468
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Every club's got fans like this @liampie don't let them ruin your experience.

Think there's always an element of disliking a player, I do feel some players can't do right and even when they perform attract criticism - it seems unfair at times.

Haydn Hollis is the prime example, but he has that attitude to just get on with it.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,447
  • Days Won:  287

Just as people have their favourites for spurious reasons, folk also single out players and give them stick. That's people for you and it has never been any different.

I think when some people make up their mind about a player it's difficult for them to row back on it. I'm keen to see what people's views are on Dan Jones if he turns out to be a good signing. OK, on his debut he looked like he'd been picked out of the crowd at random but some pretty extreme things were said about him on the strength of one match ("release him now!"). I wonder if those people will be able to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong if he comes good after all?

On 15/08/2017 at 08:48, DangerousSausage said:

I wonder if those people will be able to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong if he comes good after all?

Quite possibly it will be forgotten.

Yet I think it's only fair to accept when you are wrong, as fans we can have some bold opinions and other times its more a case of 'feeling' like a player isn't just good enough. It's just important to know when to praise them, I think if Collin continues to improve a minority still won't acknowledge but at the end of the day we need people to have an alternative opinion.

is there really any point to it? i think we are one of the most negative clubs sometimes @Super_Danny_Allsopp

Guest Lozzle1

I'm a 'returning' "Miss Magpie"! Been in London for 40-odd years (still 'supported' from afar) but well remember the heady days of the magical Sirrel/Wheeler years.

Came for the Mansfield game last year and tbh, was quite shocked at how no one appeared to be a. happy to be wearing the team shirts b. had any apparent 'fight' in them to win nor c. took any real or obvious 'pride' in playing for the pies! It just wasn't like the 'old days' where you daren't leave the Lane for fear that Stubbs or Bradd or any of those other great players would snatch another/or the winner as you were on your way out, because - quite frankly - none of them last year looked like they even cared about a loss... or a loss! 

However, I've recently bitten the bullet and got myself a Season Ticket. My grandad (born 1885 and a lifelong supporter) would be so proud I've not 'given up'; and if the first few games are anything to go on, there might just be a little bit of pride (= hope) showing from a few of these new signings/players.

It's easy to 'hate' when i. you've paid hard-earned money - to watch someone who makes the kind of £££'s/wages most folk can only dream of; who then ii. appears not to have the same 'fire-in-the-belly' to win that the fans do/always have and if the criticisms sometimes appear harsh, it's only because no one wants to watch a side that just isn't together or trying or (apparently) bothered!

So here's to all the 'haters'...and every other type of fan too! Being a fan at this club has NEVER been 'easy': not even when we're winning... cos we always want just that little bit m-o-r-e!

But I'm hopeful that with the recent change in ownership; a 'not bad' start to the Season and a few players that look like they actually WANT TO PLAY/DO WELL for the club, we might just, hopefully, be in for some magical happenings at Meadow Lane this Season.

COYP!

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,447
  • Days Won:  287

Great first post @Lozzle1!

I think there's a difference between always urging the players on and wanting more from them, which should be par for the course in football, and people singling out players because their faces don't fit for whatever reason. I think that's what @liampie was getting at.

It's kinda weird, and hard to understand.

Jonathan Forte is a good player, he is the typical lower league player who goes through spells but is someone worth having around. Prior to his recent goals, a lot of fans spoke about him being rubbish etc - all of a sudden he starts scoring and people love him. I know to a degree this is common football, and that fans can be fickle but there's very little consistency. A player doesn't turn bad over night.

This can be applied to Jon Stead who so far hasn't started this season well, but he can improve.

On 22/08/2017 at 10:08, DangerousSausage said:

Great first post @Lozzle1!

I think there's a difference between always urging the players on and wanting more from them, which should be par for the course in football, and people singling out players because their faces don't fit for whatever reason. I think that's what @liampie was getting at.

yeah, certain players cant do right for trying.

its weird how quickly they can go from being a good player to past it etc.

Archived