Best Notts v Mansfield derby you remember?

Joe Jones

As it's 29 years since Notts County claimed their biggest ever win over Mansfield Town (5-0 at Meadow Lane in the League Cup), I thought I'd open up a thread as to the best Nottinghamshire derby you remember.

Were you there on 30 August 1988 for the big win, or if not, what is the best one that you recall seeing/hearing/following?

I recall seeing Notts win Mansfield in the late 90's or early 00's.

I think the score was something like 4-1 or 4-2 to Notts, that said I don't recall who scored. I just remember being entertained, and that I thought Mansfield was going to take the victory (as they took the game to us). Yet looking at the head to head, it can't have been the 90's game, likewise it couldn't have been the League Cup match in 01 (as I've never been to Field Mill).

Could it have been a friendly? :unsure:

I was there for the 5-0 win and its always nice to beat anybody by that scoreline..... but its not my favourite game against Mansfield. For that one we have to go back to 1977-78 and a 3-1 win at Field Mill in the old Division Two. The history books tell me that Ray O'Brien and Arthur Mann scored two of our goals. I can't remember those two goals at all, but I do remember Micky Vinter getting the third.......a delightful run to the right corner of the penalty area before chipping the goalkeeper.   It was Mansfield's one-off season in the 2nd tier, having just been promoted the season before.  We beat them at Meadow Lane too, 1-0 courtesy of another Vinter strike, and they went back down.  

Slim pickings in recent times! The only time I can actually remember watching us beat them 1-0 in 97-98 with Gary Martindale scoring a possibly offside goal. I don't remember them bringing many - we hadn't played them in a long time so the whole rivalry hadn't ignited yet. I'd love to watch 4,000 of them slope off back to Mansfield after we've given them a good thrashing, but it never seems to happen...

16 hours ago, Chris said:

I recall seeing Notts win Mansfield in the late 90's or early 00's.

I think the score was something like 4-1 or 4-2 to Notts, that said I don't recall who scored. I just remember being entertained, and that I thought Mansfield was going to take the victory (as they took the game to us). Yet looking at the head to head, it can't have been the 90's game, likewise it couldn't have been the League Cup match in 01 (as I've never been to Field Mill).

Could it have been a friendly? :unsure:

That's probably when we played them in League One in 2002-3. Billy Deardon was our manager. We drew 2-2 - we fell behind, then mounted a comeback and it looked as though Caskey had won it for us with a brilliant free kick near the end, only for the jammy sods to nick a point at the death. I only actually remember the last five minutes of that one (looked it up on Up The Maggies).

Archived