Ross Fitzsimons or Adam Collin?

Joe Jones

Ross Fitzsimons has performed admirably since taking to the Notts County goal in the absence of the sidelined Adam Collin.

When Collin returns from injury, should he be slotted back in between the sticks for the first team, or should Fitzsimons be kept in the starting XI?

I like what I've seen of Fitzsimons so far, but Collin has been one of the main reasons for our excellent start.  He has done very little wrong, so when he's fit I would recall him and keep him there as long as he performs.  At least it's good to know we appear to have a capable deputy.

We really have to standby Adam Collin.

Also if Fitzsimons was dropped people will naturally ask why other players that have performed well don't get a sniff once the regular returns, yet really I do feel Collin was part of the factor that got us top of the league and the defence are used to his style - it's somewhat shaky with the other keepers. I do rate Fitzsimons but I think we should really need to avoid changing the squads chemistry for the sake of it.

Myself and JJ discussed this in the latest PONcast.

Have a listen folks!

I'd also tend not to want to change the goalkeeper, but at the same time the players all need to be clear that they are picked on merit and not on sentiment or because they're the manager's number one or whatever. If, when Collin is back, the manager still thinks Fitzsimmons (or Pindroch) is the better choice on the basis of his performances then that's just how it goes. No-one should have a guaranteed place in the team.

If a midfielder gets injured and a youngster comes into the side, impresses and makes the position his own, that's the way the cookie crumbles. It happens all the time in football. It shouldn't be any different for a goalkeeper.

Archived