Clapper Poll: Notts County fans say no

Joe Jones

Over Sunday and Monday Alan Hardy ran a poll to determine whether Notts County should put clappers (inflatable tubes which make noise when bashed together, or something) on seats for fans to make noise when they host Oxford City in the FA Cup this weekend.

As with everything Notts-related on Twitter, emotions ran high - you would have thought the very future of the country's political-economic stability was at stake, the way fans discussed it!

who would win.jpg

So in the end, the Black and White Twarmy opted for a NO vote - 56% to 44%.

Alan.JPG

Let's get your post-poll thoughts - would they have been a nice, harmless idea or would they have just looked stupid, a waste of money and potentially used as projectiles (refer to the recent Birmingham derby)?

I don't do Twitter, but it would have been a big NO from me. As Donald Trump would say, it's 'fake noise'. I remember the awful World Cup in South Africa where vuvuzelas killed the atmosphere in the grounds stone dead. It was a constant drone from start to finish which just isn't football. Quiet spells and loud noise are part and parcel of the game, as was shown last Saturday against Colchester. We were pretty quiet in the first half, but as the team picked up the pace in the second the crowd responded - even a throw in in their half would get loud encouragement. Football has always been a bit of a "sing when you're winning" game, we don't need clapping sticks.

I voted no as I remember the air horn thing of years ago which was so damned annoying if you  were sat near one, but can't blame AH for trying to think of something different. If he wants to create a better atmosphere at the ground, chuck the away fans into X block of the County Road stand and let them and the Kop chant at each other for 90 minutes, creating far more noise.

I like the fact AH is catering to us fans, in terms of further improvements and entertainment. However, a clapper is neither. I actually heard 2-3 last Saturday and it sounded annoying/weird.

If you multiplied this at a higher level, well it would be hell.

Why do we need them anyway? If Notts play well the Kop will naturally sing, and the Pavis is quite good at clapping (plus the more frequent moan and groan) - this is football wrapped up right here. Hearing claps throughout the game wouldn't be positive at all in my opinion. Whilst on this subject, did anyone see the @weymouthPIEgate yesterday? I can't believe anyone at the club would react in the manner I read towards someone who travels regularly a lot of bloody miles.

I did @Chris and thought it as a massive overreaction to what I thought as an off the cuff comment by Weymouth, he was asked for an opinion and gave it, so can't see the problem. Do you know if he was an actual Notts employee, or just someone using it as a pseudonym?

I did [mention=1]Chris[/mention] and thought it as a massive overreaction to what I thought as an off the cuff comment by Weymouth, he was asked for an opinion and gave it, so can't see the problem. Do you know if he was an actual Notts employee, or just someone using it as a pseudonym?

I don't know him mate, I believe he's a club official though.

Every former kit person has been, so it would make sense that the same applies here. I honestly think an apology would have corrected things though, but some just dig themselves a ditch by continuing.

Archived