Alan Hardy is a massive fan of Kevin Nolan (we all are, to be honest) and has once again suggested that he is destined for the very top, such as the England job.

While there's no doubting Nolan has worked wonders so far and is a very skilled manager, I want to know your thoughts on:

- Whether it's a bit premature to make a statement like this so early on in Nolan's managerial career

- Whether Nolan would be suited to international football

- Whether Nolan should even consider taking the job, what with all the baggage that comes with managing England

My opinion:

- Perhaps it's a bit premature at this stage, but Nolan definitely is one of the best up-and-coming English managers in the PL and EFL at this stage.

- I think he'd do good, given he's very much in the loop with all matters England, is proving great at working with English/British players and could certainly do good on the pitch and off the pitch (team spirit, camaraderie)

- This is the key point - the England job is a poisoned chalice and I can't think of any manager as far back as I remember (so the 90s) whose stock has actually increased following a stint as England manager. I certainly wouldn't want an Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche to get the job (say if Gareth Southgate leaves after the World Cup) and risk their stock falling - I'd rather them remain hot property and then maybe go for a top six job or even at a top club abroad.

- Whether it's a bit premature to make a statement like this so early on in Nolan's managerial career

I honestly believe Alan Hardy sees the potential in Kevin Nolan, although it is very premature. It sounds great in press conferences and written in the headlines, yet really there's a long way to go. Good managers tend to make good decisions throughout their career, there's no denying that Nolan is doing fantastically well but it's also early within his career in management.

He's going to do well to gain good experience before moving up, so hopefully he will be here long enough to gain that and able to establish us as a League One outfit.

- Whether Nolan would be suited to international football

I see no reason why not, he has the ability to do the basics well and seems to be a good man manager.

It's probably more likely that he would do well in this area, then say being in the hot seat as a team like Chelsea or Manchester United - where ultimately he'd be working with class players who are prone to being problematic at time. How would he deal with Diego Costa?

- Whether Nolan should even consider taking the job, what with all the baggage that comes with managing England

Only incredibly smart or ultimately foolish people reject such chance of managing England, this is something we can't really speculate on.

There's a chance there won't be any baggage when it comes to any sort of chance for Nolan to take the position if in fact he does ever get offered the role. Lastly, this is so far down the road that it's not easy to answer at all. It kinda seems beside the point for me right now.

It's fantastic that Alan Hardy has such faith in his (new-at-the-game) Manager. Equally, Noble's been part of a metamorphic change in the fortunes of NCFC since joining us. 

HOWEVER, there's still - as he constantly says - 'a long way to go before the end of the current season' and I'm far more interested in watching his 'rise' at Meadow Lane and seeing what he can do to get us promotion, at the moment.!

Irrelevant of how well we're doing on a weekly basis, I remain a little concerned that:-

a) our defence looks shambolic at times - and I'm seeing little change from the beginning of the season til now - to alter that fact

b) many opposition wingers still run rings around our players - and I'm seeing little change from the beginning of the season til now - to alter that fact

c) this ball-heading - that actually goes nowhere/to no one in particular - takes up about ten minutes of each game - and I'm seeing little change from the beginning of the season til now - to alter that          fact 

d) Forte, extremely fast and giving 100% each time he's 'allowed' to play (imho) is sidelined, time and again. Alessandro s 'the chosen one' and apart from some 'magic' at Exeter, has little or no impact.      I'm concerned that Forte will 'choose' first-team football and leave us in January - but can we, honestly, 'afford' to lose him? 

My point is, we're Second in the league two. We're playing some good, exciting football. We're winning games and there's a determination in this side that's matching - for me - the Sirrel Years. However - and irrelevant of our current position - we're missing' the likes of a Bradd, Stubbs, Hateley or Masson; and I just don't know if Kevin Noble is aware of this and/or intends to change things in January. Or maybe he thinks he already has this and I'm missing something?

England Manager? Yes!

But he sure has to 'serve' a lot more years sorting-out his 'inheritance' at Meadow Lane, first.

For, only when he's made it a 'legacy' worth someone else taking over, will he have done what is absolutely necessary.

Then - and only then - should he even contemplate, moving on...to anywhere else.

Archived