Match Discussion: Game 24 - The Shrimps (A)

PON_News

Game 24 - The Shrimps (A)

Team: Morecambe

Date: 26/12/17

Where: Globe Arena

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Well if I have got that table in the other topic correct Morecambe win percentage on a BD fixture could mean we are in for a tricky game , so hope the guys have gone easy on the Christmas pudding and mince pies , hoping we have to much for Morecambe and hoping for 3 points , team selection maybe effected from Cambridge game so maybe a tight 1-0 to Notts , COYP 

Well done lads, terrific away performance. I was a bit concerned that we were sitting too deep and inviting them onto us in the first half but I needn't have worried. What's also encouraging is that four goals came from midfield today and Liam Noble will be eligible from the new year. Stead might not be putting them away at present but at least we're not dependent on him for goals.

• Like 1

Brilliant result, I was a bit concerned about our lack of striking power when the team was announced, but four goals away from home doesn't happen too often.  It was good to see some of the fringe players like Jones, Hunt and Walker get a positive 90 minutes under their belt, we will need a strong and competitive  squad going into the second half of the season to meet our target.  Well done to all, especially Kevin Nolan, the changes he made once again came up trumps.

• Like 1

A strange game really. We never seemed to get out of 2nd gear (not that we needed to) and just sort of plodded along in the game and the scoreline seemed like an inevitability by the end. 

A point to note though that Morecambe were especially poor, probably the worst I've seen this season. They can't play like that every week because they've had some decent results against some good sides, but yesterday they were abysmal. Steven Old was rubbish at the back, as he was 10 years ago when I watched him in the A-league. 50p head. His mate didn't help either, it seemed that Stead was allowed to take balls down or win headers with very little resistance, we didn't see him flailing on the floor for most of the game as we usually do. Then to mention the gigantic gap between defence and midfield that they gave us free access to. Jorge Grant and Alessandra had all the space, and their midfield didn't seem to keen is closing it down and their defence definitely weren't about to step up. 

After watching that, you can see 100% we made the correct decision letting Adam Campbell go. It was a typical Campbell performance we saw yesterday, and we've  seen it oh so many times before, lots of running about, some neat touches, but ultimately 0 impact on the game and couldn't finish in a brothel. You have to worry for the lad as if he can't make it at a team like Morecambe, he will drop out of the league. 

Some pleasing things for us were the defending which was generally solid - only a wonder goal prevented a clean sheet. Hewitt, Yates and Walker all looked really clever on the ball. I don't know why we don't try and keep the ball on the ground when we're obviously the technically better side, as we were yesterday. There were some periods of nice play, but some seem scared to make a mistake. You're 3, 4 to none up, away from home and 75 mins on the clock? Get the ball on the deck and spray it about a bit. 

• Like 1