Who is your preferred first choice keeper and why?

TheCalFoster

The first quarter of the season it was fair to say Adam Collin was a much improved goalkeeper than the previous season and then he got injured..

In stepped Ross Fitzsimons who has been excellent in the games he's played and it looks like a great bit of business from Kev.

And then we've got the mysterious Branislav Pindroch who hasn't played many games.

So my question is with all three goalkeepers fit, who would be your choice to play and why? 

My choice would be Fitzsimons as he's been solid in his games so far and it would be unfair to drop him as soon as Collin is fit. 

There was a period whereby Fitzsimons seemed to be a little shaky and suffering from a lack of confidence.

I put this down to not knowing the defence inside or having the communication that Collin may have after building up a lengthy report with our back four. However, I find it hard to replace our current shot-stopper. He's been fantastic and has really come into his element, if anyone listens regularly to the PONcast you will know that myself and JJ have debated this twice.

Only recently has my views changed, yet it's down to the fantastic form that Fitzsimons finds himself in. I think it will be very hard for Collin to steam roll his way back into the mix, yet I think Nolan will present him a chance to forge his return.

Good question and on the face of it, you would think that Fitzsimons would be the selection every time judging by the reviews he gets. The stats are quite close and I think AC has given away fewer goals per game this season (just counting league games) than RF, which surprised me and we went on an amazing run to the top of the table with Collin in goal.

Personally, I prefer Fitzsimons, he looks a really good shot stopper, comes for more crosses (which I like) and even though he misses the odd one, it leads to fewer chances than not coming for any. I also think his distribution is quicker and more accurate, plus he is not scared of playing the sweeper role to get to the ball first.

All that being said, Collin is vastly improved over last season and I won't be surprised to see him back in the side at some stage.

i would give collin the starting position because he did nothing wrong, he became injured and it would be unfair to him to make him sit on the bench waiting for a chance to get back in.

i think it would show if he can better himself further if he was given a chance.

18 hours ago, TheFostarr94 said:

@liampie but vice versa would it not be unfair to drop Fitzsimons who's done nothing wrong since he was given a chance? It's all about taking your chances and that's what Fitzsimons has done, play Collin in the FA Cup game if he's back and see how he does there.

Fitzsimons deserves to be chosen to start in the FA Cup end of debate.

Give Collin a league game.

People may rant on about Steads goal, he was bound to score one decent goal sooner or later but where is the respect for the person that kept us in the game?

@Anti-Red I think you took my comment the wrong way, I would prefer Fitzsimons to play every game. But its all about squad management and we have two very good goalkeepers for league two and for me I'd be more focusing on the league as promotion is the main aim. Yes Fitzsimons was great against Brentford as he has been in most the games he's played so far but if he's going to be dropped for one game I'd rather it was the for the cup than the league, that's not a lack of respect for the guy, if anything it's a compliment on how well he's playing. I don't think Nolan will mess with the team in cup but if he does and Collin comes in fair enough, it's all about keeping everybody happy.

Archived