Another Club Dies...

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

At 11:13 this morning, Hinckley United Football Club was officially pronounced dead. Very sad but not unexpected news, the supporters said their goodbyes on Saturday. Yet another club that was not protected against greedy and incompetent owners. Another club allowed to die without a care in the world for the supporters.

I truly hope they can re-form and start again. There have been many great examples of fan owned clubs working. They had a very nice ground too.

I truly fear for the future of grass roots football. While the rich get richer, the poor continue to get poorer and there's very little light at the end of the tunnel. Hinckley won't be the last club to go to the wall.

Typically, absolutely no coverage on Sky Sports News. They're more interested in talking about £70million players, the very transfer fees which have gone some way to helping destroy the game.

R.I.P Hinckley United. As the motto went: Hinckley United - proud to be average

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,989
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

This is why it's vital for local support, such a sad event. Losing a football club isn't right - Life Long fans are hard to come by and it's the dream of growth. The lower leagues will eventually stall and this progression might perhaps following into the lower leagues of the professional stages.

Proud to be average = respect.

I hope they reform and manage to have some success in the non league(s).

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I echo those thoughts from both posts above. I feel really sorry for their fans but hopefully the Phoenix can rise from the ashes and Hinckley will exist once again in some form or other.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I  also agree with all the above,very sad.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

I feel it for their fans.A real shame.

• Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

Another club gone... its surprising how many clubs have gone in the past few years. Football teams are not really on the same terms as shops... so you wouldn't expect it to go down hill so quick with some of them.

I feel for the fans of the club.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486

Very disappointing & sad news. The fact that our own Dean Thomas has such a long association with the Club makes is even more pertinent for Notts fans for my money.

The lack of media coverage is also a sad reflection on what is happening to football in this country. This is a huge issue all round but it gets filed the "too difficult to handle" cabinet by the authorities and administrators of the game.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

its depressing to read things like this, i cant help but believe football would be better if smarter people took charge of clubs.

• 4 months later...

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Better news now:

New football club to be called Hinckley AFC

17 Jan 2014 08:43

Hinckley AFC was the runaway winner for new club name while the traditional Hinckley footballing colours of red and blue with an away kit of white and violet.

It was standing room only on Wednesday night when Hinckley football fans were asked to decide on the name and colours for a new community club.

Dozens packed into the Clarendon Club on Coventry Road to vote on their favourite with three options each to choose from.

Hinckley AFC was the runaway winner for the outfit’s name while the traditional Hinckley footballing colours of red and blue with an away kit of white and violet.

Russ Abbott, a member of the working group of former Hinckley Utd supporters behind the venture, said: “It was a fantastic turnout. The name Hinckley AFC won by a country mile against the others, Hinckley Phoenix and Hinckley Nomads and red and blue were easily the most popular colours.â€

Next steps for the newly christened Hinckley AFC are for working group members to meet again with Supporters Direct - an organisation that supports community trust football clubs - and for the constitution to be finalised and approved.

A notice of intent to play in the 2014/15 season has already been put in to the Football Association although a home ground is yet to be unveiled.

www.hinckleyafc.org.uk

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,989
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Great news!

Yet, I still find it saddening seeing clubs popping up with AFC (which I don't get why you would want the "A" in). That's just me though, it's good they have reformed and hopefully things will be better this time around.

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Great news!

Yet, I still find it saddening seeing clubs popping up with AFC (which I don't get why you would want the "A" in). That's just me though, it's good they have reformed and hopefully things will be better this time around.

The FA require a distinctly different name from previous incarnations is probably the reason,

Maybe it's to show it's a 'soccer' club. Hull FC, for example, play rugby league. It's also plausible that Hinckley FC as a name is owned by someone already.

On the subject of RL, belting game at Headingley tonight.

It's nice to read some good news.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

Great news about Hinckley AFC. Let's hope this is the way forward for Grass Roots football in England. Honestly i think Football is rotting from the inside out. From FIFA down, it's getting beyond a Joke. 

Did you see how many Dives happened in the Champions league this week. 

Great news about Hinckley AFC. Let's hope this is the way forward for Grass Roots football in England. Honestly i think Football is rotting from the inside out. From FIFA down, it's getting beyond a Joke. 

Did you see how many Dives happened in the Champions league this week. 

Oh @Canadian,don't start the old grump off again.He's always moaning about something or other football related.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I'll just say this-Referees come in for a lot of criticism and their decisions are mercilessly scrutinised on TV but surprisingly most decisions are correct It's  an extremely difficult  job to referee nowadays with the game being so fast.My main gripe is the players themselves.It won't happen, but it would be nice to see a bit of honesty from players and managers.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  173
  • Days Won:  2

The FA require a distinctly different name from previous incarnations is probably the reason,

Maybe it's to show it's a 'soccer' club. Hull FC, for example, play rugby league. It's also plausible that Hinckley FC as a name is owned by someone already.

On the subject of RL, belting game at Headingley tonight.

Hinckley SC? Soccer?

Archived