Notts County Braced For Battle Over Loan Duo

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Notts County are braced for a battle over Callum McGregor and Jack Grealish.

The Magpies are eager to keep the two youngsters until the end of the season.

But they are almost certain to face competition from bigger clubs when their current loan deals at Meadow Lane end next month.

McGregor has been a big hit since joining Notts on loan from Celtic and is their leading scorer with eight goals, while Grealish has also shone in League One on loan from Aston Villa.

Magpies' boss Shaun Derry says he is encouraged by talks with Celtic boss Neil Lennon and Villa manager Paul Lambert about extending their loans until May.

But he is also making contingency plans just in case they end up leaving.

"I feel that Jack has really produced in the last two games and we all know where this club would be without McGregor," said Derry. "I'm having conversations all the time with their managers so you're hopeful.

"But you always understand that if they do produce unbelievable performances then the bigger clubs are going to come knocking.

"You have to make plans for that eventuality if that was to happen and that's what I'm doing."

McGregor and Grealish have both told Derry they are enjoying life at Notts, despite them being bottom of the table.

And he hopes that counts for a lot when their next moves are decided.

"They are on loan to get game time and we're giving them that and they're producing performances," said Derry.

"I've had chats with them and they're enjoying their football and if you are doing that you want to stay where you are. I'm hopeful that's the case with the guys.

"I'm sure they'll have a say on their future and you'd hope the clubs wouldn't push them to somewhere they don't want to be."

"I'm hopeful that come the end of the loan their managers will say 'did you enjoy it, would you like to go back to Notts County?' And I'm hopeful they will both say yes."

Credit to Nottingham Post website.

This must be a done deal, we have the advantage of already having them so we could tie this up. We need to convince the parent clubs that we're helping them develop as players and giving time - I am convinced if we sell the positives and get the players to add their two cents, we will see this play out until end of the season with us.

Only problem I see is if we leave it too late and attempt to tie things up similar to as we did with Montano...

We allowed him to go back thinking we could re-sign him if we required him, when that came in... We battled against other sides and lost out, only to bring him back and the spark he had was lost.

Thoughts?

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

The problem I see Joe is that the parent clubs in both cases, may want to see them have some time at the next level up.

Would a championship club look for either? I honestly do not know, but if I were manager of Celtic or Villa, and the chance was there to see how my lad was able to cope and or perform at the next level would be a key step in his development.

If they form any part of the plans for either team then this must happen at some point, hopefully not just now for both. I feel we could cope with losing one of them, (preferably Grealish), but not both of them.

As a coach I personally wouldn't want to rush them, neither have had the level of league experience we provide or offer. I see the point, although I'd be surprised if Grealish attracted a Championship team whom could offer him decent game time. McGregor is a different class, he's proved himself to be a massive asset and some might perhaps gamble on him.

However, one good stint doesn't prove a player and they should really progress with their existing development.

I'm not saying this because I don't want to lose them, or because I am biased. I just feel that they need stability as much as we do, a young player thrives on the good performances and being wanted. They risk losing this and hampering their progress imo :)

• Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

Grealish hasn't impressed me until today. I missed the Tranmere game, when he was, supposedly, excellent. Today, despite overdoing it at times, he showed quality on the ball and the goal was top drawer. Absolutely classic stuff, floated round 4 blokes as if they weren't there and rifled an angles drive into the roof of the net. "Schermazing".

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Rams have the same problem with Wisdom,,Dawkins and possibly Keane.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I really really hope we can keep hold of these two, they are the best two players in the team at the moment and if we lose them I daren't think about the consequences. It is going to be a hard battle to avoid relegation as it is but if we lose these two it will be very hard to find adequate replacements.

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

While both of these players appear to have been key to our limited success so far. The upturn in commitment, effort and now the results, may just help us along the road to safety. I still think we could cope with losing one, and i would want us to keep trying with our own youngsters before going for more loanees.

How will Grealish respond now he's scored? This is the only part of his game which as been missing, now one goal doesn't suggest he's suddenly on par with Messi but it might encourage him to try harder to place his shots. He's slowly moved a way from shooting, as every effort never really trouble the keeper. I would assume if he can find the net more, my comment about Championship sides being interested would become void.

He runs his socks off, as does McGregor who is very exciting to watch.

Hopefully we can achieve them on long term deals but I'd loan some of ours out, surely League Two teams would snap up the chance to get some young blood.

• 4 weeks later...

• Content Count:  68
  • Days Won:  0

Credit to Nottingham Post website.

This must be a done deal, we have the advantage of already having them so we could tie this up. We need to convince the parent clubs that we're helping them develop as players and giving time - I am convinced if we sell the positives and get the players to add their two cents, we will see this play out until end of the season with us.

Only problem I see is if we leave it too late and attempt to tie things up similar to as we did with Montano...

We allowed him to go back thinking we could re-sign him if we required him, when that came in... We battled against other sides and lost out, only to bring him back and the spark he had was lost.

Thoughts?

Joe, the Montano thing was different.  At the time, after an injury, West Ham wanted him to experience football in both the lower leagues.  He went to Swindon and then Oxford, was it? Or the other way round.  I remember Di Canio wasn't impressed.  He was told that if he applied himself and got game time then he could come back to us for a spell at the end of the season, if he wanted to, which he did.

Of course, in the meantime we sacked MA and replaced him with KC and he didn't rate him, so the rest was history.  He was REALLY not happy about it!

I know this because he told me himself on a Twitter message.  Don't ask me why he messaged me because I don't know!

There's some rumours going around on Celtic sites, a good friend of mine who works closely with the football team mentioned a possibility to me but I don't think it's likely that we will be seeing McGregor in a Notts shirt.

It would be some miracle, usually it's better to wrap things up before the player returns to his parent club.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

There's some rumours going around on Celtic sites, a good friend of mine who works closely with the football team mentioned a possibility to me but I don't think it's likely that we will be seeing McGregor in a Notts shirt.

It would be some miracle, usually it's better to wrap things up before the player returns to his parent club.

if tonys posts and news is anything to go by, this might not be right! coyp!!

Archived