Euro 96

KB1862

Anyone else watching Euro 96 relived on ITV? 

I was only 3 years old when the tournament happened, so wouldn't be able to remember much about it. Although, I do know bits about what happened. 

Caught the first game between England and Switzerland on Monday. Currently watching the Netherlands v Scotland game. 

Obviously I'm not watching it, but I remember it very well. There was a lot of pessimism before the tournament, followed by elation when we took the Netherlands apart. We properly rode our luck against Spain (who had long had a reputation of choking in the first knock-out round) in the quarter-finals, and if we'd gone out then it probably wouldn't be so fondly remembered today. Then came the semi-final and Germany, of course.

Fun fact: the scorer of the tournament's winning goal had played against Notts in the Anglo-Italian Cup only a few years before.

@DangerousSausage it's enjoyable to watch. The tackles flying in and everyone getting on with the game. Some throwback talents on show. Our game against the Swiss we were lucky to get a draw tbf. But like I say having only heard stories and watching few documentaries it's nice to see the games unfold live. 

Not looking forward to seeing the Germany game though. 

@KB1862 You only realise how much football has changed when you look back. The Germany match was epic, but will probably be a bit less painful as you already know what happens! I was convinced we'd win, and have never been as gutted after an international match as after that one. Notts had fluffed the play-off final a month previously too, so it was a disappointing summer all round!

@DangerousSausage you're not wrong, I love revisiting old games because football was brilliant back then and you get some good throwback. 

It's always gonna be painful losing to the Germans lol.

Most looking forward to the Holland game though, when I think to euro 96 it's always that game described as a 'masterclass' England performance so looking forward to that. 

Supporter+

Ireland missed out on Euro 96 after losing to the Netherlands in a playoff. I still watched the tournament, I was supporting our Celtic neighbours to the North, Scotland. I can still picture Gazza's goal against Scotland. Genius. At least the Scots finished the tournament on a high, beating the Swiss 1-0. 

Who would have thought the Czechs would have got to the final. They lost their opening group game and needed a 88th minute goal to draw 3-3 with the Russian which took them through on head to head over Italy. 

Would England have beaten Czech Republic? I think they would have. Those pesky Germans again!

• 1 month later...

Archived