Shaun Derry : The Magpie Circle podcast

Piethagoram

I've listened to the 2nd one first..... again a really good insightful interview by @TheMagpieCircle

Here is my take, reading between the lines:

1) Recruitment: Brano's appointment an absolute disaster waiting to happen ( had he been a head of recruitment elsewhere?..no, I think is the answer)

2) Recruitment : Derry seemingly signed players on "other peoples" recommendations, without ever seeing them play. Jimmy Sirrel did the leg work, travelling up to Scotland midweek to see games... I never got that impression that Shaun put in the miles? he mentioned Greg Abbotts in depth knowledge of L1, L2, Conference...so why did we end up signing the likes of Hayhurst, Wroe, Santos on loan....  It just doesn't hang well together. Bajner being a case on point, signed up on the basis of a call from his agent

3) Budget cuts.... I think people are missing the flip side to this equation. The Trews, probably still had the financial legacy of the Munto fiasco to continually to sort out. Also, maybe, writing without any knowledge...did the Trews have the necessary "dosh" coming in to finance the budgets...hence the cuts being made. I recall Chris Kiwomya saying his budget had been cut by a third...so this was ongoing...

• Piethagoram changed the title to Shaun Derry : The Magpie Circle podcast
7 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

1) Recruitment: Brano's appointment an absolute disaster waiting to happen ( had he been a head of recruitment elsewhere?..no, I think is the answer)

We know his appointment was more of a 'hire a friend' type thing by the board.

He has no business in football, I used to think he was unfairly singled out at times but reading his tweets (in the past) I have realized he's absolutely clueless.

2) Recruitment : Derry seemingly signed players on "other peoples" recommendations, without ever seeing them play. Jimmy Sirrel did the leg work, travelling up to Scotland midweek to see games... I never got that impression that Shaun put in the miles? he mentioned Greg Abbotts in depth knowledge of L1, L2, Conference...so why did we end up signing the likes of Hayhurst, Wroe, Santos on loan....  It just doesn't hang well together. Bajner being a case on point, signed up on the basis of a call from his agent

I think there was a lot of gambling done in this era of our recruitment.

Will Hayhurst if I recall right had broken his leg, which ruined his progress with Coventry. It could've paid off, as players can still come good but this never happened to him. Santos was a panic signing for me, we lacked pace and I think we thought the rest would come if he had regular game time.

3) Budget cuts.... I think people are missing the flip side to this equation. The Trews, probably still had the financial legacy of the Munto fiasco to continually to sort out. Also, maybe, writing without any knowledge...did the Trews have the necessary "dosh" coming in to finance the budgets...hence the cuts being made. I recall Chris Kiwomya saying his budget had been cut by a third...so this was ongoing...

Undoubtedly there were issues with past debt, not just from the Munto season.

The appointment of Chris Kiwomya for me would be the Trews biggest mistake, we should've tried to go for experience and someone who could slowly integrate young players into the squad. Did he have the knowledge to be a manager at first-team level?

No doubt he's a good coach but as we have seen since, this stint as our manager has ruined his career somewhat.

That's the saddest thing, but it's repeated with other appoints. Notts has ruined certain people, simply because they did not have the depth in knowledge which they had been placed into. Some fans can complain Alan Hardy sent Notts down to the National League but the hiring/firing of the Trew era is massively at fault for the decline in the club. The stability rug was pulled right under the clubs feet and, only in hindsight are fans now saying Keith Curle should've remained as Notts manager.

I think in football there're costs you can't skimp on, managers and playing budget, recruitment was fundermentally flawed during this era in my opinion.

@Chris "only in hindsight are fans now saying Keith Curle should've remained as Notts manager."

I have thought a lot about this... So if Kiwomya had been asked to cut his budget by a third, Curle must have been operating on a perceived relatively "massive" budget then. Perhaps then he under achieved on the money made available?

I don't think so, budgets aren't what wins teams promotions.

Yes, they can help get better players in but really the issue back then was stability. I was never one of the fans who wanted Keith Curle out, I thought there was a level of steady progress that had been made. The "we play boring football away from home" just seemed a clueless excuse because we wouldn't have finished as high as we did unless we had a decent level of form on the road.

I would also class him as somewhat inexperienced when appointed by us.

Plus he had been out of management for a while after he departed Torquay United. I mean, there's a case to be made did he overachieve with us?

7th was our best League One finish for years.

The following season Notts finished 12th, the 20th then being relegated the season after that.

Given longer, he might have been the person to steady the ship. I mean, who in their right mind sets a target of promotion after finishing 19th the following season? Notts should've been thinking... Okay, we'll finish 7th, next season aim for 5th [judge a lower position based on results].

Instead, we never looked at a pathway to progress further.

Just signing hyped players and, glossing over things in my opinion. Blaming the fans, sacking managers and just creating a sink shipping which seemed impossible to keep afloat. That's why I feel if we finish higher this season than last, we need to find faith in Neal Ardley to improve further the next. That is a sign of stability which we haven't had at any stage during the years of my support.

Archived