Match Discussion: Game 28 - The Spireites (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,282
  • Days Won:  80

Game 28 - The Spireites (A)

Team: Chesterfield

Date: 21/01/2023

Where: Technique Stadium

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  368
  • Days Won:  1

This game seems to me to be 1 that means...... Avoid defeat at all cost... Wrexham away is a similar game... 

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Yeah, this is one we need to avoid defeat. Ideally, we'll control the game and get a good result, but that is wishful thinking.

It's going to be a lot harder than that.

Two aspects of the players I would like to see are a] them fired up and b] awareness of the opposition. If we can use the midfield well, I am confident chances will come and at this point I really would like to see Langstaff get on the scoresheet. Then again, it doesn't matter who scores for us - I just want to see Langstaff's name pop-up. :D

If defensively a solid performance can be put in, I'll be happy even if the outcome is a draw.

• Like 2

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,301
  • Days Won:  69

Looking forward to watching the game with @GrannyPie on BT Sport, hopefully after a win by Derbyshire's senior team.

17 hours ago, super_ram said:

Looking forward to watching the game with @GrannyPie on BT Sport, hopefully after a win by Derbyshire's senior team.

Well we were looking forward to watching but thanks to the weather we can't now.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Following the failure of Chesterfield's crowdfunded pitch covers to keep the game on, this one's been rearranged for 11 February, which is at least a Saturday. Let us be grateful for small mercies.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  895
  • Days Won:  11

Isn't the 17th subject to league authorisation

• 3 weeks later...

50/50 in regard to looking forward to this because there's so many excuses and reasons for people to become disgruntled about it.

I do feel Chesterfield went out of their way to postpone the original game, although that's happened now. Nothing will change that. The suspension of Ruben will be a loss, however it will give someone else the chance to come in, and really we should be okay. The fixture has the ability to be a high point, where we reflect on the promotion chase in future years. Or, it could become the reason why fans feel things started to become unglued.

Personally, I think we'll be fine.

Allow Jim O'Brien to come in for Ruben or perhaps let Jodi Jones play in the role - he did it for Coventry quite well in the past.

Key thing is to take the approach of any regular game, forget that it's a derby day - this just leads to nerves in my opinion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

Although we are missing Ruben, this might have worked in our favour. We've had a few extra days rest, Chesterfield were stuffed last night by Woking and are now in a horrible run of form.

Chesterfield could not cope with the Woking high press. We also like to press the opposition, so I'm hoping that they will struggle with ours as well. Play JOB instead of Bostock and bring Jones in for Ruben, press them high and then look to bring Scott and Bostock on for the last 20-25 minutes to consolidate (hopefully when we're 2 up!).

• Like 1

I'm feeling a bit less nervous about this one than I was last month due to Chesterfield's form, but they're still near the top for a reason and we have no room for error.

It's a shame about Rodders, but this'll be the chance for someone else to come in, shine and cause the home team a different set of problems.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

i would hate to feel the pressure leading into the game.

it should be on chesterfield as they could be doing better themselves at times. its just with them being at home and our current form, i fear they might be the team to break it. i know fans will say this is a must win game but i would take the draw.

i am hoping notts just works hard at creating chances.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

Really looking forward to this one. Two massive teams at this level going head to head in a huge game for both sides. At this point of the season every game is huge in our campaign for promotion and I don't think this is going to be a game where we slip up. Chesterfield coming into the game with 3 defeats in a row. On the other hand notts in great form. 21 games unbeaten is truly remarkable. Luke Williams has got not just mine but the whole fanbases backing. There hasn't been many times where he has got it wrong this season, against the big teams he really knows how to get the job done. #in Williams we believe. #Coyp

• Like 3

Looking forward  to watching on BT with @GrannyPie weather permitting! Hopefully no sudden deep freeze ,cloudburst,  hurricane or any other reason for a postponement!

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  382
  • Days Won:  8

Trying hard to tell myself it's not a must win, but the way Wrexham are playing, as said by others, there isn't much room for errors

• Like 1

Welcome @callum2569! The stats speak a clear language, but the form book can get thrown away in a (kind of) derby in front of a full house. It'll be a big match atmosphere and the home side have a new striker from Dagenham who'll be keen to impress. But if you're good enough for promotion, you've got to overcome situations like that.

This is a really big few days, with today's match and in-form Barnet visiting on Tuesday and Wrexham hosting Woking. There's every chance points will be dropped at the top of the table. Hopefully we'll get the job done and Wrexham will be the ones to slip up. COYP!

I didn't get to watch the game, other things came up, but I caught the goals.

Langstaff's works his magic for the first goal, I thought theirs was a bit easy. It sounded like they had thrown everything at Notts and put the pressure full on. The amount of bodies, I'm not sure if it could've been dealt with better [other than beating their man]. Chicksen is surreal, different class under Williams. What a vital and convincing win!

I'm looking forward to seeing their red card. :D 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Another win, and it’s a big one, arguably our toughest away game given the rivalry.

Attack wise I thought we played ok, we just didn’t really work the ball through the midfield quick enough to beat the Chesterfield press and we struggled to find those pockets of space that we usually do. Macca's goal was great though, that touch was absolute quality! But that corner a side, we defended very well, Slocombe wasn’t really troubled. Yes we sat quite deep at times but Chesterfield really struggled to find any space and Rawlo, Baldwin and Cameron defended our box terrifically.

A note for Dobra, if you dish out, you’ve got to take it. Made me laugh at the time when he was nudged in the back he threw himself to the floor and their physio’s were holding his head like he’d been flung through a car-windscreen.

Very gritty win, sheer character and determination got us through. This is about the hardest fixture you can have in this division, and if Chesterfield had played the whole match with the focus and discipline they showed after we scored our winner, they may well have got something from this game. Hopefully they can throw a spanner in the works against our friends from north Wales.

Dobra is a cheat and should be ashamed of himself.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

i bet they feel silly for postponing the game because of their injuries/suspensions and manager being side lined. it was never to do with the pitch in my opinion. if they have frost covers they did a lousy job of protecting it.

it just makes this victory all that more sweeter.

the players did well, i liked seeing them acknowledge the fans when we scored or needed their vocal support more. 12th man!