The best and worst away trips Notts County fans have experienced?

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Notts County are the oldest professional football club in the world, but they are also one of the smallest in terms of fan base. The Magpies have struggled to compete with bigger and more successful clubs in the region, such as Nottingham Forest and Derby County, and have seen their attendances decline over the years. They have also failed to appeal to younger generations, who may prefer to follow Premier League or European teams instead.

In this forum post, we want to discuss how Notts County can attract more young fans and grow their fan base. What can the club do to make themselves more relevant and attractive to the youth? How can they increase their exposure and reach in the media and online? How can they foster a sense of loyalty and identity among their fans? What are some initiatives or campaigns that Notts County can launch to attract more young fans?

Share your ideas and suggestions with us and let’s help Notts County grow.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

i have not had a bad experience so far, but i want to do 15 of the away games this season, which i am sure one or two will be a little poor in terms of travel. i am prepared and will accept it when it does happen, its out of my hands.😁

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I attended a game where we were 10 minutes from the ground, having spent 3 hours on a coach only for the game to be called off. I want to say Swindon, but I think it wasn't them. I felt incredibly annoyed because it was snowing badly in Nottingham, but tickets and travel had all been paid for.

Whoever it was, they did a Dover on us.

Pitch is fine; weather conditions aren't as bad. Pitch inspection was like 1:30pm which supposedly passed. Then at the very end it was called off. I believe I am correct, as a fan mentioned a story about a lonely tree and the stupid roundabout that occurs as you enter. I know some Notts fans had managed to get inside the ground and said the pitch looked fine. This made me very choose when it came to attending games that could be cancelled.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

Best trip is easy and would be the second Wembley visit to regain our place in the top flight back in 1991.

Worst is a difficult one, and I would probably go with the day that we drove all the way to Wigan, sat down in  the pub enjoying a pint when somebody came in to say that the game was abandoned as the pitch wasn’t fit. The drive homemade us feel a lot better though, as it was the day that Forest were beaten by United 8-1 at the City Ground. Will always remember Martin Fisher on the radio begging the referee to stop the game after the last goal went it.

• Love 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Best - Dover, April 26th 2022. Won 3-0. It wasn't the game itself that made it memorable, but the coach journey there and back. Never laughed so much on an away day before. Rocking into Cambridge services at 1am. Surround yourself with good people and you get these days.

Worst - Oldham, January 1st 2019. Lost 2-0 and cold. Very cold. Antarctic levels of cold at the coldest stadium in the country, in a miserable season for Notts. Oldham score a cross-shot. I missed Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain getting sent off. I thought he was being subbed off 😂😂. One of the worst experiences I've been through.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

@TheSkipper the text of your post and the title don't match up. I'll respond to the title - the rest is a MUCH longer discussion!

I don't travel away often, but the best was probably at Lincoln in early 1998. We were gunning for our ninth consecutive win and were really starting to pull away from our rivals, so we took a strong following - about half of the crowd was made up of Notts fans and the atmosphere was great. Sincil Bank is a great little ground too. We won 5-3 after going 3-0 up and then letting Lincoln come back and equalise early in the second half, just to keep things interesting.

The worst (Wembley 1996 apart) was a trip to Cheltenham in about 2006, it was Gudjon Thordarson's only season in charge, we were plummeting down the table and couldn't buy a win. Cue a spineless 3-0 defeat setting up a final day showdown against Bury. Luckily we stayed up thanks to results elsewhere, but that day I thought we were going down. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

I'm not sure what my best is but my worst is away game is definitely Swindon due to relegation obviously but we are back up now.