Man United Goalkeeping Situation

KB1862

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

I find this horrible on Man Uniteds part. He has a chance of being a first team goalkeeper for a newly promoted Premier League team but instead United are keeping him at the club where he'll most likely being sat on the bench for 95% of the time. 

The De Gea situation is up in the air at the time of writing this but they're also looking at replacements for him. One of 2 things is going to happen. Either De Gea signs a new contract with lower wages to keep him there or they sign a new GK due to De Gea leaving on a free. Either way I can't see Heaton getting a sniff at proper first team football like he would at Luton. 

He'll probably get a handful of games but that's about it. 

It also shows the loopholes in the homegrown rule the Premier League have implemented. 

• Like 6

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

man united turns everything into a big deal, de gea is not as good as people say. they should have got rid of him years ago, oddly when united were poor. he was one of the best things about them but they dont sell players who want out. they hold onto them for whatever reason.

• Like 3

@liampie see I disagree with that. When United needed De Gea the most, he was there for them. The amount of games he's kept them with tremendous saves. But, he is prone to a mistake quite often. More than he should. I wouldn't say he's world class but I wouldn't say he's as bad as people make him out to be. Just needs to cut out the mistakes. 

40 minutes ago, liampie said:

they dont sell players who want out. they hold onto them for whatever reason.

Never understood this either. If a player wants out let them go. Fergie never had an issue with getting rid of players irrelevant of how good or important they were for the club. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

De Gea is vastly overrated; he's like Harry Maquire - he can do well but often makes comical errors. I don't think in the last few seasons he's cut it out of his game quite a bit but whilst he's at United, he won't play much for Spain. He really could benefit from a fresh start.

• Like 2

@Chris never understood why Spain never called him up if I'm honest. The only thing I will say about him is that he uses his feet to much when it comes to saving. He's slowly cut that out of his game and does it less often but it bugs me when keepers use feet instead of hands in certain situations. If he can cut the mistakes out, he'd be up there with the best. 

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I can’t say that I’m aware of United’s goalkeeper issue. However, I think I would chime in that David De Gea would find his career more on track away from the club. They are no longer the club they used to be in the 90s, and I do feel they need to shake things up to be able to challenge for the title.

Instead of spending large sums, they could sell some of the players who can be replaced and strengthen their bench.

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Manchester United should clear out a lot of the players and rebuild properly. They have rushed signings, and I think for them to rival City, Liverpool, and Arsenal, they need to find players who can reconnect with their fan base. I am not suggesting all, but David De Gea is certainly one of them that needs a fresh challenge.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Doubt Utd will reconnect with their fan base until the Glazers are finally out of the club. 
I’ve seen reports that United have bid for Onana, who I think is a pretty average keeper. De Gea’s performances have dropped off the last 2 to 3 years,  before that he was their  player of the year for several seasons running and fully deserved it at the time.  The issue now is that he’s not the best with his feet, which  Ten Hag needs for his style of play. Time for him to walk away and sign for a club that actually wants him?

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  373
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, United needs new owners for things to change, but their fans have always been the fickle type that only cares about winning. I do think they have some awful owners, but not as bad as many other clubs. They are willing to invest, and someone might say they have to do this because they’ll lose money when or if they do sell, but Manchester United will always be sellable to a rich investor provided they are in the upper half of the Premier League.