Any recommendations for computer printers

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,770
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Looking for cheap to run re ink costs , double sided printing, scanning

Would this seem a good deal?

https://www.johnlewis.com/brother-mfc-j5345dw-wireless-all-in-one-colour-inkjet-printer-fax-machine-with-a3-printing-white/p6435218

Epson Eco tank seems to be OK but I have been put off by some reviews of complications in the setting up

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

It’s a big old unit, but pretty quick (can it play at centre half? 😀).

It will print in A3, but you have to swap the paper over as it only has one tray, and because it can print A3 it will need a fair bit of physical space to house it. Only scans at A4 though it seems. Cartridges look expensive as well at about 60-£70 for a full set, although they are individual inks which I like as less wastage.

To me it looks decent, but the size and cost of ink puts me off. I’ve looked at the Eco Tanks but they don’t do duplex copying, fine for everything else though and much cheaper ink  and build quality is always a little flimsy on Epsons.

• Like 5

Thanks for that @Fozzy Really appreciate.

"It’s a big old unit, but pretty quick (can it play at centre half?" ... probably better at defending corners, brother:rollonfloorlaughing:

• Haha 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@cheeky~k8 tends to find some great bargains; she got our current printer for £30. We only need a basic one, but it beats the last we paid 5x as much for.

One thing to note about ink, sometimes they're cheaper alternatives which are just as good in terms of quality of the ink and the amount of pages you should expect needs to be taken into consideration. Printers aren't something I tend to be interested in, so I wouldn't know what to recommend but I will ask Kate to check this topic out.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

i asked in the office for you @Piethagoram, i have been told to recommend the hp envy inspire 7220e and brother dcp-j1200w..

im not sure if they reach all of your specifications, but worth mentioning. :)  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

Ive used epson and cannon ones in the past. We had an HP one given to us once which was meant to be good but we had no end of issues and it wouldnt print because it said i needed to join HP instant ink, which is a monthly cost to get ink from HP. I could alternatively buy new ink but it was between £60-100 for one standard set. It seems most HP printers have the same issue which would mean its only worth it if you print things on a regular basis or don't mind the high cost ink.

Our old Epson was was good and we were able to use immitation ink if we wanted to without losing quality because the branded ink used to be £20 then went to £40.

Recently we bought a Canon printer which is fine for our use as it has branded ink cheap and the printing quality is good but only has basic features which is fine for us(no wifi etc)... other canon printers do have more features.

When you find a printer you like, look into how much the ink costs and if its individual colours or black and colour blocks. Look into if you can use immitation ink in it and what other features it has that you need(some you may end up paying for but never use). Also if you have to sign up to an ink service to use it.

Personally i would avoid HP because of the HP instant ink service and high cost ink. Brother printers are meant to be good, i haven't used them so i don't know the long term cost though.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It looks like a good machine, if the ink is used completely before it’s empty, and it doesn’t cost you the earth to buy the ink. You will have made a great purchase with that.

• Like 1