One for Super: Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Some of the funniest memories I have is of watching this with my parents. I also love Steptoe and Son.

Note: The description on Youtube reads: "For UK based viewers (or those who know their way round a VPN) the full version of this is available on BBC iPlayer until July 31st 2024."

• Like 2
  • Love 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

i have only seen a few a few episodes of some mothers do ave em but i do like michael crawford in it.

i should check how much it costs on dvd, provided it is on dvd and you can buy the boxset. :D 

• Like 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  372
  • Days Won:  0

@liampie It’s a classic British sitcom that ended before it should have, but at the same time, it didn’t overstay its welcome, which certainly makes the episodes that were made all the more enjoyable. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and Fawlty Towers both should have lasted longer but are brilliant because each episode is uniquely funny.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

@NottsCountyKev fawlty towers i have seen all the episodes as my dad would put them on. i think there was only two short seasons?

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em is a right laugh! It certainly finished early, but I imagine they started to run out of things they could have done with Frank Spencer. Also, there was a period when everyone seemed to be doing an impression of him. It’s one of the funniest sitcoms and has one of the most lovable characters.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I’m sorry to say I didn’t really like Some Mothers Do Have ‘Em, I’m not sure why I think it’s that kind of slap stick humour that doesn’t really appeal to me.

However Fawlty Towers on the other hand I found hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

I haven’t seen it, but I’m familiar with the character Frank Spencer. I did see the London Games skit where the actors reprised their roles and found it quite amusing. However, I haven’t seen the actual series.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  874
  • Days Won:  1

I like Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. The character of Frank Spencer is someone most people can relate to. We have all met a ‘Frank’, who may not be over-exaggerated, but the similarities are there. It’s one of the sitcoms I could easily re-enjoy rewatching. A lot of the stunts Michael Crawford did are exactly what makes it timeless. It’s a very funny and well-written show.

• Like 2

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

On 23/08/2023 at 07:21, Fan of Big Tone said:

I’m sorry to say I didn’t really like Some Mothers Do Have ‘Em, I’m not sure why I think it’s that kind of slap stick humour that doesn’t really appeal to me.

However Fawlty Towers on the other hand I found hilarious.

Did you like Norman Wisdom, @Fan of Big Tone ? He was a similar type of character who I thought a bit hit and miss.What about Laurel and Hardy.It's a very fine line with what makes us laugh.I always found Buster Keaton and Harold LLoyd much funnier than Charlie Chaplin.

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Don’t forget I’m not quite as ancient as you @super_ram :biggrin:

I can’t really remember the old silent movies except what I’ve seen since. I do remember a Norman Wisdom who oddly I did enjoy and Laurel and Hardy but I could never get on with the Frank Spencer character.

• Haha 1