Match Discussion: FA Cup 2nd Round - Shrewsbury (H)   Live

menzinho

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

I can only echo @Piethagoram's thoughts that our defending was unprofessional and it has cost us a third round tie. Why, several months into the season, are our defenders still trying to dribble the ball past opposition strikers when they're the last man? It's been happening so long I can only conclude that they've got straw for brains.

I can't comment much on the rest of it as I only listened. Personally I wasn't too unhappy with the line-up, Randall, Gosling and Morias need game time so they can help us out more over the coming weeks. Scoring two at home should be enough to see you into the next round.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  902
  • Days Won:  11

3 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

I can only echo @Piethagoram's thoughts that our defending was unprofessional and it has cost us a third round tie. Why, several months into the season, are our defenders still trying to dribble the ball past opposition strikers when they're the last man? It's been happening so long I can only conclude that they've got straw for brains.

I can't comment much on the rest of it as I only listened. Personally I wasn't too unhappy with the line-up, Randall, Gosling and Morias need game time so they can help us out more over the coming weeks. Scoring two at home should be enough to see you into the next round.

7 months into the season, have I missed something 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

Several, not seven @4everapie :D it was happening a lot last season too though.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  902
  • Days Won:  11

6 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

Several, not seven @4everapie :D it was happening a lot last season too though.

Indeed we got away with it last season mostly anyway, now we're being found out in defence.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

I only hope now that Luke Williams and the powers that be realise that we need a total revamp of our defence. I love Luke's tactics BUT you need the right players to carry them out and that's what we haven't got.  Our defence was just about ok for the National League, but totally found wanting in League 2. Numerous games have highlighted this. If by some miracle we got into League 1 this would be further highlighted as we have already lost to 3 higher league teams this season. Come on Notts, get some capable defenders in in January!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

we do have players who can defend, but maybe they just dont work well together and especially in this back three system at times. one really good defender could see improvements, much like when we signed john bostock in midfield. he made a massive difference and it got us playing. kyle cameron and aden baldwin are fine in my eyes.

i feel a bit less disappointed today, but having listened to luke williams it seems he feels responsible for the players.

we need at least two defenders back at most times and the wingers need to pull back too. much quicker than we tend to see, but some of yesterdays mishaps would not help if we had parked the bus. they would have still gone in.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,480
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

The defending was so bad that some people on Social Media thought the game was fixed 🤣 You can see how they think that but if they watched Notts every week, they'd know it's not unusual for Notts to defend so badly. Although last night was the worst so far I think. 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  305

Really poor defending led to the goals, but let's remember we're a team that likes to attack. Signing Aden Baldwin was a great move for us, but we can't make excuses for our mistakes. We need a strong defender to lead the way at the back. With some proper training and video analysis, we can fix these errors and become a better team. Our players aren't bad, but our tactics do leave us vulnerable. Shrewsbury did their research, but even though our defense was terrible, we can still improve.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  8

As disappointing and bizzare as that was, we were never going to win the cup. But have lost out on potential revenue.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  145

If we succeed in finishing in the top three or advance through the playoffs, all of this will be overlooked. It might also turn out to be a hidden advantage. I can’t remark on the performance as I’ve only seen the highlights, which keep me up at night, but I can say we’ve faced much tougher situations and emerged stronger. Let’s stand by the players, because they were rewarded last week and with our backing, they might just do it again this time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

positive signs are needed in the next game, but we do need to put these mistakes behind us. It annoyed me watching live, frustrated me more seeing the highlights but i do now feel for the players. the footage will have caused further embarrassment and we know what they are capable of. we know if they focus and work hard, these wont be grouped in games but the one off.

lets try to reflect on how they have fought for us and try to get behind them again.

• Love 1