Can Notts County make the playoffs?

Robbie

At the moment, yes, but it’s uncertain whether Stuart Maynard can enhance our performance in away games. We need to improve this if we want to secure a spot in the playoffs and aim higher. It won’t be possible without better form in away matches. I hope Maynard adjusts the strategy for away games to something more balanced. The current formation works well at home, just not when we’re playing away.

• Like 3

@JustLikeJuve We have 9 home matches and 9 away matches left. 75 points may be enough to secure the last playoff place, that's 10 wins and one draw or 9 wins and 4 draws. Anything more a bonus.so we can afford another 5 to 7 defeats which is doable on paper. Shoring up the defense is the key I think.

On 05/01/2024 at 13:17, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

Absolutely we can.  We have been on a relatively poor away run, and whilst we are doing well we aren't without issues that have been present for a good while.  So, there is an opportunity for new eyes and new ideas to positively impact the team.  That plus some new blood and I don't see why we can't make the play offs, and, let's face it, automatic isn't out of the question yet either (albeit much more of a long shot).

18 matches left, 9 at home, 9 away, 31 points needed to get to 75 which should be enough with 10 wins and a draw. We could afford  up to 7 defeats too, although more draws would help secure a playoff for certain.

• 4 weeks later...

After last night's results at least 10 teams including Notts are in the mix for a playoff place come end of the season 

I know that we can't keep relying on other results but last nights results in League 2 demonstrates, even if we didn't know it, that every side in this league is capable of beating anyone.

Notts have been dropping points but lots of other sides are dropping points too.

If a side can put a run together from now till the end of the season, the playoffs could be achieved by that side, even automatic promotion, although an automatic birth is Stockport, Mansfield and Wrexham's to lose now.

With teams dropping points, it is quite possible that 7th place may be possible with between 72 & 75 points now.
Notts are still very much in that mix.

We have two home matches, coming up. If we can get six points from those two matches, it would certainly put us in a good position.

• Like 1

Maybe Perhaps,  But if Notts do get into the playoffs would it really benefit the club as a whole? Yes it would give the Fans extra game(s) to watch, but if the Magpies lose and lose Badly, how will this reflect on Stuart Maynard and the rest of his coaching staff ? Lets be honest Notts aren't ready for League 1, an off season where new players better players come in to make an impact to push on and make Notts a force to be reckoned within this League next season is the key for the Magpies future.

Edited by Wheelbarrow repair man
Correcting spelling mistakes
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Maybe Perhaps,  But if Notts do get into the playoffs would it really benefit the club as a whole? Yes it would give the Fans extra game(s) to watch, but if the Magpies lose and lose Badly, how will this reflect on Stuart Maynard and the rest of his coaching staff ? Lets be honest Notts aren't ready for League 1, an off season where new players better players come in to make an impact to push on and make Notts a force to be reckoned within this League next season is the key for the Magpies future.

If Notts do scrape I to the playoffs it will probably be in either 6th or 7th place then anything could happen. Whether Notts are ready or not depends on how they perform in these last 14 matches 

I don't think that if we lose in the playoffs, it will have a detrimental affect apart from us probably losing Macaulay and Jodie, but we will gain a few million to build a side that will challenge for automatic promotion next season.

• Like 2

how we would do if we did gain promotion is debatable, i think our better creative players like jodi jones, dan crowley and aaron nemane would get more time on the ball. we would have to strengthen and mostly in the defence. yet this is a situation to be discussed later on. :)

right now we are not looking like strong candidates to finish the playoffs, we need to pick up a few more wins but i do believe we can achieve it.

saturday will be a big test for notts, if we can get a good result there it could help massively and of course teams are dropping points like flies. others are becoming more stronger and are showing good form, we need to do the same.

• Like 3

At this moment, I’m not thinking much about the playoffs because we’ve had some big setbacks. Through injuries, losing our manager and poor performances. Despite this, we’ve done well to be where we are and I firmly believe we would be higher without much of this. However, I don’t want to disappoint myself and therefore I’m preparing for us to finish outside just as a way of coping. If we finish in the playoffs, great but I don’t want to get excited until we know either way.

• Like 3

Do you remember that joker Oliver King he used to write about Notts on Nottingham Live ? He once wrote Notts were owned by Derek Parvis, ring any bells ? Anyway he writes for Football League World now. He seems to think if Notts  don't get promoted or make the playoffs it's a disaster . Why ? I've said it before and I'll say it again Notts aren't ready for League 1. It may happen 2024/2025 it all depends on recruitment this Summer. I still think Notts are a side capable of attracting quality players to the Lane and over the past couple or so season's the Recruitment team have unearthed some Top Talent without breaking the Bank. Lets wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Do you remember that joker Oliver King he used to write about Notts on Nottingham Live ? He once wrote Notts were owned by Derek Parvis, ring any bells ? Anyway he writes for Football League World now. He seems to think if Notts  don't get promoted or make the playoffs it's a disaster . Why ? I've said it before and I'll say it again Notts aren't ready for League 1. It may happen 2024/2025 it all depends on recruitment this Summer. I still think Notts are a side capable of attracting quality players to the Lane and over the past couple or so season's the Recruitment team have unearthed some Top Talent without breaking the Bank. Lets wait and see.

That's ridiculous. Why would it be a disaster for us not to make the play offs? The owners have repeated that it's all about progression. We have the 10th biggest budget in the division according to the CEO so play offs would be a stretch based on that. We've demonstrated you can find absolute gems if you're a well run club with good people - Jones, Macca, Ruben, etc, etc, all came to us as a Non League side (I know Jones was only on loan) - so if anyone leaves, I'd think there will be no shortage of players happy to replace them.

• Like 2

@Simon Clark I agree. Many clubs in this league would love to have players like Bostock, Crowley, Jones, Robertson, Didzy & Macca in their side. There's a very valuable bunch of players there for starters. These players wouldn't be out of place in League 1.

• Like 1