National Insurance cut.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

So National Insurance has been cut by 2% today for working people.Thats very nice for them, but Pensioners on State Pension with a small private or Company pension, don't benefit because they don't pay National Insurance even if they work. So all working Pensioners, & there's tens of thousands of them, don't get any tax cut today.

In fact, pensioners tax burden is going up, not down. Pensions are taxed, so pensioners who work pay tax on every hour that they work because their tax free allowance is swallowed up by their Pension.

Sorry for my gripe but that is the reality for millions of Pensioners like myself.

• Sad 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

it would have been nice if the govenment gave everyone a break who live on less than a fair living income. the way they target disabled people makes me feel sick, elderly people too. i was worried that winter would be difficult this past year for people due to the energy costs. :( 

• Like 2

Supporter+

I agree @liampie 

Working families are struggling too and a £900 saving between two partners working is welcome. But everyone should have been included. I would have welcomed a 2% basic rate tax cut or an increase in the personal tax free allowance, and of course helping those on benefits too.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Bear in mind though @Robbie that Gordon Brown (the ultimate stealth taxer) only ever raised income tax allowances in line with inflation and it was the Tory/LibDem coalition that raised it by around 3.5K in 4 years (Lib Dem manifesto pledge that was implemented), to around 10K from about 6.5K. If the current policy had been maintained, personal allowance would be nearer 10K. 

I do agree though that allowances have been frozen now for what? A couple of years? It is about time it was raised again, and I bet it will be for April as the desperate government tries to buy back votes (good luck with that). I wouldn’t bet on any basic rate drop for quite a while.

I would also say that the triple lock has worked well for pensioners compared to the old system and they’re finally starting to claw back some money to a more respectable amount, but work still needs to be done.

Unless I’ve missed it, Starmer (becoming Mr change his mind) also appears to be very quiet on the raising of income tax allowances as well.

• Like 2

Supporter+

I get what you say @Fozzy Pensioners have become an afterthought. The triple lock has only gone up by inflation, so in reality pensioners have had no rise at all. Tax allowances have been frozen and are not keeping up with inflation. More pensioners are being brought into paying tax as are basic rate taxpayers.

12 million Pensioners are a large voting block. Which Party is going to jump first?

• Like 1

Supporter+

The National Insurance rate cut .

Is it really a tax cut in real terms?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Supporter+

Income tax shock as 650,000 more state pensioners face HMRC bill from April

Pensioners are more likely to vote for the Conservative Party than any other age group. The latest Tory tax attack could change their minds.

The 2% cut in NI is definitely not benefiting pensioners. Our tax burden will be increasing, not decreasing.

Income tax free allowance needs to be increased in April.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1857490/state-pension-pensioners-income-tax-threshold-freeze-Jeremy-Hunt-stealth-raid-triple-lock

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
4 minutes ago, Robbie said:

Pensioners are more likely to vote for the Conservative Party than any other age group

This old age pensioner won’t be voting Tory that’s for sure. :panic:

• Like 1

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

2 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

This old age pensioner won’t be voting Tory that’s for sure. :panic:

Blame all these youngsters who thought voting made them feel like they are big boys and girls, when they don't understand politics and thought it was right to vote for the Tory Party. I remember the debates on Twitter, some of the idiots who felt life would be better are living a mundane existence based on their poor decision.

It's not just them but fools who thought they could be trusted to be fair. Some people were angry at the joke made by the Labour Party.

The Tories take more than they give.

They run our nation into the ground whilst their mates and themselves get rich.

• Like 1