Burns night

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

We had our Burns night last week as we couldn’t fit it in tonight, it’s the first time I’ve had haggis our daughter in law bought it back from a trip to Scotland it was served with the traditional tatties and neeps and a delicious whisky sauce.

• Love 3
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Believe it or not,I once sent a haggis to New York @Fan of Big Tone

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
2 minutes ago, super_ram said:

Believe it or not,I once sent a haggis to New York @Fan of Big Tone

You need to expand on that story @super_ram I’m curious.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

2 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I've heard this story, so let's see if I can get the gist correct.

Super sent fresh haggis to New York because the price in America is very expensive. He had a friend that enjoyed it and I believe it started as a joke. I can't be quoted on this, as my mind is interpreting memory.

This story has come up a few times, most recently when I mentioned to my dad that I had watched "So I Married An Axe Murderer" starring Mike Myers, one of my favourite films as a young boy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

🤢 i am not meaning to offend but haggis is disgusting, much of the scottish traditions like it are foul. they have done well to make it so widely common because i am not sure you can actually enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

New York, that hamlet in Lincolnshire🤫

No @Piethagoram , The Klasson Lace Corporation,1333 Broadway,NY 1800 ,USA,If my memory serves me well( it was mid 70's ish

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, liampie said:

🤢 i am not meaning to offend but haggis is disgusting, much of the scottish traditions like it are foul. they have done well to make it so widely common because i am not sure you can actually enjoy it.

I’m in agreement with @liampie. This is something that could put me off eating for weeks.

7 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Are you sitting comfortably?Then I'll begin.(Anyone remember that?)

When I left school,in 1963, I began work at Simon,May and Co.Ltd,Lace manufacturers and distributors based at Weekday Cross,Nottingham. Although not confined solely to lace I was working in the lace Export Despatch department in a junior capacity.About once a year Jack Klasson of The Klasson Lace Corporation visited Europe on business and would spend time being looked after by my firm on his way back from mainland Europe.I'd never met him but was aware of his visits as he was treated as a very important visitor.Somehow our paths never crossed for a few years, probably due to holidays.Anyway ,fast forward to about 1970 and Mr. Klasson was on one of his visits.We'd been told to expect him as he did one of his tours around the building and to treat him with great respect.Well he suddenly burst on to the scene very noisily, followed by several directors and managers all kowtowing and  grovelling, a bit like a royal visit  I suppose. The group moved around the area explaining what work was being done and gradually I was spotted,or to be more accurate it was a large photo of The Rams League Two winning side on the wall at the side of where I sat. JK  came over and started asking me questions.He  was what I'd call a typical brash New Yorker(from films) aged 50/60,spoke very loudly and domineeringly and also dressed very loudly.He asked me about the photo and of course I was more than happy to explain to him.He was interested in my accent(can't imagine why) and  said he only knew of the LA Rams.He asked me my name and then asked if I was related to the U,S.senator of the same name.He continued by asking me about my family etc while completely ignoring the group with him,I seemed to make quite an impression on him(naturally)

Thereafter whenever he  visited he always came to our room,bursting in  alone and unannounced shouting"Where's that Bairy?(That's how he pronounced my name)"Come on Bairy,tell me about them Rams of yours"and "I hope you've sent me all my lace"He always asked about my parents and if I was ok.He added that he liked talking directly  to me because I didn't flim flam (Deceive) him,He didn't have much of a good opinion of a lot of people he dealt with.

Anyway on one of JK's visits he told me he was going to fly to Scotland later in the day (getting to the point of my ramble now)and I asked him if he would spend any time Haggis hunting while there.He thought my comment hilarious but I didn't expect him to return a few days late,present me with an actual Haggis and request that I despatch it to America.So not far off with your recollections  @Chris

It smelt quite nice actually, @liampie and @Joshua though I've never tasted it myself..

• Like 1

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

1 hour ago, super_ram said:

@Chris

It smelt quite nice actually, @liampie and @Joshua though I've never tasted it myself..

Believe me it doesn't, it stinks any house out. 😝