Match Discussion: Game 35 - The Railwaymen (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,480
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Another defeat. They are starting to mount up now. On form, we are one of the poorest sides in the division. Thankfully we have enough points in the bag and we won't be relegated. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Very dissapointing result today. It looks like Crewe got their tactics and shape exactly right, but Notts didn't have a clue what shape was their best, chopping & changing several times during the match 

Crewe were clearly the better team today. They used the high press to perfection against us and were clinical on the break.

Notts having the majority of the possession counts for nothing if they cannot defend their area when it counts. How many times have we been undone by this tactic this season 

This performance today just Sums up our season. Joint top scorers in the League, but on the other hand, second worse concession of goals in the League. 

I don't blame Maynard for our troubles, I blame Luke for allowing the bad defensive play to continue, without doing anything about it. The January transfer window was a lost opportunity too.

Looking at the other matches today, many of our rivals have lost or drawn today, and remarkably, we are still in the mix for that seventh place.

IN the end though, our defensive frailties are going to cost us this season. A team rebuild is in need for next season, even if this doesn't include Langstaff, Jones and Cowley.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

A very poor performance by Notts, Crewe were everything we weren’t, strong in defence and quick on the break. We are too slow in our build up play preferring to play sideways or back instead of being brave and making that defence splitting pass.

It’s not Maynards fault the flaws were beginning to show towards the end of Luke Williams tenure. One positive point was the new lad Jatta who looked very lively and quite a handful but let’s put some corners into the box for a change instead of short corners, mix it up a bit, we are too predictable.

• Like 2

Supporter+

At least Stuart Maynard has a plan B and a plan C, all Williams had was a plan A.

I would rest McGoldrick, Bostock and Nemane for the Sutton match and replace with Macari, Jatta  and Austin. Macaulay needs to go back into the centre forward position with Jatta and Jones supporting, Macari at right back and Austin, Robertson and Cowley in midfield, with a back 4 in defence.

If we have to go long instead of playing out all the time so be it.

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

Even more Ammo for the Anti Maynard gang, but after today's performance well who's not to say they don't have some points.  This tippy tappy Football tactic was coming unravelled when Williams was still at the Lane and Maynard was bought in to carry on with this tactic and tighten the defence up, well the defence on occasion have not leaked as many goals in some recent matches but the Magpies still lost those games. Is the new Gaffer out of his depth ? Are certain players not up to League 2 standard? It would seem like it, Maynard came in when Notts were facing the top teams in the Division , but that excuse is starting to wear thin for some Fans and only gathering 4 points from the games he's been in charge  doesn't bode well for the Gaffer. It would seem Notts forwards have forgotten how to score. This possessional Game Plan Needs To Be Scrapped  and a  new way to play needs to be introduced, sooner rather than latter or the Magpies decline will continue, Even if it's only going back to the basics. Crewe had three shots on goal and scored each time and were clearly the better side. If this losing streak isn't stopped a lot of Notts Fans are going to start looking for other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Supporter+
12 minutes ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Even more Ammo for the Anti Maynard gang, but after today's performance well who's not to say they don't have some points.  This tippy tappy Football tactic was coming unravelled when Williams was still at the Lane and Maynard was bought in to carry on with this tactic and tighten the defence up, well the defence on occasion have not leaked as many goals in some recent matches but the Magpies still lost those games. Is the new Gaffer out of his depth ? Are certain players not up to League 2 standard? It would seem like it, Maynard came in when Notts were facing the top teams in the Division , but that excuse is starting to wear thin for some Fans and only gathering 4 points from the games he's been in charge  doesn't bode well for the Gaffer. It would seem Notts forwards have forgotten how to score. This possessional Game Plan Needs To Be Scrapped  and a  new way to play needs to be introduced, sooner rather than latter or the Magpies decline will continue, Even if it's only going back to the basics. Crewe had three shots on goal and scored each time and were clearly the better side. If this losing streak isn't stopped a lot of Notts Fans are going to start looking for other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Time for a plan D.

Grind out results and go long. We have Jatta who's big enough and strong enough to receive the long ball, hold up play and distribute it to Jones, Cowley or Langstaff.

The pretty football may have to stop for a while 

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

You're so right Robbie, Notts need to learn to win Ugly my only worry is that their current game tactic is so ingrained that they won't be able to play any other way. I do so hope I'm wrong. The sign of a Good Team is they can adapt to the way any opposition plan and counter it as Crewe proved.  As you stated in another one of your comments there needs to be one Hell of a Shake Up down the Lane in the Summer hopefully by then Cedwyn  Scott Matty Palmer and Badge will be back from their long term injuries, and certain players will be let go and others released from their contracts.  And both Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley will be offered extended contracts and who knows there may even be a New Man n the Dug Out as well. We'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Supporter+

I agree @Wheelbarrow repair man with most of what you say.

We have 13 games left. At a stretch we need 9 wins to have any chance of making seventh place. Personally I think it is unlikely now 

We need stronger players in this league that can graft, harass and muscle their way through a match, particularly in midfield and the centre of defence. A mixture of muscle and flair is needed.

We have the flair but lack the muscle. We also need more height at the centre of our defence, and we have to be better at dead ball situations, corners and free kicks, Maybe a long throw merchant too. I remember how Andy Legg was so dangerous with his long throws.

I'd give Stuart till the end of the season because we are safe from the drop. That's a positive. He has shown he is prepared to try different things unlike Luke 

The owners have made it clear what type of Head Coach they want and believe in, so I think we should trust there decision making. They will know if it's time for a change.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Issue is, this Notts side cannot play ugly, it is too lightweight to try and play physical. I watched Jatta and my in depth analysis after 45 minutes would be that he looks quite quick and ran around a bit! He didn’t really do anything else. Looked a bit weak against their centre halves, and not that great in the air. He needs the ball over the top to run onto, but if the defence sits deep he won’t have that option.

The main trouble now is that we had a really small squad at the start of the season and lost three of those players to long term injuries by October. That has meant that the rest of the 1st XI are burnt out and can’t give any more. The urgency has gone, and there just isn’t the same effort being put into closing down the opposition.

Today was pretty awful, we didn’t even start to play until around the 35 minute mark and by then the game was gone. At one stage in the second half you could even see the frustration on Balwin’s face when he had to play the ball back to the keeper as he had no other options available.

Subbing off Robertson was an error and Crowley was playing way too deep and was completely ineffective for most of the game. I will add though that the Crewe players were embarrassing with their feigning injuries, but luckily the ref wasn’t having any of it.

3 more points needed to stay up and that’s all we can expect to do this season now. Big summer rebuild required, but unfortunately we have gifted too many 2 year contracts to players proving that that they can’t step up to the levels required, and that could be a massive sticking point.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Supporter+
12 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Issue is, this Notts side cannot play ugly, it is too lightweight to try and play physical. I watched Jatta and my in depth analysis after 45 minutes would be that he looks quite quick and ran around a bit! He didn’t really do anything else. Looked a bit weak against their centre halves, and not that great in the air. He needs the ball over the top to run onto, but if the defence sits deep he won’t have that option.

The main trouble now is that we had a really small squad at the start of the season and lost three of those players to long term injuries by October. That has meant that the rest of the 1st XI are burnt out and can’t give any more. The urgency has gone, and there just isn’t the same effort being put into closing down the opposition.

Today was pretty awful, we didn’t even start to play until around the 35 minute mark and by then the game was gone. At one stage in the second half you could even see the frustration on Balwin’s face when he had to play the ball back to the keeper as he had no other options available.

Subbing off Robertson was an error and Crowley was playing way too deep and was completely ineffective for most of the game. I will add though that the Crewe players were embarrassing with their feigning injuries, but luckily the ref wasn’t having any of it.

3 more points needed to stay up and that’s all we can expect to do this season now. Big summer rebuild required, but unfortunately we have gifted too many 2 year contracts to players proving that that they can’t step up to the levels required, and that could be a massive sticking point.

@Fozzy

I get your points @Fozzy Notts just don't seem capable with dealing with the high press and this problem has carried on since the last half a dozen games of last season.

Teams have figured us out and all seem to play a similar game against us now, and we are incapable of countering it.

One way is to go direct but we seem reluctant to do it even though it has worked when we've tried it occasionally.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

We could only go direct down the channels though as we are too small through the middle, we would need a proper target man for that and we just don’t have one.

You’re absolutely right @Robbie, we have never been able to deal with the high press, even when Birchnall was in charge. Today, Crewe nailed us with it and doubled up on both our wingers as soon as they got the ball. Contrast that to Crewe’s first goal, two Crewe players over for a short corner and Notts only send one player over to stop it. They had all the time in the world to get that ball into the box and just cannot defend crosses.

I don’t blame Maynard, he’s trying to find solutions to problems that have been here for a long time. Richard Montegue’s team are the real culprits, for their failure to find defenders good enough for league two. He’s been more obsessed by their passing stats rather than their defensive ones.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

I can't say too much about the match as I only saw the end of it when it was already done and dusted. Under LW we could gloss over days like yesterday as we'd had a good start to the season and were sitting near the top. Now the table tells a more realistic story.

We had a soft start to the season that probably led many of us to think we're better than we are. But as soon as we started playing the current top six or seven we started to struggle, and it hasn't changed. We are just not effective enough at either end of the pitch to decide tight games in our favour. We've won just four games by a single goal this season. It's not a new problem, but it''s one that Stuart Maynard hasn't got to grips with yet.

21 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Richard Montegue’s team are the real culprits, for their failure to find defenders good enough for league two.

We seem to have missed an opportunity to strengthen our back line over the last couple of transfer windows. But the root of the problem goes back further: Ian Burchnall inherited a team that looked terrified to leave our half of the pitch and placed a lot of focus on being braver and taking more risks. Since then, every time we've signed a player (even defenders), the feedback from fans of their previous clubs has been the same: "he's great going forwards, but a bit dodgy at the back". It's given us a few years of brilliant football, but now we're lacking players who simply focus on the bread and butter of preventing the opposition scoring.

22 hours ago, Robbie said:

One way is to go direct but we seem reluctant to do it even though it has worked when we've tried it occasionally.

We should definitely mix it up more during games to keep the opposition on their toes, but trying to turn into a long ball team with our skillful but physically weak team is a recipe for disaster. Until last season we played with a target man in Kyle Wootton - it would be handy to have an option like him again for League Two, but that ship has sailed this season sadly.

• Like 4

Supporter+
1 minute ago, DangerousSausage said:

I can't say too much about the match as I only saw the end of it when it was already done and dusted. Under LW we could gloss over days like yesterday as we'd had a good start to the season and were sitting near the top. Now the table tells a more realistic story.

We had a soft start to the season that probably led many of us to think we're better than we are. But as soon as we started playing the current top six or seven we started to struggle, and it hasn't changed. We are just not effective enough at either end of the pitch to decide tight games in our favour. We've won just four games by a single goal this season. It's not a new problem, but it''s one that Stuart Maynard hasn't got to grips with yet.

We seem to have missed an opportunity to strengthen our back line over the last couple of transfer windows. But the root of the problem goes back further: Ian Burchnall inherited a team that looked terrified to leave our half of the pitch and placed a lot of focus on being braver and taking more risks. Since then, every time we've signed a player (even defenders), the feedback from fans of their previous clubs has been the same: "he's great going forwards, but a bit dodgy at the back". It's given us a few years of brilliant football, but now we're lacking players who simply focus on the bread and butter of preventing the opposition scoring.

We should definitely mix it up more during games to keep the opposition on their toes, but trying to turn into a long ball team with our skillful but physically weak team is a recipe for disaster. Until last season we played with a target man in Kyle Wootton - it would be handy to have an option like him again for League Two, but that ship has sailed this season sadly.

I agree, we just need to mix things up. Be less predictable, stop playing into the hands of our opponents, who are all playing in a similar way against us.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

I think SM is trying to do that already to be fair. Luke Williams tended to stick to his favoured team and formation, and after a while the opposition knew exactly how we were lining up. SM has tried to switch things around - but do that too many times and you'll end up with confused and nervous players in unfamiliar positions.

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I've reached the point where there's zero time for me to be patient in passing the ball back, nobody seemed to try to make a forward run, and it took things quickly against Notts. Crewe were by far the better team, although their dark arts frustrated me because did they need to do it? Notts made the game very easy for them to cope with, I am not sure the time-wasting and players dropping like flies made much difference. If anything, it gave Notts more time after the 90 minutes when they did turn up to do something - which by that point it was always too late. It's difficult to feel sorry for anyone in this situation because everyone played very poorly.

Whilst, I don't think Stuart Maynard deserves to be taking all the blame. He's reaching a point where it's difficult to overlook some of his current issues which I do honestly feel are being caused by the players.

Jodi Jones, Macaulay Langstaff and Aden Baldwin are the only players I felt did enough to warrant a positive mention. Baldwin prevented numerous attempts on goal, Langstaff didn't stop trying and everything that seemed to be bright came through Jones.

Crewe scored two very easy first goals.

I still don't like seeing teams attempting to interfere with the keeper, it's gone beyond the presence of being there and a light bit of pushing to something on a whole different level. I've seen officials give free kicks just for a push. Yet there's no excuse for any of our players for switching off, it was a well worked goal by them and anyone who could have done something simply became a bystander. Our players need to stop watching the game at times as if they're not actually on the field and be more aware of what they can do in order to defend situations.

Crewe's second goal is by far more irritating. Major communication error between two players, one of which should have left the ball clearly for the other to deal with - without appearing to try to hold the other's hand.

I have seen one of said players get far more comments thrown his direction, but the player who wasn't going for the ball and didn't go for the ball. They made the situation very dangerous and are at fault, as anyone with a pair of eyes can see by the point the header was in motion. It became a risk of injury or collision which turned it into a comical error. Why can't we get that close to marking the opposition? Doing so to our own player is just void of responsibility.

Then an unfortunate bounce straight to a Crewe player, to which again, Notts were ball watching and not the player.

I honestly didn't see contact made for the penalty, I saw it in slow motion and I thought the Crewe player clipped their own heels in order to try to get our keeper sent off. There was time for him to easily lob an open net. Even watching the highlights and going frame by frame I am unconvinced it was anything but that.

It doesn't really matter, we had nothing to suggest that we could make a game of it. Usually by the 70th minute Notts tend to get a surge and therefore look better and whilst the changes helped to make us more attacking minded. The damage had already been done, pushing for our first, left us open for their third, and it was game over by that point.

You have the game finished by the 90th minute mark, to which all of a sudden we become brighter and play as if we have half an hour to go.

Crewe didn't make it difficult for us to play, we did. There should be no false credit to Crewe, because it comes down to us not being good enough. The thoughts of the players, whether it be about morale, focus, or their uncertainties regarding Maynard, are of great importance. They let us down and this is the first time I felt there was little in their defence of how we played. I believe the players are letting Maynard down too.

The signs are that we aren't capable of reaching the playoffs, that is fine.

If some of the issues is pressure, Maynard must find a way to take it off the players shoulders but if they can't help themselves - I am not sure if he can do anything to change it. Given the opportunity, I would go Neil Warnock mode on them at full time. Perhaps, even Sir Alex Furguson.